Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#658663 06/02/20 10:29 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Who is the canon main character, in your opinion?

I played Lohse up to the pocket dimension, and based on the story I got through, she seemed to have a much better claim to "protagonist" than the rest of my party (Red Prince, Beast, Sebille). I think a soothsayer even claimed something to the effect of "the fate of our world depends on you fulfilling your destiny, Lohse."

I'm curious if anyone thinks Ifan has a claim, as I've never used him at all.

Last edited by Callaich; 06/02/20 10:34 PM. Reason: Mobile autocorrect....
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Several (mostly NCOs) were left open for a possible sequel IMO but, I agree that Lohse seems to be the most likely canon main character.

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
Fane could be. Consider how well and closely his story is woven into the main plot.

There are no primary canon character in D:OS2, if we taking into account planned prestory of the "Fallen Heroes". Story wise, all six characters (or seven with custom made) saved the world as a party. Not sure how Larian planning to capture all the characters endings of D:OS2 in the sequel, and I have a gut feeling that it was or will be canceled.

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Really, other then Divine Divinity, none of the main characters carried over.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Rather contentiously, there was the other main character from Beyond Divinity...

J'aime le fromage.
W
journeyman
journeyman
W
I'm playing a custom made main.
But from my memory of the trailers, of official DOS II art, and what I've seen of DOS II's story and world so far... seems to me that Ifan ben-Mezd would be the... "main main protagonist".
The old cliche from movies and stories in general, you know? It sounds a bit misogynist, but what we usually see is the human male "saving the world".
I have Lohse in my party, but don't have Ifan.
I have not finished the game yet.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
More support for Lohse: When meeting your god for the first time as Ifan, he tells you to overcome your companions and specifically calls out Lohse, telling you to murder her now and be done with it, even if she's never been in your party. Envy or concern from a divine being who is only concerned with you ascending is a pretty good indicator that Lohse is fated to ascend, to me, at least. I suppose she and Ifan are both humans, so you could also interpret that as the deity just wants you to handle his dirty work since he favors Ifan and not Lohse.

Good point on Fane, he is strongly connected, though personally I think he is best as a side character because he has so much knowledge the player doesn't have, and is useful as a resource for plot reasons.

I think you're right there is no intended canon ascendee, but I still like trying to deduce who it should or would be.

Last edited by Callaich; 27/05/20 02:51 PM.
W
journeyman
journeyman
W
I just watched a vid saying that "Divinity focuses on Lohse", by a somewhat famous channel: https://youtu.be/Zezzh13bdno?t=679

Seems like Lohse received more work from the developers. Her song is something to remember. Would she be our canon main character? I don't know. After finishing the game, I'm still indecisive between Lohse, Fane or Ifan. Out of the 3, Ifan seems to be the weakest candidate for me now. But his story arc seems to be so closely connected to Lucian and the Divine Order. While Lohse has her demons and Fane his Eternals, Ifan seems to be closer to the core of the game's story: Lucian, Alexandar, and the Order.

I had Fane and Lohse in my party. I had Ifan in Forty Joy, but removed him when the Lady Vengeance appeared for the first time.

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
I really don't think any are canon - my belief is that the Divinity series has ended. But, assuming I'm wrong, Lohse is a strong candidate. Other sites believe Ifan is canon. Others will site Fane. I was undecided who I thought it might be but, now, after playing the Red Prince as the main character, I see that quite a bit of extra things are included with him that the others lack making him a strong candidate. That, and his control of dragons. Truthfully, I wouldn't be surprised if Lucien is the canon "boss".

Last edited by caninelegion; 22/06/20 01:22 AM.
W
journeyman
journeyman
W
I agree, I don't think there is any "main main Origin character". But at the same time, I don't see anyone voting for Beast, you know?😄

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard