Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello, i absolutely loved the trailer and liked a lot of things in a game play but i think something still need at least a consideration. I also like to state that it is only my opiniins what i would love to share with teh Community and the developer. Would be wonderfull to know what other folks think 😀
First I want to write a little bit about me to let you know the background of my opinions
I am a Larian fan from a long time. From teh first Divinity actualy. I realy loved that gamÄ™ for its wonderfull story, and combining dark atmosphere and dark, dirty World with a black humor (Monty Python alike)!
I played it few Times, as well as Ego Draconis (that one had a greate begining but Got tiring near the end, so i kust be honest, i didnt finish it)
I played solo and coop of Divinity Original sin and I liked a lot of stuff there but not all - for me the tactical battles with bosses were Great but most of the fights with mibs Just took too long... And also the atmosphere wasn't as Good as in the first DD game.
The second OS is waiting On my wishlist. With 3 Kids i don't have much time to play these days, but i definetly looking forward to play that game
So much for Larian.
My greatest game of all time is... BALDUR'S GATE II.
That was my first real game (maybe after the Old X-com)
And The One I played many Times and the one that is to me what Abbey Road is for me in rock music 😜

When I heard that Larian is making BG III I was very happy and optumistic but when I saw the trailer my jaw Fall down, I was BLOWN away out of my socks!
The gameplay looked amazing also, very atmospheric!
I would like to Point out only a few things, wchich I didn't like

My greatest issue is the dialog system. All that atitude of saying "I want to ask him...", or "I pretend that..."
I have read some People think its like playing real RPG session. Well I used to do that in the past. Especialy in Warhammer World. And I think the actualy fun of playing a roleplaying game is that you PLAY the ROLE.
So we were allways saying what our avatar would Say, and I think This is the only way to create immersion and the real roleplaying feeling. When I play RPG (or CRPG) it's because I want to be in the fantasy World and be sombody else (be it a dwarf or an elf or even human but with magical Powers or with Just a Great sword in his hands). Is it not the real reason we all do play games? To have an oportunity to be sombody else and live through an adventure wchich we cannot in our real life?
I think the dialog system presentet in the gameplay kind of ruins that for me.
I also do think that if Larian wants to make a BG game and not Just another Divinity gamÄ™ in Forgotten Real s settinga, they should leave some things wchich were in original series.
One of them is that dialog system. Wchich was very Good I think, with a lot of response option it did gave a real oportunity to play and be almost whoever we wanted. I played a Good guy, i played neutralne also one evil man seeking only power like Irenicus and never felt I am forced to say (see that immersion, it felt like This elf or human was actualy me😉) something I didn't mean.
So it gave a lot of option and was working fine. Why would you like to change that?

The other things are lesser things, but still about keeping the feel of the same saga.
I think about icons and the UI. I think they are realy nice in the gameplay but they don't make me think : "Look! It is Baldur! ". Off course the Old UI is not pracrical but would be very nice to have something from the original series made in the modern way. What do you think?

And The combat. I know its very sensible subject but the original BG was real time with pause. I think it did it quite well (it stands untill now) and was famous for it.
I am not totally againts the turn combat, actualy I like it quite a lot but as I said in the first OS it made the game drag too much for me.
Maybe there is an option to add it Real Time as an option or at least in some situation.
In My Dreams I would love to fight in real time and have all harder fights with bosses and strong enemies as an turn based combat. But still my opinion is that in the series reknown for RTwP it should be at least as an option.
Sorry for all bad English, and possibly strange letters and for such a long post.
Would like to know how do you folks feel about the gamÄ™ as a BG title, and especialy about the dialog system.

Gretings and Larian - keep up the good work!

old hand
old hand
Yeah no one is a fan of the tenses, hopefully Larian studio figures out that folks don't like in EA

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
Yeah no one is a fan of the tenses, hopefully Larian studio figures out that folks don't like in EA

I think they are using it as a plot device of some sort...as in we’re seeing through the characters eyes via the tadpole or being interrogated about how we arrived in our current situation.

We’ll wake up in the real world with Minsc stroking his hamster and debating on cutting our head off.

‘Boo does not know what to think of you’

Last edited by macadami; 05/05/20 02:41 PM.
stranger
stranger
I think that Larian does a wonderfull job here in general.

Nonetheless there is one thing that makes me think that BG3 will not be a real BG and that is the Party size. I know that this opinion is not for the mass of the people out there but i'm an active PNP player as well and for a good group Composition you just need at least 5 roles to be fuillfilled and that is Frontliner(Warrior, Barbarian, Paladin), Arcan class(Sourcerer or Warlock), Priest for Healing, Rouge for Stealth and Lockpicking and a Nature Char(Druid, Hunter) for Nature stuff.

To protect the second Line of Characters another Frontliner is good as well what makes a Group of 6 Optimal.

Whenever i played a CRPG (That i more Like to call "Party RPG") that has only 4 Character slots i feel to be pinned to one specific group composition that is more or less a bad compromise and forces me to decisions that i would't take if i had the choise (eg Dual Classing to get the missing role filled out).

Even if that sounds like i don't like what Larian did here, that's not what i try to say. I Love what they are tring to achive here. In My Opinion this is exactly what is missing in the Party RPG Genre. A Game bringing this genre to the presence. I Just think it could be even better if they would consider a different partysize.

(bythe way i just don't care if its turn based or pausable realtime)

stranger
stranger
Party size! I totally agree. It's one of my main two concerns.
It doesn't feel like to much of a problem for most, i'd guess. But although i love divinity original sin 1 and 2, the party size maxed to 4 has always been one of the reasons i prefered baldur's gate (yes, there are other reasons, yet some things are better in divinity, ofc, it's not all simple).
It is very important, i recon. It multiplies the strategical choices and possibilities. I often find fights look very similiar from one another in DOS, whyle they are all so different in baldur's gate (and yes, i know how hard this sound, and yet i strongly feel it).

The other point i'm worried about is action points. I really liked the AP system in DOS 1. I really disliked the one in DOS 2. Les AP = less choices, possibilities, and therefore, more turns that are all the same, more fights that are all the same, and so on. Just because from all the very many options you get, it's often the same one that will work best. Seeing you only get one action per turn, period, in BG3, worries me. And yet i don't want to judge it in advance, as i might be better than the ap system of DOS 2. I'm just worried cause i don't know yet, i might be brilliant, or not. Looking forward to test it (cause i will, ofc).

But no matter what, larian, keep up the good work. What you achieve is amazing every single time, and perfection should never be a goal to anyone, so be sure that my critisism are not given through hate, but through love! <3

apprentice
apprentice
now that I have played DOS EE, and checked DOS 2, I can agree with some of the concerns about Larian Studios interpreting Baldur´s Gate experience.

Yes..I liked a lot the combat system of DOS EE, with elements being combined, and furniture and items being used.

But...I do hope that the general art and script direction of BG3 was managed by another group of designers.

DOS reminded me of Star Wars I, which frustrated old fans of Star Wars because it sounded too childish - and of course the original fans were older.

This Divinity game looks like an action game for kids (with lots of flashes, lights, noise, Super Mario Kart-like stuff), almost like some action game with some RPG on it.

Baldur´s Gate, on the other hand, was a REAL rpg game. There were mostly no unecessary flashes and special effects, because what matters is the story and the combat solutions, not the visual effects.

I just tried to play DOS 2, and tested the combat in the arena, and basically I could not follow what was happening. Ok, maybe that is actually more realistic with a true battle, but that is not exactly the spirit of
RPG games...because...well..not many of us had (fantasy) military training to actually play it in real time. And those who really like real time action, they can play other shooting games.

Anyway, I do hope all the excess flare and visual effect have been removed so that BG3 can actually look and feel like a 3D version of BG2, and not a D&D forgotten realms mod/adaptation of Divinity.

S
veteran
veteran
S
GO FOR THE EYES BOO!
-> RPG codex

you people are a joke

Last edited by Sordak; 30/05/20 08:08 PM.
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Noober..."Hey'ya"

....or not.

journeyman
journeyman
In the most technical sense, all Baldur's Gate 3 needs to do and have to be Baldur's Gate 3 is be set in the same plane as Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, have the same characters, and take place after the events of the 2nd game.

For me, the D&D aspects were always a key part of the Baldur's Gate franchise. Take away everything D&D and there wouldn't be a Baldur's Gate. Heck, the city of Baldur's Gate is in the PnP tabletop game.

So, here are the things I feel BG3 should have now that the technical stuff is out of the way.

1. A character we can create and role play as.

2. The D&D classes and subclasses.

3. Struggle with an inner power that may or may not be worth tapping into.

4. Great character interaction with our party members.

5. An engaging story.

6. A healthy respect for the lore of the Forgotten Realms.

(optional) 7. A giant space hamster that goes for the eyes.

"I used my last magic poo to check in on my daughter." Scanlan Shorthalt.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dragon_Master
In the most technical sense, all Baldur's Gate 3 needs to do and have to be Baldur's Gate 3 is be set in the same plane as Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, have the same characters, and take place after the events of the 2nd game.

For me, the D&D aspects were always a key part of the Baldur's Gate franchise. Take away everything D&D and there wouldn't be a Baldur's Gate. Heck, the city of Baldur's Gate is in the PnP tabletop game.

So, here are the things I feel BG3 should have now that the technical stuff is out of the way.

1. A character we can create and role play as.

2. The D&D classes and subclasses.

3. Struggle with an inner power that may or may not be worth tapping into.

4. Great character interaction with our party members.

5. An engaging story.

6. A healthy respect for the lore of the Forgotten Realms.

(optional) 7. A giant space hamster that goes for the eyes.

I'mma correct you on #7: A miniature giant space hamster that goes for the eyes.

apprentice
apprentice
the giant space hamster is important.

Overall, I am glad that some studio improved on the combat mechanics of BG2 towards 3D environment, also with elements effects and
other cool stuff.

Divinity series deserved all its awards, of course.

I have enjoyed playing DOS 2 recently...

maybe the adjustments I would make would simplify and not make it harder for the producers and software Engineers.

Simplify on total amount of items, gold, collectibles, improvement through economic trading...or finding gold and items in barrels, which does not make much sense at all.
Also, simplify the extra visual effects towards the necessary. There is a very old but fine game about that, called Time Commando, where the
movements are simpler, without flashy effects, but still awesome.

The DOS 2 environment was already super cool...by itself...there is no need to include excessive visual or material stimuli for people to enjoy the game.

Again - Larian Studios deserves a lot of credit for what they accomplished.
of course, I am nobody to say what should be done.

I just think the internet brought us excessive stimuli and information....so...by focusing on the story and the combat mechanics, and removing the extra stimuli,
Larian studios would be doing gamers a favor...I say that based on some cognition and neuroscience courses I took during university.

S
veteran
veteran
S
>make the game uglier
yeah idk about your degree but i for one would recommend you playing EVE online or another spreadsheet simulator

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard