Originally Posted By: Kingslayer
Kingdoms of Amalur isn't indie, it was published by EA. I also don't think it actually sold that well, either, especially not on PC where it only sold 220,000 worldwide. That said, I do see your point. I just wonder if the existence of big blockbusters like CoD and the other usual suspects will really have any impact on the sales of D:OS. They really don't share audiences at all, so I'd only see it as a risk if another fantasy RPG PC exclusive is coming out at the same time. Either way, I'm sure Larian know more than us about this kind of thing. Release schedules are perhaps one of the things they hated about working with publishers before.

EA only had a retail/origin distribution deal for Kingdoms of Amalur, they were not the publisher. 38 Studios was the developer and they aquired Big Huge Games to manage other aspect of publishing for them - they released independently on Steam.

On March 10, 2012, it was projected by NPD that the game sold over 330,000 physical copies just in the U.S (that's just physical copies mind, the game was #1 for a several weeks on steam alone so who knows how many digital copies were sold) and while I can understand that people might take Curt Schilling's word as suspect, he tweeted that the game had sold 1.2 million after three months.

38 Studios failed because of massive overspending and really bad management they closed with $151 million in debt which is just insane http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2012/07/38-studios-end-game/

Kickstarter memories - The Wierd
*Amanda Restless Weresheep of Sin* laugh