Next Thread
Print Thread
#667527 28/05/20 09:14 AM
Cerces Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I have an Issue with D:OS2.
I am not very tech-savvy, but I will try to give all the information I have. I play on PC, bought the game on Steam, have about 55h total in the game. My graphics card is a 960GTX and it runs an Nvidia.
The issue I encountered, I couldn't find anything close to it in the forums on Steam or Larian's website. It started in the Meadows during the elven elemental encounter around 35h into that file. To put it simply, every single command I give to a character during exploration and social interaction, there is a 1-2 seconds delay until they act. Moreover, in combat for any action to work properly, I have to repeat the process of selecting it and then the target multiple times. The animations and the sounds play but the action doesn't happen and it costs no action points. Enemies also lag, their turns take forever between every action, like 20-30 seconds. It's ruined my game, I cannot enjoy any interaction.
I then tried to load that save to a prior point, 4h earlier, and about 15m into playing the problem came back. As that savegame is modded, I thought maybe one of them corrupted something. So I started another game without any mods, and the problem hit that one again as soon as I entered the Fort Joy Area.
The closest I could find on the forums are issues of technical lag, but my game is already on my SSD as far as I know, and lowering every setting didn't help at all.
I hope I get a reply soon, I wished to finish D:OS2 before trying BG3! Thanks in advance for any help I get.

Support
Support

Do you have similar problems if you start the Classic version of the game?

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs before starting the game, especially anti-virus, graphics utilities, or DirectX injectors, etc?

When you lowered the graphics settings, did you also lower the resolution, or switch to Windowed or Fake Fullscreen display mode, to see if that would make a difference?

Try lowering the sound quality in-game. You could also try changing the Windows sound quality settings (one person with D:OS EE reported that a very high default sound quality caused performance issues in-game).

Try verifying local files: in the Steam library, right click on the game and select Properties, switch to the Local Files tab and then click on the 'Verify Integrity of Game Files...' button.

Try exiting out of the Steam client, and starting the game directly from the '..\SteamApps\common\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\bin\EoCApp.exe' program file, by right clicking and running as administrator (or '..\Divinity Original Sin 2\Classic\EoCApp.exe' for the original release).

Try doing a clean boot and then test the game. Click Start, or hit WinKey-R, type in msconfig and hit enter; in the General tab, click Selective Startup, uncheck Load startup items (if required) and leave Load system services and Use original boot configuration options checked. Next, click on the Services tab, check the box to Hide all Microsoft services, then click the Disable All button (maybe make a note of which are currently enabled/disabled), then click OK and reboot the computer.
Run msconfig again to switch back to the normal boot configuration.

Try creating a new Windows administrator user account, switch to that account and try starting the game from there, directly from the executable.

Try resetting your graphics driver's 3D settings to default (right click an open area of the desktop to start the nvidia Control Panel).

Make sure the Virtual Memory setting in Windows is set to automatic / system managed, rather than being disabled or set to a fixed size. To check or change virtual memory settings: Win 7/8 or Win 10.

Make sure DEP (Data Execution Prevention) is set to default, or exclude the game:
1) open the Start menu
2) for Win 7
- right click 'Computer' and select 'Properties'
- click 'Advanced system settings'
- select the 'Advanced' tab and click the 'Settings' button in the 'Performance' section

for Win 8 or 10
- right click 'This PC' and select 'Properties'
- click 'Advanced system settings'

3) select the 'Data Execution Prevention' tab, and if applicable:
A) change the DEP setting to the first option (Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only)
B) leave it set to all programs, and add an exception by clicking the Add... button and browsing to the '..\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\bin\EoCApp.exe' program file
4) confirm by clicking the OK button, and reboot if any changes were made

One person with performance issues with D:OS EE on an i7 CPU fixed it by setting the game not to use the first 2 CPU cores, since Windows was running everything else on them, as well. Another was getting stuttering, and fixed it by switching the game to use only one core, applying, then switching it back to all 4 cores.
To try this, start the game, then start the Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc or right click an open area of the Task Bar), switch to the Processes tab, right click on EoCapp.exe and select 'Set Affinity...'. After that, try unselecting Core 0 and 1, apply and test the game, or unselect most of the cores, apply and select all of them again.

Also in the Task Manager Processes tab, try right clicking EoCApp.exe and under Set Priority, select High or Realtime.

Cerces Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks a lot Raze, I'll try all that and come back.

Cerces Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
So, I tried every one of those that were applicable to that savegame, and none worked. I still have the same ''action delay'' problem. It's not lag, or a graphical issue, it's like the engine itself is stuttering.
The thing is, if I can't find a solution to this problem, I don't see myself putting much more time into the game at all. Just to have the file be corrupted after spending another 30h into a game. Sorry if this sounds rambly I'm just frustrated.
I captured some footage of the game running and of how it looked in the task manager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g6T6OBikGk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IrNI6vT0kuYPSuJ4bYMLE5jLxHhWjzcr/view

Support
Support

Please email supportdos2@larian.com with a dxdiag report (WinKey-R, type in dxdiag and hit enter, then when it finishes loading click on the 'Save All Information...' button and save the report somewhere handy) and check the '..\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\bin' folder for the gold.log file to include (if it isn't empty).

Also add your latest save (or a Dropbox or Google drive link, etc) and a list of mods enabled and/or the modsettings.lsx file from your profile folder, or a Fort Joy save in the new game would be easier, if the issues is as severe.
Each save is a folder in the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition\PlayerProfiles\<ProfileName>\Savegames\Story' folder.
In Windows Explorer you can zip a file or folder by right clicking on it/them and selecting 'Send To | Compressed (zipped) Folder'.

Cerces Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
ok, I'll do that, thanks a lot!

Cerces Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I also want to say, I'm legitimately impressed at the quality of your support. Even if my problem isn't solved, its obvious you took the time to read the issue and find a tailored solution instead of just posting an automated response. I'm truly thankful.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard