Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
I dislike Sera almost as much as Vivienne does. But in a manly way ofc.

Sera's lovely and cuddly and only slightly bitey and scratchy. Vivienne is... well, like some other people I've known IRL. Their verbal sparring always seemed to end in a bit of a draw: Vivienne could obviously outwit Sera in terms of the well-honed erudite put-downs she'd use in her political circles but Sera torpedoed a lot of her comments with creative vulgarity. I admit I feel a stronger desire to aspire to Sera's talent than Vivienne's: I just find that sort of lifestyle too suffocating.

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maldurin
By far I rather take a new Divinity OS in the mantle of BG, then a new Dragon Age Inquisition

What? DAI was amazing!
It's more action focused than DAO but it is also way more balanced and all classes are good.

journeyman
journeyman
I did enjoy Vivienne more than Sera, but they both have their quirks. I think looking at this from an alignment perspective best describes how I perceive them. Vivienne is True Neutral. She will always put herself first and make good or evil decisions whatever suits her best. Sera is Chaotic Good. She will always strive for good, but to the beat of her own drum. With her chaotic nature both she and I rubbed each other the wrong way with my stance being neutral good. While we both wanted good we couldn't see eye to eye on how to achieve good. Which caused frustration. With Vivienne being neutral she was easier to communicate with.

Since I can quantify them in this manner that means they were well written characters and that is worthy of praise.

Banned
Banned
For fans of the old - school Bioware team:

James Ohlen (Bioware/Baldur's Gate), Drew Karpyshyn (Bioware/SWTOR/Mass Effect), and Chad Robertson (Bioware/SWTOR) have gotten licensing from Wizards to work on a sci-fi themed RPG through their new studio Archetype Entertainment. Funding was secured in January.

There is hope yet for a proper, new cRPG in our life-time.

https://www.archetype-entertainment.com/

Last edited by kungfukappa; 06/03/20 07:12 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by kungfukappa

James Ohlen (Bioware/Baldur's Gate), Drew Karpyshyn (Bioware/SWTOR/Mass Effect), and Chad Robertson (Bioware/SWTOR) have gotten licensing from Wizards to work on a sci-fi themed RPG through their new studio Archetype Entertainment. Funding was secured in January.

This looks interesting even though Sci-fi RPGs aren't really my thing. I can't wait to hear more about it. smile

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Nobody_Special
This looks interesting even though Sci-fi RPGs aren't really my thing. I can't wait to hear more about it. smile

sci fi rpg is a very difficult formula. really, all we have for examples are Mass Effect and Fallout (there are other notables like Septerra Core, Rama, Sierra's Bladerunner, etc, but many of them end up being more "adventure" than "RPG".)

right now, I have huge mahogany for sci fi. I've been reading Cixin Liu's "Three Body Problem" trilogy, watching the Expanse, and getting just hyped on good sci fi like I haven't been in years.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by kungfukappa

That sounds like good news. I hope they come along with something great too, thanks for sharing.
More good games welcome smile

edit: Oh, look at their values:

Safety
People trust and respect each other at a level that allows for critical discourse without defensiveness.

Humility
We understand that we can always improve and learn from other team members and other studios.

Let's learn from them right now and take that to heart for this forum.

Last edited by LaserOstrich; 06/03/20 07:29 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
I dislike Sera almost as much as Vivienne does. But in a manly way ofc.

Sera's lovely and cuddly and only slightly bitey and scratchy. Vivienne is... well, like some other people I've known IRL. Their verbal sparring always seemed to end in a bit of a draw: Vivienne could obviously outwit Sera in terms of the well-honed erudite put-downs she'd use in her political circles but Sera torpedoed a lot of her comments with creative vulgarity. I admit I feel a stronger desire to aspire to Sera's talent than Vivienne's: I just find that sort of lifestyle too suffocating.

Urgh Sera's vulgarity is just... or her complete disinterest for anything beyond herself.

enthusiast
enthusiast
In all honesty I really don't care what Bioware think of BG3 Bioware stop being a great gaming company a long time ago the only reason why Bioware is still alive is to do with EA not letting Bioware die off all of the great writers are gone from Bioware Bioware is just a shell of it's former self now I hope Larian Studios does not sell out to EA if there do there will just end up where Bioware is now a dead gaming company

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
Originally Posted by TheInfinitySock
In all honesty I really don't care what Bioware think of BG3 Bioware stop being a great gaming company a long time ago the only reason why Bioware is still alive is to do with EA not letting Bioware die off all of the great writers are gone from Bioware Bioware is just a shell of it's former self now I hope Larian Studios does not sell out to EA if there do there will just end up where Bioware is now a dead gaming company

Pretty much all of this.

Bioware died after Mass Effect 2 and DA Origins IMO. Their writing and game development took a massive nosedive and they're completely mismanaged as evidenced by Andromeda and Anthem. I don't even have to touch their political schtick when their incompetence outshines everything else.

I just hope Inxile, Larian, CDPR, etc. don't go down the route of Bioware and BGS.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Blade238

Pretty much all of this.

Bioware died after Mass Effect 2 and DA Origins IMO. Their writing and game development took a massive nosedive and they're completely mismanaged as evidenced by Andromeda and Anthem. I don't even have to touch their political schtick when their incompetence outshines everything else.

I just hope Inxile, Larian, CDPR, etc. don't go down the route of Bioware and BGS.

Agreed we don't need another good gaming company going down the same path as Bioware

Cthulhu: FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT, WHO HAS DISTURBED MY- Oh its you...
Warlock: Greetings my lord-
Cthulhu: LET ME SLEEP-
A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Wiborg Sturmfels
Of course there was no comment from EA-Ware, ups Bioware.

Trent Oster from Beamdog twittered more and positiv about Baldurs Gate 3:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Of course Trent would have made BG3 himself but he is very decent and wishes his competitors all the best. thumbs up

any newer reactions? i was the same reaction as him before the 1st gameplay premier on march 4. his reply was on 18 feb.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Blade238

Pretty much all of this.

Agreed we don't need another good gaming company going down the same path as Bioware

Yeah and honestly even DAO was kind of bad, just not egregiously bad like the later entries in the series.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by Madaras
Joking or not. I sure am. After they massively ruined mass effect with Andromeda I don't trust Bioware with an RPG at all.

IMHO Andromeda wasn't nearly as bad as ME3; it lacked polish as EA/Bioware had clearly abandoned it early on but it was okay. I never really got all the hate.

So I waited till ME Andromeda was dirt cheap and I went in determined to just try to make the best of it. The thing is, the more I played it the more I liked it. The game mechanics were a lot of fun (I went melee, which I never did in the originals). Apparently they fixed the facial thing, or added a couple of models that were much better, I was actually sad that they had dropped support at that point.

Bottom line they were blatantly disrespectful to release the game in the state I saw it in at day one and the fan base got their attention. They again showed how bad their inner character was by just scuttling the ship. Upper management clearly demonstrated that businessman who don't use or understand their own product should do something else. They could have easily turned that ship around into a winner. It just needed an experienced "cleaner" to come in and fix the mess.

Former head of Bioware Montreal: "What do you want me to do?".

"Make me some coffee please."...pauses thoughtfully..."on second thought, I got it".

#663292 11/03/20 02:27 AM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Van'tal
Originally Posted by Madaras
Joking or not. I sure am. After they massively ruined mass effect with Andromeda I don't trust Bioware with an RPG at all.

IMHO Andromeda wasn't nearly as bad as ME3; it lacked polish as EA/Bioware had clearly abandoned it early on but it was okay. I never really got all the hate.

So I waited till ME Andromeda was dirt cheap and I went in determined to just try to make the best of it. The thing is, the more I played it the more I liked it. The game mechanics were a lot of fun (I went melee, which I never did in the originals). Apparently they fixed the facial thing, or added a couple of models that were much better, I was actually sad that they had dropped support at that point.

Bottom line they were blatantly disrespectful to release the game in the state I saw it in at day one and the fan base got their attention. They again showed how bad their inner character was by just scuttling the ship. Upper management clearly demonstrated that businessman who don't use or understand their own product should do something else. They could have easily turned that ship around into a winner. It just needed an experienced "cleaner" to come in and fix the mess.

Former head of Bioware Montreal: "What do you want me to do?".

"Make me some coffee please."...pauses thoughtfully..."on second thought, I got it".

Yeah, it was really pretty sad. I don't really know for certain what went on behind the scenes but I think much of it is pretty obvious, as stated here. Whether it was sacrificed because ME3's finale had caused such a ruckus or because Hudson had returned and simply had no interest in something that wasn't Anthem; I also wonder if there may have been an element similar to Levine's attitude to a Bioshock he wasn't involved in, too. It would've been interesting to see what they could've made of it had they actually given it the full AAA treatment, but as it is it turned out to be good enough that I spent a lot of time in it. And since I'll soon be looking for something new to play and there's a bit of a games drought at the moment, it may be time for me to finally give it another spin.

J'aime le fromage.
stranger
stranger
I enjoy most Bioware games, the only single player one I didn't complete was Andromeda. I barely made it an hour in before checking out, but games I can't leave sitting without my anxiety/ADHD kicking in are hard to play these days. Honestly, it's one of the reasons I'm glad this game is turn based.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard