Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
I had been playing couch co-op using steam in home streaming without issue for a long time. But now, whenever I launch the game via in home streaming, my controllers are not being recognized in game. The controllers are functioning properly and can still be used to open the steam overlay, but they don't work in the actual game. I've also tested in home streaming using other games, and everything works as it should. Any suggestions?

Support
Support

So the controllers work properly when starting the game directly on the computer?

Try right clicking the '..\SteamApps\common\Divinity Original Sin 2\bin\EoCApp.exe' executable file, select Properties, switch to the Compatibility tab, and check off the option to always run as administrator, then see if that makes a difference.

Try disabling the Steam Overlay for the game (right click the game in the library, select Properties and switch to the General tab).

H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Thanks for the reply! Yes, the controllers work perfectly before the game launches. I can use both to navigate around in Big Picture mode, and once the game has started, I am able to call up the steam overlay using the center button on each controller. However, this is the only button that works. The game acts as is if no controller is plugged in and immediately loads into mouse and keyboard mode. The controllers work in other games over steam in home streaming, but not with Divinity 2 (and Dark Souls Remastered, which actually has the exact same issue). Again, this only occurs when I'm using Steam in home streaming, so maybe it's a steam problem, but this used to work without issue for me.

I tired using both your suggestions. With only one controller plugged in I set the game to run in admin mode and disabled the steam overlay. I launched the game via in home streaming and the controller was detected! However, this is the only time it worked. I then tried running the game with the overlay disabled but without admin and it failed to detect the controller. I then tried running it with the overlay enabled but with admin, and again it failed to detect the controller. So I went back to having both the overlay disabled and admin mode enabled, but this time it did not detect the controller. So I'm not sure why, but your suggestions seemed to work only once for me, and every other attempt to launch the game has had the same problem. The problem still persisted after rebooting and again disabling the overlay and enabling admin.

It's a strange problem, and I'm not sure what's causing it.

Support
Support

A few people had issues with the game crashing after a recent Windows update, when starting it through Steam Link, or (for some people) from Steam, but it would work starting the game directly from the executable. Disabling the Steam Overlay for the game would generally help, or a couple people switch it to run in fake fullscreen.

Did you try changing the controller profiles in Steam Big Picture Mode?

If you are using wireless controllers, do they have enough range to plug them in to the main system directly?

H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
One of your suggestions lead me to a fix. It's not exactly ideal but it's working now. My wireless controllers do not have enough range to plug into the host PC while still playing on the client. But your suggestion did remind me that I had a third old wired controller lying around. Plugging that into the host computer allowed me to use the controllers on the client PC without issue! It's like the game detected the controller on the host PC, so gave me the chance to select controller mode when the game started up. And since the controllers were seemingly working fine on the client side, it gave me the chance to actually use them in game. Kind of a strange bug and it's still not clear to me if it's an issue with the game, with steam, or with the configuration of my own PCs. But, it's working now! Thanks!

Support
Support

Thanks for the update. I'll create a bug report for this, so a programmer can take a look at it. With no way to reproduce the problem, it may not be possible to figure out if it is a game, Steam or Windows issue, though, and determine the exact cause to be able to fix or work around it.

stranger
stranger
Any news on this? I have the same problem. I cannot select "Enable Controller" in settings as it's greyed out (I think that was what the option is called).

I have an XBox 360 controller plugged into the client machine; it works fine in every other game I've streamed recently.

Support
Support

If the game does not detect a supported controller on startup, that will not be an option.

If you plug the controller into the host machine, is it detected then?

Do you have another controller you can try on the host machine, to see if the above workaround can get the Xbox controller detected on the client system?
If not, if may be possible to use a virtual gamepad. At least in Windows, Headsoft's VJoy Virtual Joystick Driver can be used (with the option set to block keys, in order to stop keystrokes from also being sent to the game).
After setting up the keys, you would need to use x360ce to get the game to recognize the virtual joystick. The default settings should be fine, though opening the x360ce program can make it easier to test the key layout and assignments.
I tested this some time ago, just setting up the left stick, Dpad, A/B/X/Y and start buttons (enough to confirm that would get local split screen going with a keyboard and Xbox 360 controller).

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard