#666376 14/04/20 10:55 AM
kujo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger

kujo #666379 14/04/20 12:08 PM
Support
Support

How far back is your most recent save without the tampering or corruption error? The warning means that at some point the checksum value when loading a save did not match the value created when the save was made. This means either something became corrupt or there was a problem with the loading process, but there is no way to tell just from that if that will cause a problem or how serious it may be.
Once this check fails a flag is set in the save, so any saves made after that point will always give this warning.

If you did not resave after getting the warning, try browsing to the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition\LevelCache' folder and delete the contents. A corrupt file there can cause problems when loading, including triggering the corruption warning. If deleting the contents eliminates the warning when loading the save again, the file itself is fine and the previous warning due to a problem when loading.

Though very rare, a corrupt screenshot can also trigger this error, even when the save data is ok. Try browsing to the save folder and move, rename or delete the png screenshot file (especially if it gives an error trying to open it in an image viewer).
Each save is a folder in the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition\PlayerProfiles\<ProfileName>\Savegames\Story' folder.

If that doesn't help, or you re-saved:

Do you have any backups of your My Documents folder, where you may be able to recover a copy of the save(s) before this error started?

Some versions of Windows have a Shadow Copy feature that can automatically keep older versions of files. You can try right clicking the save folder(s), or the Profile's Story folder, select Properties and (if available) switch to the 'Previous Versions' tab to see if there are any previous copies.

If you email supportdos2@larian.com with your save (or a Dropbox or Google drive link, etc), I can check if there are any corruption related issues that cause errors when loading the save in the developer build of the game. Unfortunately, the checksum value is calculated across all of the save data, so there is no way to identify what changed.
Each save is a folder in the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition\PlayerProfiles\<ProfileName>\Savegames\Story' folder.
In Windows Explorer you can zip a file or folder by right clicking on it/them and selecting 'Send To | Compressed (zipped) Folder'.

Raze #666384 14/04/20 01:16 PM
kujo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
>>try browsing to the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition\LevelCache' folder and delete the contents.
>>Try browsing to the save folder and move, rename or delete the png screenshot file (especially if it gives an error trying to open it in an image viewer).
Cannot worked... frown

>>If you email supportdos2@larian.com with your save
I sent shadowcopy. smile

kujo #666436 15/04/20 10:57 AM
kujo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I confirmed the reply and replaced the save data.
Thx gods!! xD

kujo #826348 11/08/22 04:15 AM
S
stranger
stranger
S
I also had save files which were regularly getting corrupted, but this did not help me. I did eventually find the root cause, and I never found it posted anywhere else, so I figured I'd make an account and post it here.

I play the Steam version of the game, and I was getting save files that were not listed as options on the load screen. I would play for a day, come back the next day, and find that I couldn't load any saves beyond an autosave several hours behind where I had ended the night before. I could see the save files in the LevelCache folder as described above, but they were not being loaded properly in the game, and renaming the files/folders didn't help. After it happened multiple times, I got frustrated, and resigned that I was probably just going to have to stop playing for good.

I did figure out the root cause eventually, though. My save files were getting corrupted because Steam was saving my files to the Cloud by default, and when I was done playing for the day, I would save, close the game, and turn off my computer relatively quickly. Closing the game would trigger Steam to start uploading the saves to the cloud. The next day, it would download the saves again. If the upload was interrupted, such as by turning my computer off, some saves would only be partially uploaded, and the corrupted cloud version of the file would override the healthy local version of the save file the next time I logged into Steam.

With this root cause in mind, there were two easy solutions to prevent future saves from being corrupted.
1. Wait until Steam finishes uploading save files before turning off the computer when done playing
2. Go to Steam > Divinity Original Sin 2 > Properties > General and uncheck the Keep games saves in the Steam Cloud box

I went with option 2.

I never found a way to restore the original save, I think the corrupted version overwrote the healthy version in a way that is not recoverable for me. This was easier to tolerate after feeling assurance that it was not going to happen again.

Larian, I don't know all that much about how Steam's cloud saves work, or if you determine how they get pulled or what. I presume you have some ability to set the terms of the upload/download, since your save file system seems unique among my Steam games. If you do have the ability to control the upload/download process, I suggest you perform a corruption check on the downloaded save files prior to overriding local files of the same name, and test it out by turning off a computer in the middle of uploading saves to the cloud, and seeing if those saves are still usable when you boot the computer back up. If this is the same cloud save system you use for other games, I'd apply whatever change you make to those too. You'll probably save some fans from a few pretty crappy moments if you do.

Last edited by Samaritan95; 11/08/22 04:18 AM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard