Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#652870 12/06/19 10:35 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
As a tabletop DM of many years, I love the game and creating custom campaigns is a real passion!! The ability to create a campaign for my party would be epic. Kind of similar to NeverWinter but more robust and powerful. Just my 2 cp's worth!!

veteran
veteran
I'm a bit torn on this happening.
On one hand, I can't see Wizards being too happy about it for some reason.
On the other hand, I think at the success of Aurora.

enthusiast
enthusiast
DM Mode and a toolset / editor are essential for me. Being able to create PWs would be awesome, but those also would require an incredible amount of work.
A DM mode comparable to DoS2's GM Mode would do just fine for me.
Character export/import would be a must have though!

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
S
veteran
veteran
S
OS2 had it so im pretty sure this is going to happen.
Whats more interresting to me is if well have the option of running a peresistant world or just something for more than 4 players

stranger
stranger
I do not know if you guys remember Never Winter Nights and the editor they had but it would be amazing if they would allow something like that and players could post self made dungeons and such. I do see the potential for cheating if there was a editor although. +5 Holy Weapons for EVERYONE ugh.....

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by salobard42
I do not know if you guys remember Never Winter Nights and the editor they had but it would be amazing if they would allow something like that and players could post self made dungeons and such. I do see the potential for cheating if there was a editor although. +5 Holy Weapons for EVERYONE ugh.....

Of course, NWN style toolset/server has been mentioned a few times on this forum. As for cheating. Most PW's do not allow local characters so the editor isn't a problem. For SP: Well there's always ways to do things like that and each person has to decide for themselves.

Either way, one can hope we get something as powerful as the NWN1/2 editors/server

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by loudent
Originally Posted by salobard42

Of course, NWN style toolset/server has been mentioned a few times on this forum. As for cheating. Most PW's do not allow local characters so the editor isn't a problem. For SP: Well there's always ways to do things like that and each person has to decide for themselves.

Either way, one can hope we get something as powerful as the NWN1/2 editors/server

Aurora and Electron were not, in fact, that powerful - in the sense of breadth of modding. You'd only create new campaigns, but no new rules, and Bioware hardcoded so much that most changes were impossible to make (coughFEATSMETAMAGICSPELLBOOKScough). However, the depth of new campaign creation was actually quite good, you'd do lots and lots with it.

veteran
veteran
In fact, I'm playing some NWN modules right now, as classes in modding, and I'm quite amazed at how good they are. I really hope there's a powerful, yet flexible, editor for BG3.

apprentice
apprentice
This truly is a litmus test for me. It's going to be the difference between putting 200 hours into this game or over 5k. They just HAVE to do a better job than they did on D:OS2's - it was restrictive, not overly intuitive, and lackluster. There's no reason that this shouldn't end in a thriving modding community. Ideally, you should have some sort of workshop-esque system built in where you can share fully completed campaigns, as well.

I want BG3 to be the place to go - over NWN, over Roll20, over Tabletop Sim... it should be the quintessential D&D experience for groups who can't meet in person. If the game does nothing else, I'd still be happy with it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Brent2410
This truly is a litmus test for me. It's going to be the difference between putting 200 hours into this game or over 5k. They just HAVE to do a better job than they did on D:OS2's - it was restrictive, not overly intuitive, and lackluster. There's no reason that this shouldn't end in a thriving modding community. Ideally, you should have some sort of workshop-esque system built in where you can share fully completed campaigns, as well.

I want BG3 to be the place to go - over NWN, over Roll20, over Tabletop Sim... it should be the quintessential D&D experience for groups who can't meet in person. If the game does nothing else, I'd still be happy with it.

Well, without being so overly critical, I also am particularly unhappy with the DOS2 editor - if only because it kept crashing, for me at least. Killed off any desire I had.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Well, without being so overly critical, I also am particularly unhappy with the DOS2 editor - if only because it kept crashing, for me at least. Killed off any desire I had.

There seems to be a trade-off between usability and crashiness. Using both metrics it seems to be halfway between Oblivion's editor, which was quite easy to use but crashed constantly, and Dragon Age Oranges' editor which seemed to never crash but was impossible to use. Which is maybe why it never crashed...

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia

There seems to be a trade-off between usability and crashiness. Using both metrics it seems to be halfway between Oblivion's editor, which was quite easy to use but crashed constantly, and Dragon Age Oranges' editor which seemed to never crash but was impossible to use. Which is maybe why it never crashed...

Skyrim's editor was super intuitive and crashed very little for me, just like the Oblivion editor...
However, they never allowed innovative mods, especially the oblivion one.

EDIT: on a different note, I hope Asset import/export is simplified for BG3, if it is going to feature modding at all. Couldn't get a single 3d thing in DOS2.

Last edited by Dark_Ansem; 13/07/19 04:15 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Skyrim's editor was super intuitive and crashed very little for me, just like the Oblivion editor...

EDIT: on a different note, I hope Asset import/export is simplified for BG3, if it is going to feature modding at all. Couldn't get a single 3d thing in DOS2.

I'm curious about what you thought was lacking? Not that I'm saying it wasn't, just interested. Your "different note" suggests where you're coming from as I probably spent way more time using third-party tools to do 3D editing than I did in Construction Set; and even when it came to integrating them into the game I'd use TES4Edit as it didn't make a mess of my dependencies!

But for world-building and scripting there was no other choice.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia

I'm curious about what you thought was lacking? Not that I'm saying it wasn't, just interested. Your "different note" suggests where you're coming from as I probably spent way more time using third-party tools to do 3D editing than I did in Construction Set; and even when it came to integrating them into the game I'd use TES4Edit as it didn't make a mess of my dependencies!

But for world-building and scripting there was no other choice.

My gripe with the Creation Kit was that ultimately it all boiled down to Actor Values (skills, elements, resistances) - which were hardcoded. So my first mod, the School of Magic of Darkness, never worked because of that. So, want to create a new element? nope. Want to create a new skill tree? Nope, not without overwriting others. All existing ones are replacers, workarounds are ok but still. Plenty of room for worldbuilding and adventures, however.

FYI Larian promised not to do this in DOS2 and yet they did all the same. So I also kind of lost interest with that.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
My gripe with the Creation Kit was that ultimately it all boiled down to Actor Values (skills, elements, resistances) - which were hardcoded. So my first mod, the School of Magic of Darkness, never worked because of that. So, want to create a new element? nope. Want to create a new skill tree? Nope, not without overwriting others. All existing ones are replacers, workarounds are ok but still. Plenty of room for worldbuilding and adventures, however.

I see what you mean. Construction Set gave a lot of flexibility even without the 3D modelling but stuff like that was extremely irritating. Even as a modeller rather than a storyteller it was incredibly irritating as it made random stuff like adding facial hair, jewellery etc (which was actually very straightforward in terms of how it could be rendered) tedious bordering impossible because of the extremely rigid slotting system. And that was just aesthetics. Must be even more annoying regarding the other stuff. Plus the problem that there were so many bugs outside of what you might expect from random scripting errors.

But as a Bioware fan where the scope for modding is practically non-existent, especially with the ME games, I guess I still feel grateful for what I can get... even if it could be so much more. Which is why I'm nervous about Bethsoft ever updating its creaky old engine as who knows what the future may hold, especially after their foray into online gaming. But given that their release schedule has become so tardy, maybe it's not that important any more. That said, I've wandered completely off-topic there. :o I'm not sure what the best way to deal with it as at some point they (as in games devs in general) have to draw a line with what can reasonably be customised.

But even when it can reasonably be customised, I just wish there were more open standards so that it wasn't down to particularly dedicated modders to reverse-engineer e.g. the GR2 format du jour and numerous other examples of the same.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Oh dear. How "tardy" has it become?

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard