It seems Dos2 (classic and DE) will only run if I disconnect from the internet. I bought the game on GOG.com so I am not running it on steam. If I launch the game with internet connection, the pop up comes up and asks if I want to run classic or DE and both options result in a black screen popping up and then I am kicked back to desktop.
I can run the game fine with no framerate issues while I keep the internet connection off.

With this happening I thought it would be my firewall settings (I found lots of people online saying that firewalls have a been a problem). Unfortunately I have completely disabled my firewall and the game will still not launch. I tried many other fixes before stumbling on disabling internet connection and nothing else worked.
I verified and repaired files.
I ran the exe. specifically for DE and Classic (bypassing the DE or Classic pop up)
I changed resolutions.
I have uninstalled GOG and DOS2 completely and reinstalled.
I moved the location of files outside of program files and x86 (was recommended).
I tried uninstalling the C++ redistributables and reinstalling.
I have restarted my computer.

I even tried launching the game without internet connection and then connecting to the internet when the game is running. This resulted in the game crashing back to desktop.

I really need an internet connection while playing because I only bought Dos2 on pc because I wanted to play with a pc gamer friend. I own the game on PS4 and have beaten it 5 or 6 times. One of my top 5 games of all time. Any help would be appreciated.