Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Deja vu Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
In 5e part of what made the thief class was the ability to use a potion as a bonus action. Now that the ability was given to every one I’d love to see some thing else to beef up the thief.

I wish I had a good option but currently I am not sure. I feel that rogues in general and thief’s especially where hit pretty hard with the nerf bat in Baulders Gate 3.

P.s add expertise.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Well they did... thief gets an extra bonus action. So now you can potion, hide, and shoot.

p.s add expertise

Last edited by Marshmallow; 09/10/20 01:08 PM.
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
About Cunning action (lv2 feat) :
The rogue currently is hit pretty bad with hide and disengage actions being bonus for everyone, meaning "Cunning action" is reduced to dash, only one third of this feat is gained...

If I can make a suggestion for cunning action (lv 2 rogue) rework :

- Make it a secondary bonus action (with visually different color for instance) wich can only be used for hide/disengage/dash, like in the 5e ed. PHB.

- Of course since the cunning action will be a secondary bonus action, it could not trigger same action more than once in a turn (no double dash/jump/hide), but it can allow disengage+dash, dash+hide, etc.

The PHB description is not especially clear about the "cunning action" being a specific added bonus action, or an alternate use of the "standard" bonus action, since in the tabletop rules bonus action is only allowed by specific skills/spells (you cannot have bonus action unless a skill says you can take one).

Finally, considering BG3 everyone basically got one bonus action for everything (at least 2/3 of the cunning action feat), it could only benefit rogue balance by allowing this class to get their unique bonus like intended.

Currently Rogue archetype feels pretty bland to me (leveling Astarion to lv 2 made me LOL compared to spellcasters, even fighter...), with sneak attack being unclear wether or not we can use it and without expertise... If cunning action is not buffed to balance, the first rogue levels will be bad to experience.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Deja vu
In 5e part of what made the thief class was the ability to use a potion as a bonus action. Now that the ability was given to every one I’d love to see some thing else to beef up the thief.

I wish I had a good option but currently I am not sure. I feel that rogues in general and thief’s especially where hit pretty hard with the nerf bat in Baulders Gate 3.

P.s add expertise.

I mean, Matt Mercer popularized using a potion as a bonus action as his own homebrew rule, and a lot of tables adopted it--myself included. I think using a potion for yourself should be a bonus action in DnD, it makes more sense than it taking a full action to do so. Obviously there are some...changes from RAW in this game, but in this case they used probably one of the most popular homebrew rules here.

apprentice
apprentice
I do like bonus action to drink your own potion, action to feed a potion to someone else, we play with that house rule in my games.

Link Copied to Clipboard