Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Molwanh Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello,

Since last sunday (january 6th), me and my friend were unable to connect to each other game in order to continue our multiplayer game.

On the computer who is trying to join, the loading page freeze at beginning.
We both use Steam.

We have made a lot of tests :
  • Joining a new game of the other (waiting in campaign lobby) --> NOK (tried in both ways)
  • Joining an arena game started by other --> NOK
  • Joining another random game in lobby (campaign or arena) --> OK
  • Trying direct connect --> NOK (with ports opened on router)
  • With two instance of the game started on the computer (with debug) --> OK : the debug was able to join the hosted game on the same computer, through LAN or through direct connect with LAN forbidden on host)
  • Fresh re-install --> NOK
  • While we were doing some test on a game opened to everyone (campaign lobby), another guy (we don't know) joined our game. After that, my friend was able to join the lobby one time (but only one time frown )

We don't have any mod install or active and it was working fine before (we are almost at the end of the game !).
Last time we played (and it was working) was late november (we didn't had time to play since). We didn't change anything since on our computers.

Please help !!!!! We are getting crazy !

Thanks !

Support
Support

If you are both using Windows, can you connect in the Classic version of the game?

If you use Discord, you could try invites through that program.
LAN may also be an option, but since you are not on the same local network, it would require VPN software, such as Hamachi or Tunngle.

Try doing a clean boot and then test the game. Click Start, or hit WinKey-R, type in msconfig and hit enter; in the General tab, click Selective Startup, uncheck Load startup items (if required) and leave Load system services and Use original boot configuration options checked. Next, click on the Services tab, check the box to Hide all Microsoft services, then click the Disable All button (maybe make a note of which are currently enabled/disabled), then click OK and reboot the computer.
Run msconfig again to switch back to the normal boot configuration.

Try creating a new Windows administrator user account, switch to that account and see if that makes any different when hosting/joining a new game in a new profile.

Are you both using the same ISP, or living in the same region? If this issue is network related, there would presumably be something different between the two of you compared to the connection between either of you and others you've tested hosting/joining with.

Molwanh Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for your answer.

In the same time of your answer, we've made an additional test : I sent the savegame to my friend and we tried to play from that.

Strangely, it worked... (but it didn't work when he start a new campaign).

I think we will finish like that without searching answer...........

Support
Support

Well, I'm glad you were able to work around the problem, if not fix whatever was causing it.

stranger
stranger
And i would love to see multiplayer working for me.

>If you are both using Windows, can you connect in the Classic version of the game?
YES and it didnt work

>If you use Discord, you could try invites through that program.
Tried via steam - didint work, same freeze on both my and friends pc (we both have ver from 23.02.2020 )

>LAN may also be an option, but since you are not on the same local network, it would require VPN software, such as Hamachi or Tunngle.
same shit here

> Try doing a clean boot and then test the game. Click Start, or hit WinKey-R, type in msconfig and hit enter; in the General tab, click Selective Startup, uncheck Load startup items (if required) and leave Load system services and Use original boot configuration options checked. Next, click on the Services tab, check the box to Hide all Microsoft services, then click the Disable All button (maybe make a note of which are currently enabled/disabled), then click OK and reboot the computer.
Run msconfig again to switch back to the normal boot configuration.
NOPE. doent help. antivirus and firewall disabled as well.

>Try creating a new Windows administrator user account, switch to that account and see if that makes any different when hosting/joining a new game in a new profile.
Not an option. and i dont really believe that can work.

>Are you both using the same ISP, or living in the same region? If this issue is network related, there would presumably be something different between the two of you compared to the connection between either of you and others you've tested hosting/joining with.
Same ISP, same router even

Could you please come up with more options which could help? this is very annoying and i cant find much info about this bug on steam forum.

Support
Support

On the same router, you should be able to use LAN without VPN software.

Have either of you tried playing with anyone else?

If you can not join other people, either, try starting the game, switch to windowed mode and lower the game resolution (and maybe check the option to mute the sound volume when the game doesn't have focus), start a multiplayer game, hit Esc, open the Connectivity Menu, optionally disable online multiplayer (if it is enabled) and make sure LAN Connections is enabled (or that can be done in the options before starting a new game).
Next, start the game again from the 'EoCApp.exe' program file (doesn't matter if the first instance is started through Steam/Galaxy or the executable), select Join Online Game in the Campaign section, switch to the LAN tab, rather than Online, and try joining.

stranger
stranger
I was not able to see my friend in LAN, he was not there.

the solution which worked for me - i created multiplayer arena game first, then left arena then was able to connect to normal multiplayer.

this solution i found on reddit, posted 2 years ago and it still works! smile

Support
Support

Glad you got it working.
For LAN, did your friend double check that LAN visibility was enabled in the connectivity settings? Could your friend see your lobby in the LAN tab, if you created a new game?

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard