Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 33 of 61 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 60 61
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by dlux
Originally Posted by DrunkPunk
They actually did come out and say it'll be similar to D:OS in that each act will be a zone, and you won't be backtracking. I assume this also means we won't be frequently entering and leaving the city of Baldurs Gate, but it'll be confined to a single act.

Imagine calling your game Baldur's Gate, but confining the city to only one act. rolleyes

This is really lame and not how it was done in the Baldur's Gate series. Not to mention that the ability to backtrack, with only minor exceptions, should be available in every RPG.

Just imagine calling your game "Baldur´s Gate 2" and do not come not even nowhere near the city in the entire game...

I think that´s already been done in the BG series =)

Last edited by _Vic_; 02/08/20 02:56 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by _Vic_
I think Larian takes his inspiration in WotC´s D&D 5th edition lore and adventures more than in the previous games, at least that´s the impression they gave us until now.

Larian's main inspiration is obviously D:OS 2, which is why they are copy-pasting nearly everything. That said, it is funny how some are now claiming that D:OS 2 is just pretty much just straight up D&D 5E, only in a CRPG form. stupid

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if Larian somehow shoehorns in the lame armor and itemization systems from D:OS 2 as well.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by _Vic_
Just imagine calling your game "Baldur´s Gate 2" and do not come not even nowhere near the city in the entire game...

Well, Shadows of Amn was in the title and it was never locked to a single act. At least not for most of the game.

Next.

veteran
veteran

Is there anything about this game that is even remotely related to the Baldur's Gate series other than the title?

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose, By any other name would smell as sweet."

enthusiast
enthusiast
They actually did come out and say it'll be similar to D:OS in that each act will be a zone, and you won't be backtracking. I assume this also means we won't be frequently entering and leaving the city of Baldurs Gate, but it'll be confined to a single act.

Imagine calling your game Baldur's Gate, but confining the city to only one act. rolleyes

This is really lame and not how it was done in the Baldur's Gate series. Not to mention that the ability to backtrack, with only minor exceptions, should be available in every RPG.

Baldur's Gate 1 was named after a city in wich you spend 1 chapter out of 7 and you return just for the end game. So yeah, this has already been done in the BG series. And now you're just ASSUMING its gonna be like that AGAIN?

Last edited by Gt27mustang; 01/08/20 11:31 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Imagine calling a game Elder Scrolls 5 and only having one quest about an elder scrolls. I'm sure that would never be a good game.

veteran
veteran
Imagine calling a game "The legend of Zelda" and name the protagonist "Link" and make princess Zelda appear only in a few scenes. No way the games are good.

journeyman
journeyman
Imagine calling a game series Halo but only a couple games have to do with halos. No way those game are good.

veteran
veteran
Imagine calling a game "Final Fantasy", and then make more than 15 games with that name. No way those games are good.

Last edited by _Vic_; 02/08/20 06:17 AM.
addict
addict
Sorry guys, it wasn't my intention to trigger you with irrefutable arguments.

I was just pointing out the obvious, which is that BG3 has next to nothing in common with the Baldur's Gate series other than the title.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Seems to be a lot refuting going on for an irrefutable argument.

Also, “trigger“, LOL.

Last edited by Dagless; 02/08/20 12:58 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by neongreg
Imagine calling a game Elder Scrolls 5 (...). I'm sure that would never be a good game.

Sounds like a sound assumption to me. smile

journeyman
journeyman
I'm just confused on what's copy-pasted from DOS2 except that it's turn based?

enthusiast
enthusiast

I was just pointing out the obvious, which is that BG3 has next to nothing in common with the Baldur's Gate series other than the title.

"Irrefutable"...yeah keep telling yourself that.

As for what BG3 and the rest of the series have in common, unless you''ve played a secret beta that no one is aware of and you know the whole story, you're just talking through your hat.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Torque
Originally Posted by Wormerine

No, we don't actually know anything about the structure of the game. Assumingly it will be somewhat similar to D:OS2 - Coop is still a thing, and devs want players to be able to split so there will be most likely fewer, bigger maps, rather then lots of smaller ones like in BG1&2. EA is supposed to come with a zone bigger then EA of D:OS2. But how the story will progress, and there will be any back&forth between locations is unknown. I can't really imagine they would d BG3 and not try to make a proper, central city, which you will visit, stay in and return to throughout the game. Comeon, your RPG is only as good as your city content.

Now that would be an odd descision given its the namesake of the game. More likely Baldurs Gate will function as a hub of sorts where you can come and go all throughout the campaign.

I tracked down the AMA and the questions/answers that lead me to believe this, which can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/DivinityOriginalSin/comments/fhq897/compiled_baldurs_gate_ama_20200313/

Q: Like the original Baldur's Gate, will locations be broken down into sections or will it be like in DOS2, where you are in a huge terrain.

David: You're in a huge terrain, but between acts you will travel from one huge region to another.

Q: You have mentioned that the scope of Baldur's Gate 3 is huge, but we do not have much to go off of. How many places will we be able to visit and explore? Will it only be a small part of the Sword Coast or can/could we venture off to places like Neverwinter or to the South to see Amn? Is it closer to an open world or will it be closer to D:OS 1/2 in that it is a large map that is sectioned into smaller areas?

Swen: The small portion of the adventure we’ve shown takes place many miles East of Baldur’s Gate, and the initial journey will take players along the banks of the river Chionthar, and surrounding wilderness and settlements, toward BG and the coast. You won’t be walking the whole way to BG in real-time, so there will be several large, open regions. Later, you’ll visit the city of Baldur’s Gate itself, of course. Other places I’m not going to spoil for you because discovery and exploration are part of the joy.

This snippet of interview is interesting, but it’s not actually very clear how it’s going to work.

Both David and Swen use the word “Region”, but I’m not sure they are talking about the same thing.

David mentions traveling to different regions between acts, but Swen talks about there being several regions in the “initial journey” towards BG and the coast. It doesn’t seem to make much sense for that journey to take place over serval acts, so I think it’s more likely that Swen means that the journey is serval maps covering the river Chionthar, and surrounding wilderness and settlements, which is what David is calling a “huge region” (and therefore an act).

If so, I suspect that would be the same for subsequent acts. So maybe act 2 takes place in several maps covering Baldurs Gate and coast, which could well be the biggest part of the game. Perhaps then act 3 takes you further afield and act 4 brings you back to the city, or something?

Last edited by Dagless; 02/08/20 12:56 PM.
addict
addict
Right. Nothing that's been said ties Larian down to any particular exploration structure, except we know there are multiple disconnected areas.

Chapters or Acts usually relate to major story changes, which may or may not make any difference to where you can go. I would hope that if there is no good story reason for closing off an area, then that will not happen.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by neongreg
I'm just confused on what's copy-pasted from DOS2 except that it's turn based?

Strictly speaking not even that, because in DoS games, even it´s turn-based you do not have simultaneous initiative if your characters are together and you have an action cost in AP points that you manage to allow you to move and do actions, in BG3 you roll for initiative and then you have limited number of actions by type every turn: 1 bonus action, 1 move action and a standard action like in the D&D5e tabletop game.
Those are different TB combat mechanics.

Last edited by _Vic_; 02/08/20 02:22 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gt27mustang

"Irrefutable"...yeah keep telling yourself that.

As for what BG3 and the rest of the series have in common, unless you''ve played a secret beta that no one is aware of and you know the whole story, you're just talking through your hat.

Well it's August now, and soon we will have access to the whole game. So all you BG3 cheerleaders better start working on your excuses and spin for why even after we know all that's in the game no one can criticize anything about the game. I fully expect you all will move those goalposts. wink

S
veteran
veteran
S
what?
you still gotta convince people the game is shit , i dont have to prove anyhting, if i lik ethe game ill get it

journeyman
journeyman
You can criticize all you want, but it doesn't make sense to say it's the same as dos2 cause it's turn based. Cause by that logic, knights of the old republic is just a baldurs gate rip off. I mean they're both RTwP.

Page 33 of 61 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 60 61

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard