Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#671226 29/07/20 03:20 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I got this game on GOG bout 6 days ago to try to get into the gameplay to prepare for BG 3 but it keeps crashing for me all the time.

Tried renameming the DOS folder in documents didnt work.
Tried fresh install 3 times makes no difference.
Tried fresh install gpu driver install ( radeon 590 fatboy ) didnt work.
Tried verify/repair option many times nothing.
Tried pretty much all grafik variations in game and nothing.

Event log gives me this : EoCApp.exe
571dde2b
atidxx64.dll
5ebef20a
c0000005
0000000000a1e5a0
b9c
01d665b94ad1e339
C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Divinity - Original Sin Enhanced Edition\Shipping\EoCApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0355311.inf_amd64_183b8d63847c90cf\B355199\atidxx64.dll
bc0a41f5-f424-45a9-b549-5ce2eae723dd

No idear where to go from here. It crashes all over the places. Sometimes I can play 10 min but lately its crash within 5 sec of startup.

Last edited by scalla55; 29/07/20 03:21 PM. Reason: typo
scalla55 #671250 29/07/20 09:40 PM
Support
Support

Does the game crash if you leave it at the main menu, or are just in the options?

Have you tried other, similarly demanding DirectX 11 games recently? Crashes getting progressively worse can be a sign of hardware issues (or file corruption).

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs (especially anti-virus) before starting the game?

Try exiting out of the Galaxy, if applicable, and starting the game directly from the '..\Divinity - Original Sin Enhanced Edition\Shipping\EoCApp.exe' program file, by right clicking and running as administrator.

Did you try lowering the resolution when changing the graphics settings, or switching to Windowed or Fake Fullscreen display mode?
One person reported stability problems in D:OS if they had Ambient Occlusion enabled, for example, but the game was fine if they disabled it and enabled it in their graphics drivers. You could try disabling all the post processing in the graphics options, etc, if you didn't already.
Another was getting random reboots, which they tracked down to the graphics options in any game being different than was set as default in their video drivers (for anti-aliasing, ambient occlusion, etc).

Do you have Vsync enabled, or the frame rate cap set in the options? Try enabling, lowering or disabling those options.

Try lowering your desktop resolution, and limit the refresh rate to 60 (if it is higher), to see if that helps.
A program like DesktopOK would let you save and restore desktop icon positions, in case lowering the resolution moves anything.

Try doing a clean boot and then test the game. Click Start, or hit WinKey-R, type in msconfig and hit enter; in the General tab, click Selective Startup, uncheck Load startup items (if required) and leave Load system services and Use original boot configuration options checked. Next, click on the Services tab, check the box to Hide all Microsoft services, then click the Disable All button (maybe make a note of which are currently enabled/disabled), then click OK and reboot the computer.
Run msconfig again to switch back to the normal boot configuration.

Try creating a new Windows administrator user account, switch to that account and try starting the game from there, directly from the executable to test.

scalla55 #671264 30/07/20 07:06 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I dont even make it to the main menu now before it crashes , but it did that as well before. Of all my games it the only one who crashes at all , no other game does it. Have tried to reinstall directx 11 makes no diference.
Have tried to run the \Divinity - Original Sin Enhanced Edition\Shipping\EoCApp.exe as admin no difference.

Hvae tried all graphics combinations in game. Turned of vsync etc . Tried running on all resolutions and just crash all the time.

Have no anti-virus but win defender and makes no difference to turn it off.

Edit : After further investergation where I started the game up 20 times in a row and it crashed I looked in the event log to see if there was any consistensies in the error lists and now im 99 % sure its a conflikt with the graphics drivers . 3 sec before it crashes I get a warning that amdkmdap stopped working and got restored. I have already tried to do fresh driver install and it does not make a difference.

Last edited by scalla55; 30/07/20 07:53 AM.
scalla55 #671265 30/07/20 09:06 AM
Support
Support

Did you try reverting to an older, stable driver version, to see if that would make a difference?

Try browsing to the '..\Documents\Larian Studios' folder and rename the 'Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition' subfolder (or test in the new Windows account and delete it, since you wouldn't have any saves in the Documents folder for the game there).
After that, extract the replacement folder from this download into your '..\Documents\Larian Studios' folder, and see if that will let you start the game.

The graphicSettings.lsx file is set to 1280x720 Windowed mode, Very Low quality preset, which you can change in the options (manually, or hit autodetect) if this gets the game to start.
If that helps, create a new profile, exit and copy a couple saves from the renamed folder into the newly created profile's ..\Savegames_patch folder. If that continues to let you start the game (and load the saves), move the rest of the saves over.
If the game still crashes, delete the replacement My Documents D:OS EE folder and rename the original back again.

A few people have reported a DirectX error (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED, or HUNG) with a similar video driver reset. You've already tried one of the confirmed fixes in that case (clean reinstall of video drivers), but maybe others will help.

Several people have reported fixing this error (topic) by using MSI Afterburner to slightly underclock their graphics card ('lower both the "Core Clock" and "Memory Clock" options by around 100 (so they say -100). Apply and close.'). Generally that is enough, though one person for D:OS 2 reported that the initial test didn't help, but a slightly more aggressive underclock did (IIRC it was something like -200 or -250).

One person with D:OS 2 and an nvidia card reported that disabling G-Sync in their drivers reduced the frequency of DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED crashes. Unfortunately, in that case the problem was hardware related, and other games started crashing before the card died completely.

There are a couple D:OS EE topics on this DirectX error (it seems to be rarer in D:OS 2):

DXGI ERROR Crash - turned WIN 10 conflict (reverting back to Win 8 avoided the problem)

DXGI device removed error/CreateTexture2D failed (fixed by a clean reinstall of the video drivers)

As mentioned in the second topic, there is a program called TDR Manipulator that can change a Windows setting to control if and how Windows restarts the video drivers. Telling Windows to stop the resets may eliminate the crashes with the game, though if there is an actual problem causing the resets it will not be fixed, and could potentially lead to the computer freezing.

scalla55 #675196 17/09/20 03:02 PM
stranger
stranger
Hello!

I was just about to post about my game not willing to start (and I'm 'fighting' with it for like 6 hours already .. ) .. did uninstall all the MSVS C++ redistributables, read a few forum posts on gog and steam (I just bought the steam version),

but then one last thing I tried before this post is:

"After that, extract the replacement folder from this download into your '..\Documents\Larian Studios' folder, and see if that will let you start the game."

And it did finally get to start the game (maybe it has something to do with the native resolution of my monitor which is 1366x768)!
So thank you Sir Raze, I hope I will encounter no more problems on the technical side of the game.

All the best!
Adam.

Last edited by FlaewHen; 17/09/20 03:04 PM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Issh, Kurnster, Larian_QA, LarSeb, Monodon, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard