Larian Studios
Posted By: born2beagator Sports. - 23/01/11 02:22 AM
I know this is a video game forum, but thought I would start a sports thread in the chat. Post everything sports related here

Favorite sports teams?

Mine are

The Gators (obviously)
Bucs
Rays
Lightning
Magic

Be interesting to hear from our friends across the pond too.
Posted By: born2beagator Re: Sports. - 23/01/11 03:27 AM
C'mon, there has got to be some sports fans in here cool
Posted By: vometia Re: Sports. - 23/01/11 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by born2beagator

silly
Posted By: born2beagator Re: Sports. - 23/01/11 02:55 PM
Guess not...
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: Sports. - 24/01/11 06:57 PM
On and off, but my main interest is in Football - that is to say the REAL game, not that strange version of Rugby you Americans play! laugh

I wouldn't describe myself as a massive fan of any sport, but the English Premier League is very interesting this season smile
Posted By: born2beagator Re: Sports. - 24/01/11 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Elliot_Kane
On and off, but my main interest is in Football - that is to say the REAL game, not that strange version of Rugby you Americans play! laugh

I wouldn't describe myself as a massive fan of any sport, but the English Premier League is very interesting this season smile

Blasphemy!!! Football here is almost a religion!!! laugh
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: Sports. - 24/01/11 08:53 PM
To quote the late, great Bill Shankly (Though apparently he never said it, but history loves inaccurate quotes! :D) "Football isn't a matter of life and death. It's more important than that."

He was talking about REAL football, of course! The kind played with, ya know, feet! laugh
Posted By: born2beagator Re: Sports. - 24/01/11 09:05 PM
To quote the late, great Bill Shankly (Though apparently he never said it, but history loves inaccurate quotes! :D) "Football isn't a matter of life and death. It's more important than that."

He was talking about REAL football, of course! The kind played with, ya know, feet! laugh

LOL

Guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder. To us real football is played with a oblong ball and the only kicking is done on punts kickoffs and field goals. headbanging
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: Sports. - 24/01/11 10:42 PM
It surely is! All kidding aside, both sports require a lot of skill & athleticism, which are surely admirable.

Still think Gridiron is only worth watching for the cheerleaders, though! laugh
Posted By: born2beagator Re: Sports. - 24/01/11 10:49 PM
It surely is! All kidding aside, both sports require a lot of skill & athleticism, which are surely admirable.

Still think Gridiron is only worth watching for the cheerleaders, though! laugh

Well this is the best time of the year over here. Superbowl time.

Cheerleaders are a definite plus
Posted By: vometia Re: Sports. - 25/01/11 12:02 AM

They're better than our "mascots" which seem to typically consist of a fat man dressed up in a silly costume usually of some type of farm animal.
Posted By: born2beagator Re: Sports. - 25/01/11 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by Vometia

They're better than our "mascots" which seem to typically consist of a fat man dressed up in a silly costume usually of some type of farm animal.

Oh, this thread is now useless without pics. LOL

We got some good mascots here too.
Posted By: born2beagator Re: Sports. - 25/01/11 12:18 AM
My personal favorites cool

[Linked Image]

Albert and Alberta, the mascots of THE University Of Florida.
Posted By: vometia Re: Sports. - 25/01/11 12:33 AM
My personal favorites cool

Albert and Alberta, the mascots of THE University Of Florida.

I think they're quite civilised compared to this:

[Linked Image]

Not only does it look pants, it's a bloody magpie of all things. As I hinted at earlier, I'm not really a big follower of sports so I'm not really sure where to look for the very worst mascots, but I have seen some truly awful ones on the sports section of our regional news programmes.
Posted By: born2beagator Re: Sports. - 25/01/11 12:42 AM
a magpie???

What kind of team uses a little songbird as their mascot???
Posted By: vometia Re: Sports. - 25/01/11 01:09 AM
a magpie???

What kind of team uses a little songbird as their mascot???

Magpies aren't little songbirds, they're revolting creatures! In essence they've flying chavs (not sure what's the US equivalent of a chav: I remember hearing the term [edit: removed--me] somewhere, so maybe that; basically a delinquent, anyway) and are so generally unpleasant that they're officially classed as vermin.

I imagine Newcastle Utd. chose them as a mascot because they share the same black & white colour scheme, at least I hope that's the reason and not some sort of statement of intent!

But believe me when I say that there's plenty worse than Newcastle's magpies. laugh
Posted By: born2beagator Re: Sports. - 25/01/11 02:01 AM
Had to look up chav. Wow, that sounds really annoying

generally most of our mascots over here are pretty cool
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: Sports. - 25/01/11 12:55 PM
Ours need dumping. Preferably in favour of cheerleaders! laugh
Posted By: born2beagator Re: Sports. - 25/01/11 06:48 PM
You DON'T have cheerleaders?!?!!?!??!?!?!?? jawdrop
Posted By: vometia Re: Sports. - 25/01/11 07:03 PM
You DON'T have cheerleaders?!?!!?!??!?!?!?? jawdrop

No. If we're lucky (for specific values of "lucky") we have a fat man dressed as a magpie or a farm animal, hence my moaning. Not that I actually attend sporting events, so a certain amount (probably all!) of my moaning may be discounted! But, no, we don't have cheerleaders. About the closest we get to that sort of thing are the complementary chavs stealing the wheels off your car while you're ordering a gristleburger and coke-substitute.
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: Sports. - 26/01/11 12:21 AM
Vometia is so right... unfortunately. We may have the best football, but we paid for it by not getting the cheerleaders! laugh
Posted By: Joram Re: Sports. - 31/01/11 10:20 AM

I hope I may write down also some kind of sports I like to follow on television ?

I mostly follow :
Cyclocross (last weekend it was the World Champion Competition in Germany, and Z. Stybar won)
Cycle racing (like 'Tour the France', etc!)
Formula 1
Tennis (sometimes)

I myself like doing :
cylce (mostly), walk, skiing, sometimes bowling ...
Posted By: born2beagator Re: Sports. - 31/01/11 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Joram

I hope I may write down also some kind of sports I like to follow on television ?

I mostly follow :
Cyclocross (last weekend it was the World Champion Competition in Germany, and Z. Stybar won)
Cycle racing (like 'Tour the France', etc!)
Formula 1
Tennis (sometimes)

I myself like doing :
cylce (mostly), walk, skiing, sometimes bowling ...

Wow, interesting.
Posted By: vometia Re: Sports. - 31/01/11 06:30 PM
I hadn't thought of the "what will I watch on telly?" aspect: which is a bit of a "doh!" moment since that's what most people do rather than the playing or attending I was thinking of.

I rather enjoy the Winter Olympics and similar stuff: for me it seems to have a certain civility that other sports sometimes lack, though most of its constituent parts tend to be hideously dangerous. It's also paradoxically something that Britain is reasonably good at in spite of the lack of snowy peaks in our locale: but we (well, I say "we": the athletes who actually put in the effort, that is) seem to have rather more successes than the numerous sports invented in these isles which everyone else thrashes us at.

On the random times I've seen rally driving it looks quite exciting, certainly compared to the Forumla 1 my friend was obsessed with (actually I think it was mainly because she fancied Damon Hill) but I've never really made a point of watching it. Maybe I should, given that my own driving "skills" tend to... erm... well, I just remember things like going up a 4' embankment backwards and ending up in a ploughed field. I guess I'm lucky that the car was still driveable. And that I appear to be in possession of all four limbs. Such was the frenetic drive to work.
Posted By: flixerflax Re: Sports. - 01/02/11 07:13 AM
GO GATORS!!!

Nah, I'm also in Florida but I don't give a rip, sorry. :hihi: I go to the Gators vs. Bulldogs game each year but it's more of a social thing. cheer

Sometimes I have a football game on TV in the background, because it's oddly soothing (reminds me of my childhood I think).

There are medieval and Scottish festivals that come through Jacksonville once a year so I go to see archery competitions, weapon demonstration, dudes in kilts throwing big logs end over end, that kind of thing. And that's about it. rpg001

Unless...is air guitar competitions a sport? biggrin
Posted By: born2beagator Re: Sports. - 01/02/11 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by flixerflax
GO GATORS!!!

Nah, I'm also in Florida but I don't give a rip, sorry. :hihi: I go to the Gators vs. Bulldogs game each year but it's more of a social thing. cheer

Sometimes I have a football game on TV in the background, because it's oddly soothing (reminds me of my childhood I think).

There are medieval and Scottish festivals that come through Jacksonville once a year so I go to see archery competitions, weapon demonstration, dudes in kilts throwing big logs end over end, that kind of thing. And that's about it. rpg001

Unless...is air guitar competitions a sport? biggrin

LOL

Nice. As long as you aren't a Nolie. wink
Posted By: Cleglaw Re: Sports. - 15/02/11 05:18 AM
San Antonio Spurs fan for years
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Sports. - 15/02/11 04:54 PM
Bayer Leverkusen
1. FC Köln (as long as they have problems)
Posted By: born2beagator Re: Sports. - 20/02/11 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by Cleglaw
San Antonio Spurs fan for years

Magic fan here
Posted By: Foxytiler Re: Sports. - 27/03/11 10:58 AM
Hi everyone just reading the intresting debate on mascots and cheerleaders and I agree lets ditch the mascots and get some cheerleaders into English football. Although it may be intresting on a cold wet Tuesday night away at Scunthorpe. wink
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: Sports. - 27/03/11 05:27 PM
Not quite so much fun for the poor cheerleaders, that, I'd have to agree! laugh
Posted By: Foxytiler Re: Sports. - 27/03/11 08:56 PM
After some of the games I've been to while following Leicester city for the last 20+ years the cheerleaders do sound appealing and if there is a wet t-shirt thrown in for good measure then all the more better for it wink
© Larian Studios forums