Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
It's quite jarring when you get to places like The Nameless Isle and your journal tells you that it hasn't even been full day since leaving Reaper's Coast.
I'm pretty sure that it would at least take a few months to get there cause Windego's narration states the party has gone on many more adventures and the fact that
The Red Princess(Sadha) has already laid all the Dragon eggs(3-4 my estimates) by the time you find her.

Personally I would make it an option in settings for Hardcore Roleplayers who like to make things up constantly , but not everyone enjoys having to constantly fill
plot-holes that were left on purpose. I'll also be creating a general thread on the effects that Source has on Space-Time.

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
What I find "interesting" is a bit different. Everything's like, this is important! It has to be done now! The sky is falling! Then you go off and do a ton a side missions without any affect on the so important to hurry main mission. I know that's common but it does take away from the immersion/suspense of a game.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I'm somewhat torn though not overly. Things I like are the immersion of time passing and actually having to do some personal maintenance like eating and sleeping, though I'm aware some people hate that kind of stuff. But seeing days and nights passing is significant for me, especially games where the night time can have significant effects: the recently-played Dragon's Dogma means night-time is often very dark indeed so if your lantern runs out it kinda sucks as you have the choice of blundering about in the dark or fast-travelling back to one of a few distant locations and trekking back to where you were the next morning. Oblivion was mixed in that the vendors would shut up shop and AI routines would change, though by default the nights were too light but a proper darkness mod made them more interesting. Currently playing hack-and-slash favourite Sacred 2 where nights mean at least a significant change in atmosphere.

But then there's the "so should I get on with it?" element which is the gnarly bit. I dislike even passing dialogue hassling me to do so but if that's actually implemented as a timed quest I am not a fan; especially the "stealth timed quest" that some games are fond of where you can find out the hard way it needed to be done by a certain time otherwise with no warning it auto-fails on you. I would rather live without that!

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Daylight/night time does add (although, I usually sleep at night in games that offer it). It's especially good if you are playing an assassin type character. I've yet to find a game that handles food well, though. Most use it for healing wounds. I'd prefer to have a player lose attributes if they don't eat routinely with especially harsh results for not drinking. Really adds to long trips in the wild or especially a desert environment. I wouldn't mind seeing the possibility of buying pack animals or wagons for carrying a lot of supplies. It would add strategy since these things would have to be guarded and even opening side quests of finding and dealing with the thieves. In this game, I don't even bother with food - I just sell it after making it more valuable with cooking (although I never did the math to see if that is a waste of time).

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Well my idea is more on the line of time passing properly than implementing time constraints. No new mechanics, just some improverd immersion.
Though having to truly race against the clock would force the player to figure out when a quest should tackled.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard