Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Qiox

What you describe is the exact opposite of what I want from them. Using the same piece of gear for a long period of time is the worst case scenario for any rpg because it means the loot that drops has become meaningless. It is a perfect recipe for boredom.

Aside for the fact that "the SAME PIECE OF GEAR" is a straight-up strawman, as no one was advocating for it, I couldn't disagree more if I tried..

It is exactly what the person I quoted said they want:

Finding a powerful item you will stick with for a while (or for the entire end game) is supposed to be a thrill,

And I still disagree with that comment. I don't want to ever feel like I am satisfied with any of my gear. I always want to feel a need to upgrade, and the sooner the better. It gives the game one aspect of the ARPG loot hunt feel and that's a good thing to anyone who is a fan of the genre.

Pretending that it is by default a flawed mechanic denies the truth of the enjoyment of primary aspect of a rather large genre of RPG. And DOS1 and DOS2 are far from the first to make that choice.

And the fixed loot of Baldur's Gate 2 is the worst thing about the game. Thankfully there's enough good about the game that it is still a very good game. But knowing exactly what are the best in slot items for each slot on each character, and exactly where you will find them means that 99.9999999999% of the loot in that game is 100% vendor trash that does not need to be looked at.

I have to wonder if the people who like that style of play are the same types who use console commands in RPGs to spawn uber loot in the first minute of the game.