Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#667837 05/06/20 05:00 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
This game got such phenomenal reviews, but I have never enjoyed a game less than this one. I completed the first chapter and got well into the second one, and I havent had even a minute of fun. Does it get better at some point? I am considering deleting it but I paid full price for it and feel like I have wasted so much time on this. What am I missing that makes this game enjoyable?

veteran
veteran
No. You have already seen the game at it's best. If you have a buddy I recommend trying Coop - it is a coop game at heart and it doesn't resonate when played singleplayer.

10 hours coop of D:OS1 was the best coop experience I ever had. Playing through both games singleplayer was a dull chore. If you are looking for a deep, story and character rich singleplayer RPG like Baldur's Gates, Fallouts or Pillars - that ain't it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by DoomthVader
This game got such phenomenal reviews, but I have never enjoyed a game less than this one. I completed the first chapter and got well into the second one, and I havent had even a minute of fun. Does it get better at some point? I am considering deleting it but I paid full price for it and feel like I have wasted so much time on this. What am I missing that makes this game enjoyable?

Do you have more specific complaints about it besides "every single thing in the entire game"? We can't tell you what you're missing because you didn't really say what you found unsatisfying.

If there's truly nothing you enjoyed at all, then stop playing.

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
I had trouble enjoying it early on due to constant frustration. It took me several tries until I learned how the game works (it has a steep learning curve). Since then, it's been great fun. However, reviews: I pay them little heed because people are so different. Same with food - just because someone didn't like it or visa-versa doesn't mean I'll agree. One has to try it to see and, as Stabbey said, if you truly find nothing about it enjoyable, move on. I can't count the number of games I bought and discarded quickly because I just didn't like it (Dragon Commander being one of them smile ).

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
My first and foremost issue is the combat. It seems like every battle starts with the enemies casting every single possible status abnormality at the beginning of the battle, so some battles I have never gotten a single attack in before I have been totally annihilated. Most of the battles seem to be won by sheer luck. It wouldn't be a problem if I found armor or items to prevent the abnormalities, but they either don't appear to exist, or since 7 different ones affect each party member every turn it seems like that would be useless anyway. Since the majority of the enemies appear to be able to fly or teleport, attack me multiple times, and then move away, any turn I have is spent moving closer to the enemies. The battles don't seem to be battles, but simulations on how effectively useless your characters are.

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
That is a rather frustrating aspect of the game. If you haven't already, wait until you find "Mommy Dearest". Moves across screen, attacks six times, then takes no damage due to a defensive spell - a spell that if you cast blocks damage maybe 50% of the time but works the listed 90% for her. The final battles are like that too. It's an exercise in repairing damage which, in time, you lose. However, just following the story and fighting most battles that are merely challenging (rather then frustrating) kept me going. I've felt time and again that these four godwoken, fighting together, are often outclassed by supposedly lesser entities. I know people do it, but I couldn't imagine a single character party for this game. The supposed powerful and feared source spells are a disappointment. Most are not much better then run of the mill magic. There are huge advantages that the player's party have, however. Being able to come back from the dead that very few others seem to have the highly available scrolls to do. Being able to flee battle, rest, and come back full strength against enemies after killing one or two of them to eventually overwhelm them. I've got over 1200 hours into the game so, despite it not being perfect (what games are?), I have gotten quite a bit of enjoyment out of it despite the frustrations.

veteran
veteran
This is the thing to get about the game. It's about surfaces. People say will say Larian "over uses surfaces" but that's not right. There's no overuse: the game is entirely about surfaces. How do you get your enemies of surfaces they don't want to be on, how do you get yourself on surfaces you want to be on. Necrofire is the best surface. Once that clicks the game is a ton of fun.

The game could have been called "surface strategies" but that's a boring title.

Yeah, the Mommy character is one the hardest in the game. Make a surface, if she gets close to you teleport her away. Repeat. Make her slip on ice or hold her in place with worm tremor and take her down with ranged weapons.

Last edited by KillerRabbit; 12/06/20 05:50 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by DoomthVader
It seems like every battle starts with the enemies casting every single possible status abnormality at the beginning of the battle, so some battles I have never gotten a single attack in before I have been totally annihilated.

Divinity2 loves it's ambushes. To be fair in Divinity1 it was you who was ambushing and obliterating enemies that way. The trick is to survive those initial attacks.

There is one thing that you need to win: equipment on your level. You get skills, you boost your stats, but the single most important thing is to have the highest level gear you can get (which is your level). You need enough shields to not get stunned, and you need to dishout enough DPS to break enemy shields and stun them. And for that you need the best armor and best weapons you can get. Everything else is secondary.

2nd chapter (Driftwood) suffers from being very open, but with content spread across multiple levels. That results that you are very limited in where you can go, without being told so. Step into an ambush for which you are undergeared and you get killed before you can act - sometimes one level difference is enough. If that happens, usually that's the sign to go someplace else first. That becomes less of a problem as chapter 3 is smaller, and by chapter 4 you should be almost at max level.

Abilities which move units around (yours or enemies or both) are a godsent. Worth investing into low Aerothurge just for teleport and Nether Swap. Ranged DPS is amazing - go high ground and you can most likely reach anyone you want. Figure out what enemies have what shield, take that shield down and then go ham on status effects with your spellcaster.

Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
People say will say Larian "over uses surfaces" but that's not right. There's no overuse: the game is entirely about surfaces. How do you get your enemies of surfaces they don't want to be on, how do you get yourself on surfaces you want to be on.

Very much so, what traditionally would be numerical buffs and debuffs Larian turned into very visible and interactable thing on a map.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Looks like the game is "too difficult" to you, and that's not something you should feel guilty of. Usually happens when someone not used with a game or one kind of game, starts playing it. Then not everyone finds it fun to lose and keep losing endlessly, though some enjoy being challenged to restart and struggle.

These could be solved with custom tuning the difficulty settings. If it was something like that included here.

It's very unlikely that a game can please everyone, with having just "easy, normal, hard" or similar difficulty settings only. These will still result in the game being "too easy" or "too frustrating" for some.

You need to find mods and cheats to make them easier (or harder, but that's not the case here). Also "easy" and "hard" means nothing, it's just a subjective measure, relative to how much experience one has in these type of games, how much patience to learn and figure out, how much time they are willing to spend to learn from mistakes and restart again and again (from just a previous save or the whole game), and so on.

stranger
stranger
I have 500hrs the start of every act is hard, but once you level up its smooth sailing from there Google the level areas for each map so you know where to go. If your having a hard time make 1 of your chars lvl summoner to 10. Max thieving and lucky charm also make the game easier +stacking gear.

stranger
stranger
I agree if you didn't enjoy chapter 1, you should definitely try Coop games.

G
stranger
stranger
G
until you oneshot magister julian with lohars 2 handed source hammer, you will not understand.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard