Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict
Please. Lurker of the deep. A warlock with a old one pact or a demon or devil is too common. Why not a warlock who serves a ELEMENTAL being? Elementals are rarely used on CRPG's.

Here is a amazing video about this particular patron

Here is about the class > http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/warlock:lurker-in-the-deep-ua

Contrary to what many people belief, warlocks AREN'T CLERICS. Their relationship with their patron is more akin to a master/apprentice than anything else. On pre testing of 5e, WLKs was INT based characters and it was changed by player feedback. Also, considering that Larian loves to make the map interactive, a warlock with tentacle powers can use the scenario in his favor. That will be amazing.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SorcererVictor; 09/04/20 10:31 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Me, I most want a Celestial patron. Mainly because I love being a sort of all-around magic fighter using Eldritch blast, but with some extra support healing on top sans the whole godly religious mace-wielding boring parts of being a cleric that make me feel like such a cliche anytime I try to make one. But also, it'd be such a nice contrast with Wyll's devil pact.

"So, what dark deal did you make, fellow warlock?"

"Me? I hooked up with a mf'ing unicorn, man."

"...oh." *awkward silence that seems to last centuries*

I'm actually partial to GOO and the Archfey as my second choices, but I like the Lurker as well, that seems very cool. Really, anything but the Fiend stokes my fire (ironically). One of the companions already did that dance, so I wouldn't want to copy him, and also it's the main pact you ever see in play. I'd take Fiend over a non-warlock if pressed, but it's not my particular jam. At least GOO is delightfully Lovecraftian and many of us will accept that all day long. Scary fey are fun as well; I love their flavor. And kraken? Spooky sea entity? That's kind of Lovecraftian as well in its own way--mysterious being from beyond the known world, tentacles... I dig it.

You would think GOO would be most useful against the Mind Flayers, though.

Overall I'm most desperate to see Celestial because aside from the aforementioned contrast, it's the most fun I've had playing D&D by a HUGE margin in terms of gameplay... but I'd love to see the others be in as well. I guess it's mostly a matter of division of resources. The more they put in, the less detailed they can make your interactions with your patron beyond abilities and little audio barks and such. Personally, I'd mostly be inclined to seek more options rather than less, just in the hope that Celestial would be in there. I don't know why, I just really, really, really love it. As you say, patrons are more like mentors than distant gods, so it's all the flavor of a warlock but with heals.

Patrons are so personal, so in a sense I'd rather leave them more to headcanon than to the game itself anyway.

old hand
old hand
We know that all the PHB patrons are going to be in by full release, they haven't mentioned yet how many others will be in.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
We know that all the PHB patrons are going to be in by full release, they haven't mentioned yet how many others will be in.

Lurker is from UA, not PHB

Originally Posted by Wynne
(...) I'm actually partial to GOO and the Archfey as my second choices, but I like the Lurker as well, that seems very cool. Really, anything but the Fiend stokes my fire (ironically). One of the companions already did that dance, so I wouldn't want to copy him, and also it's the main pact you ever see in play. I'd take Fiend over a non-warlock if pressed, but it's not my particular jam.(...)

Well said. I wanna see Archfey too. And between archfey, celestial and lurker, i believe that the archfey is the most likely to be in the game and lurker the least like since it involves more unique mechanics and is from UA, not PHB...

I love magic but don't like much fire based magic. IDK why. A patron from the plane of water will be far more interesting for me and a huge contrast to the nine hells/abyss.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic

Lurker is from UA, not PHB

Originally Posted by Wynne
(...) I'm actually partial to GOO and the Archfey as my second choices, but I like the Lurker as well, that seems very cool. Really, anything but the Fiend stokes my fire (ironically). One of the companions already did that dance, so I wouldn't want to copy him, and also it's the main pact you ever see in play. I'd take Fiend over a non-warlock if pressed, but it's not my particular jam.(...)

Well said. I wanna see Archfey too. And between archfey, celestial and lurker, i believe that the archfey is the most likely to be in the game and lurker the least like since it involves more unique mechanics and is from UA, not PHB...

I love magic but don't like much fire based magic. IDK why. A patron from the plane of water will be far more interesting for me and a huge contrast to the nine hells/abyss.

You might like that cool Djnn Noble Warlock Pact from the UA, but I doubt any UA subclasses will be in until some kind of DLC/Expansion pack at best, except maybe Aberrant Mind Sorcerer who was clearly inspired by BG3 and the mutant Tadpole in your head.

apprentice
apprentice
I'm with you, Victor. Water appeals to me more than fire. Even in DOS2, which I'm playing for the first time in two concurrent games, I ended up scrapping my solo Pyro playthrough and restarting as Necro/Hydrosophist (in addition to my multiplayer Necro). So much more fun.

Oooh, that Djinn sounds cool Omega, I could definitely go for that. I really like the idea of any sort of outsider having a symbiotic relationship with a pawn or pawns, and Djinn are very much in the same vein without being too similar to the rest. You'd imagine different motives and thought processes from the other entities, alien as they all are in their own way. The more there are, the more it gives a sense of 4D chess being played, where you never quite know how you could be getting manipulated by forces beyond your understanding. I love that sense of mystery.

Warlocks do seem to be popular, so hopefully they'll be well-represented. I fell in love back in NWN2; that was my favorite class to play in the game. (Partly because of the wardrobe, admittedly; that pre-MotB outfit sure was cool.) For many reasons, I just never had so much fun in D&D before warlocks came around. I enjoyed it, but warlocks just do it for me, they are my jam.

addict
OP Offline
addict
On NWN2, Warlocks got nerfed to oblivion, but i found this amazing mod that makes warlock more P&P like, meaning that the chilling tentacles now can grapple, world of change is like P&P, the DC of eldritch blast got corrected... ( https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/other/warlock-reworked-102g )

I already finished 2 Warlock runs on NWN2 thanks to this mod.

Divinity, i played for 6 hours but become too bored to continue. Is not that is a bad game, i just hate one summon limit, ultra limited range for spells/marksmanship, cooldowns and loot based progression. I like when magical gear can do magical thing. For example, i an re playing BG. Got a ring that summons a Djinni once per day BUT if the Djinni is destroyed, the magical ring is also destroyed and i lost the ring on chapter 4 ( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2063415188 ) I like when mundane gear fells like mundane gear and magical gear fells like magical gear instead of your character DNA.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Kaedrin did some great work with his PRC mod for NWN2. He added a ton of 4 base classes, 45 prestige classes, and reworked other classes. He had a cmi option in his mod, that allowed the Eldritch Glaive to get number attacks equal to BAB attacks.

As for my Warlock hopes for BG3, I would like to see the Hexblade Warlock. I really wan to try Treantmonk's Armadillo build. Well, with a few tweaks I made.

addict
OP Offline
addict

IMO if i an a Warlock searching a patron on D&D world, i would choose a Marid. That video explains why. And as i've said, the relationship of a warlock and his/her patron is more akin to master/apprenticeship than a cleric/deity.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard