Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
Baldur's Gate 3 is planned for early access launch August 2020. Maybe. I'm getting really hyped for the game, but then I got to thinking the very lengthy early access of Divinity: Original Sin 2. A whole year. Then almost another year for the Definite Edition. Will you guys jump into the game while still not in a finished state, or to have the patience of a saint and wait potentially for a whole year?

Nah, I couldn't wait knowing EA is on Steam, just a download button away. No way. Even if EA was just an hour of gameplay I wouldn't wait.

D
D
I have a really hard time jumping into a game that's in early access because it's not uncommon for me to burn out on something when it's such a small part of what the full game will be. But I don't think I'll be able to hold off on this one until full release. There really just aren't enough RPGs coming out to keep me busy enough otherwise. And I'm weak when it comes to great games.

S
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
Originally Posted by deathidge
Nah, I couldn't wait knowing EA is on Steam, just a download button away. No way. Even if EA was just an hour of gameplay I wouldn't wait.

Haha yeah. I'm also leaning towards telling my more sensible side who's trying to learn from past early purchase mistakes to shut up and let Larian take my money now crazy

Originally Posted by DrunkPunk
I have a really hard time jumping into a game that's in early access because it's not uncommon for me to burn out on something when it's such a small part of what the full game will be. But I don't think I'll be able to hold off on this one until full release. There really just aren't enough RPGs coming out to keep me busy enough otherwise. And I'm weak when it comes to great games.

I too tend to burn out playing small parts of a full game over and over (more down to restarting new characters than playing EA though), or just waiting for bugs to be fixed. I trust Larian to deliver a fairly polished game even in EA though.

D
D
Oh yeah I totally trust them to deliver, too. If they go the same route as D:OS2 and only release say the first act until full release, that'll probably be the best approach. Gives a solid taste of the game without allowing people to burn out TOO much. The games that tend to release a start to finish experience, then add all the fluff and filler while they work towards release are usually the ones I can't stand, but Larian seems to be pretty good at this whole EA thing. There aren't many studios I give that kind of credit, but Larian has really earned it.

For me, I actually did burnout on D:OS 2, but I really liked the actual gameplay. I think it's because its always harder for me with games that I don't know the game mechanics and lore going into it. I still couldn't tell you much about the lore of DOS or anything about the classes, really. However, I've been a D&D nerd for a long time; I know 5E very well (bought and read the PHB, MM, and DMG), so I already have a great understanding of the race/class system, feats, abilities, spells, etc etc etc. Because of that it makes sense to me...whereas a game like DOS2 I didn't know the 'monster manual' going into it and none of the numbers follow a 'guide' like D&D 5E does, they make no logical sense. Idk, maybe its just me

S
veteran
veteran
S
i dotn know how many times i played through fort joy and it admittedly is a bit of a problem for me.
but then again theres always new character builds to do it, and multiplayer helps improve the replayability

veteran
veteran
I usually try to avoid Early Access - I prefer to enjoy finished games. If I could reasonably run BG3 on my laptop, however, I would consider diving into BG3. Baldur's Gate is close to my heart, and I would be curious to see what Larian are planning, and provide feedback. However, I could just run D:OS2 Definite Edition, so I don't expect to be able to do the same for BG3 - especially in an unoptimised form.

So unless my laptop dies soon (hopefully not) and gives me an excuse to waste my savings on a toy I don't expect to play it anytime soon.

Last edited by Wormerine; 01/07/20 06:01 PM.
S
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
For me, I actually did burnout on D:OS 2, but I really liked the actual gameplay. I think it's because its always harder for me with games that I don't know the game mechanics and lore going into it. I still couldn't tell you much about the lore of DOS or anything about the classes, really. However, I've been a D&D nerd for a long time; I know 5E very well (bought and read the PHB, MM, and DMG), so I already have a great understanding of the race/class system, feats, abilities, spells, etc etc etc. Because of that it makes sense to me...whereas a game like DOS2 I didn't know the 'monster manual' going into it and none of the numbers follow a 'guide' like D&D 5E does, they make no logical sense. Idk, maybe its just me

I'll admit I burned out on D:OS2 as well (I don't finish most games actually). I was too busy with real life for a while and kinda forgot all my progress, but what made it extra hard to pick up again was the overly complex crafting system.

All those thousands of items, some in bags in a vain attempt to keep order, really triggered my OCD! IMO it's a mechanic better suited a MMORPG, so hoping Larian will tone down the loot/crafting system quite a bit in BG3. At least implement a much more intuitive system. Perhaps with pop up menus telling you what items can be combined into (if you know) and a in-game recipe log that ties into which ingredients you have and where from you can create items instead of searching through multiple huge inventories.

D
D
Originally Posted by Seraphael

I'll admit I burned out on D:OS2 as well (I don't finish most games actually). I was too busy with real life for a while and kinda forgot all my progress, but what made it extra hard to pick up again was the overly complex crafting system.

All those thousands of items, some in bags in a vain attempt to keep order, really triggered my OCD! IMO it's a mechanic better suited a MMORPG, so hoping Larian will tone down the loot/crafting system quite a bit in BG3. At least implement a much more intuitive system. Perhaps with pop up menus telling you what items can be combined into (if you know) and a in-game recipe log that ties into which ingredients you have and where from you can create items instead of searching through multiple huge inventories.

I think out of all but one of my playthroughs of this game (and I've had many), the only things I have ever really crafted were skill books and scrolls and throwing nails in my boots. Well, I did craft a red dye and a poison bottle to try and trick my friend but accidentally used it myself in a fight... but other than that I pretty much totally ignored crafting. There is a crafting recipe book that records what you learn from reading books or experimentation, but I just never found it very useful. The one where I did do significant crafting was my multiplayer archer run where I crafted a ton of different arrows (mostly charm arrows). I don't really see much purpose to it so I think it's pretty easy to ignore.

I do have a problem with hoarding in this game, despite all of this, though. So I know what you mean about being overwhelmed by items. I either usually just keep everything on my strength character or mass sell anything that isn't consumable.

addict
addict
There is no choice ...there is only early access ...go on you know you want to ! - no way your on these forums & going to wait another 6-12 months after early access..who you trying to kid grin?

Last edited by Tarorn; 08/07/20 07:26 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Bought into Stadia/Chromecast just so I could join EA... so yeah, would love to have the full game (and paladins) now, but can’t wait and wanna support these guys smile

The greatest of evils we face may lie within
S
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
Originally Posted by Tarorn
There is no choice ...there is only early access ...go on you know you want to ! - no way your on these forums & going to wait another 6-12 months after early access..who you trying to kid grin?

Haha. You might be right. Already started thinking about possible builds for my player character; someone who can be the face of the party, but still provide excellent ranged damage. I haven't played D&D since The Temple of Elemental Evil back in '03 so my 5e munchkin-fu is weak, but really like the changes so far. I promised myself to learn from past mistakes and wait a while after full release to buy games, but think I might have to pass a few too many "willpower rolls" before that time - if we're looking at up to a year!

Originally Posted by Sir Gareyth
Bought into Stadia/Chromecast just so I could join EA... so yeah, would love to have the full game (and paladins) now, but can’t wait and wanna support these guys smile

I hear paladins make the strongest martial class, so yeah, wanted to multi-class the Githyanki fighter Lae'zel into a paladin (no multi-class in EA I know) with polearm master and sentinel and Shadowheart as backup tank + support.

addict
addict
Anyone have an opinion on when the game will go live, (Yes I know this Corona..) with that said, one year ,two years?

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
A question I have that goes along with the OP is how much of full release will the early access be for Act 1? Ideally it'd be like 50% but realistically it's probably upwards of 80%. I don't mean classes/races/feats/etc, i mean the world of Act 1; places, people, dungeons, secrets, stuff to do, etc. I'm not sure how much changed or was added in Act 1 of DoS2 from EA to Full Release but i'd love for EA to be as long as it is and still be like 50% of what Act 1 will be at full release.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Doomlord
Anyone have an opinion on when the game will go live, (Yes I know this Corona..) with that said, one year ,two years?

From how finished the game already looks, it will not be in EA for two years. D:OS2 was in EA for almost exactly one year. BG3 could be around that time, but I have a hunch it will be a less than a year. Just a gut feeling.

journeyman
journeyman
I will definitely buy for EA, but I'm pretty good about playing once and uninstalling. By the time the game is released, I'll be ready to play through Act 1 again and it will be relatively fresh.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Seraphael

Originally Posted by Sir Gareyth

I hear paladins make the strongest martial class, so yeah, wanted to multi-class the Githyanki fighter Lae'zel into a paladin (no multi-class in EA I know) with polearm master and sentinel and Shadowheart as backup tank + support.

Sounds like a sweet plan.

The greatest of evils we face may lie within
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Dulany67
I will definitely buy for EA, but I'm pretty good about playing once and uninstalling. By the time the game is released, I'll be ready to play through Act 1 again and it will be relatively fresh.

I may have a tough time uninstalling after playing it - hopefully Dark Alliance or Solaster Crown of the magister come out inbetween time..

S
addict
OP Offline
addict
S
Originally Posted by Tarorn
Originally Posted by Dulany67

I may have a tough time uninstalling after playing it - hopefully Dark Alliance or Solaster Crown of the magister come out inbetween time..

Cyberpunk 2077 will be released in November and it would be commercial suicide to go up against it. That leaves BG3 a 3-month window between early access in August and possible earliest full release in October the way I see it. Given a Larian lead designer recently stated there would be a "massive, massive amount of things to do", possibly X-Mas would be more realistic or this time next year even! Loads of games coming out by then. Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 is likely releasing sometime before Cyberpunk. Not too impressed with what I've seen so far, but liked the Troika original.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard