Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#659654 29/02/20 02:20 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I get these error messages when I try to either 'Continue' my save or load one manually:

https://imgur.com/a/TdbExSX

Last worked about a month ago with no troubles. I've tried validating files, un- and re-installing the game (to a different SSD), disabling Defender and Malwarebytes, and enabling all firewall access to the game. No change.

I emailed Larian's support about it, but figured I'd ask here anyway for now in case they can't get to it soon.

Any help will be super appreciated. Thanks!

Solved by Larian Support! Thank you, Raze!

Last edited by VacuumBrainBimbo; 29/02/20 06:16 AM. Reason: link
stranger
stranger
I am having the same problem. My quick-save files have disappeared. The autosave files say they are corrupted or tampered with and I should not play them. For some strange reason, my computer crashed and then the game disappeared from my steam library. I re-installed it but the save files are still missing and autosave files still say they were tampered with or corrupted.

Last edited by Emperorwedge; 14/03/20 09:21 PM. Reason: New info
Support
Support

If the appmanifest_435150.acf file in the SteamApps folder is deleted or corrupt, that will cause Steam to list D:OS 2 as not installed.

Check the save folder to see if the quick saves are there.
Each save is a folder in the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition\PlayerProfiles\<ProfileName>\Savegames\Story' folder.

If the saves are still there, if you zip the lsv files in the save folders, does the size decrease significantly? The lsv files are already compressed, so if zipping reduces the size by very much it would imply that it is corrupt and there is missing data in the file (one or more sections replaced by zeros, for example).

You can also check the save using an extractor program, if you wish (download).
After starting the ConverterApp.exe program, switch to the 'PAK / LSV Tools' tab, and at the top under 'Extract Package', in the 'Package path' browse to the save's lsv file, then for the 'Destination path' browse to that or another profile's '..\savegames\Story' folder and enter a new folder for the extracted files (you can copy/paste the path from the path listed above and edit it; ie to be '..\Story\save_extracted') and click the 'Extract Package' button. This will give an error if the file can not be recognized as a save, or if the contents can not be extracted, or the size or checksum value of the data do not match what is listed for the corresponding file in the archive.

Do you have any recent backups of your Documents folder, where you may be able to recover any saves?

Some versions of Windows have a Shadow Copy feature that can automatically keep older versions of files. You can try right clicking the Profile's Story folder, or individual save folders, if applicable, select Properties and (if available) switch to the 'Previous Versions' tab to see if there are any previous copies.

You could try a file recovery program such as Recuva, but the more you use the computer after files are deleted (if that is what happened), the less likely they will be recoverable, and previous versions of overwritten files are unlikely to be fully recoverable.

For the Steam version, if you had cloud saves enabled, you can check in the Steam install folder, as well, since Steam keeps a copy of the profile and saves there, which it uses when syncing online.

With Steam, if the saves are still online (Steam did not sync, or the save became corrupt after syncing), you should be able to download them using the program Steam Cloud File Manager Lite (download). You need to be logged in to the Steam client and have the game's AppID (435150).

Alternately, you can log into Steam in a browser and use this link (that will also let you download saves, but you would need to manually rename them, as Steam combines the path and name together for the online name).

The tampering or corruption error means that at some point the checksum value when loading a save did not match the value created when the save was made. This means either something became corrupt or there was a problem with the loading process, but there is no way to tell just from that if that will cause a problem or how serious it may be. Once this check fails a flag is set in the save, so any saves made after that point will always give this warning.

Try browsing to the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition\LevelCache' folder and delete the contents. A corrupt file there can cause problems when loading, including triggering the corruption warning. If deleting the contents eliminates the warning when loading the save again, the file itself is fine and the previous warning due to a problem when loading.

Though very rare, a corrupt screenshot can also trigger this error, even when the save data is ok. Try browsing to the save folders and move, rename or delete the png screenshot file (especially if it gives an error trying to open it in an image viewer).

If you can not restore a working copy of any saves, email your latest to supportdos2@larian.com (or a Dropbox or Google drive link, etc), and I can checkit in the developer build of the game. If you are using any non-Larian mods, also include a list of those enabled and/or the modsettings.lsx file from your profile folder.
Each save is a folder in the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition\PlayerProfiles\<ProfileName>\Savegames\Story' folder.
In Windows Explorer you can zip a file or folder by right clicking on it/them and selecting 'Send To | Compressed (zipped) Folder' (and similarly in OSX/Finder).

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard