Print Thread
Mac crossplay with Windows freezes screen on mac #667357
18/05/20 05:44 PM
18/05/20 05:44 PM
octosaurus Offline OP
stranger
octosaurus  Offline OP
stranger

A friend in the UK (running Windows) and I (California based, running Mac) have started a
Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition
campaign about 3 weeks ago on via steam. We haven't had any issues, but last week the game screen would freeze on my mac. The game is saved on my mac and I send him an invite when we play. My internet is gigabit fiber, but it does sometimes fluctuate, but I haven't had any problems on any other multiplayer game on mac or console.

The issue:

- The game freezes when playing multiplayer with my friend. But only the screen freezes on my mac side. I can still hear gameplay music, can click and interact with things in the game, and my friend has been completelyl unaffected. My screen will freeze and that image stays on the screen tabbing in and out does not refresh the screen. The CPU is barely running and I am only using ~60% RAM.

- The screen freezes 99% of the time during battle, but randomly (i.e. not always during an action on screen. Can happen while "idle"). One time it froze as soon as my friend connected.

- Tried setting all graphics options to low and turning off anything that would increase processing, but the continue persists.

- No other processes are failing on my mac when the screen freezes

My Mac:
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018)
Processor: 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8 GB 2133 Mhz LPDDR3
Graphics: Intel Irish PlusGraphics 655 1536 MB

My friend's PC:
ASUSTek FX502VD
Processor: 2.8 Ghz Intel i7-7700HQ

Here's a couple example screenshots where the screen froze on the mac side during gameplay. Idk if they're helpful, but I thought it wouldn't hurt.
- Example 1 (as soon as my friend connected)
- Example 2 (randomly during battle)

Re: Mac crossplay with Windows freezes screen on mac [Re: octosaurus] #667361
18/05/20 09:39 PM
18/05/20 09:39 PM
Canada
Raze Offline

Larian Studios
Raze  Offline

Larian Studios

Canada

This is a known issue in that particular cave, in OSX. If your friend finishes off the fight in single player, you should be able to rejoin without issue.

Updating to the latest Catalina 10.15.5 beta version should also help (there are some related Intel graphics driver updates included).
Apple has a signup process to be able to get access to the betas. I'm not sure if there is an estimate for the public release.

If you update to the beta and have any issues going through the combat there, please email supportdos2@larian.com with the sampler output from the Activity Monitor (or post/PM a Dropbox or Google drive link, etc):
1. verify local files (in the Steam library, right click on the game and select Properties, switch to the Local Files tab and then click on the 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache...' button.).
2. launch Activity Monitor
3. start the game and get into the freeze state, or whever the worst case scenario is after upgrading to the Catalina beta
4. Alt-Tab back to Desktop (windowed display mode may help) and check Activity Monitor. What do you see? How much CPU does the game consume?
5. double click on the game process and press the 'Sample' button. Wait until Sampler is finished
6. save sample output using 'Save' button