Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Stabbey

So will being stuck with an automatic 15 if you need a 16. It's a second chance, not a guaranteed success.

But, if Inspiration points are rare, in a game with tons of skill checks in dialogue, those rare points could be used for story checks you want to succeed. There is no right or wrong here: just a design choice and preference.

Last edited by Baraz; 16/09/20 09:08 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Nyanko
Originally Posted by Costin
Hello, i don't know if the question was asked before, but will i be able to fail a roll if i choose to?

It's against the basic rules of a roleplaying game with dices, which are the outcome of your actions are decided by rolling dices against calculated odds.

If you can choose to fail, you should also be able to choose to succeed, in which case it just becomes a branching story like Detroit become human or Life is strange, which is great for this genre of games. But BG3 is following other tabletop rules and choosing to fail isn't an option.

That being said, there might be a way to do it with the console, if Larian allows it in the future.

In principle i agree with you, however it's about the rollplay part of it. You should not be able to choose to succeed, in theory the success is what everyone wants, and even rolling a nat 20 is not a guarantee of success. I DM a few games and a nat20 is not an instant success, it means you just did your best, and your best wasn't good enough. Sometimes we are just weak, even in pretend.
Related to that, sometimes we know for a fact we are stronger than the person we are speaking with, and we might choose to fail in order to get more story/quests/conversation out of them. And by typing that i just realized this is why we have dialogue options laugh
Thank you for making me reach that conclusion (rubber duckies)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard