Larian Studios
Posted By: Halpmepls I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 04:05 AM
I play an archer with stealth (level 8), I have 9 dex and 2 bow skills.

I have quickly unlocked the 2nd map and am trying to kill all the mobs. But I can't even hit them! I hit one shot out of like 20, just missing all the damn time!

Really giving me a headache it's a pain, I want to be able to progress through the game how I want, not some linear bullshit like "You are supposed to go east, then west, then blah."

Why am I missing all the damn time
Posted By: Fellgnome Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 04:44 AM
Keep in mind bows lose accuracy over distance. Perception helps with that.

Also things that increase chance to hit:

- Disabled targets(stunned, knocked down, etc) have a 100% chance to be hit

- Lucky Charm gives 3 offense rating per rank

- Leadership rank 2 bonus gives a quite substantial 10% boost to chance to hit

- Bless (Geomancy spell) gives +30 offense rating

- Ranged Precision Stance (Marksman) gives +30 offense rating at a trade off of 1 extra AP to shoot

You can toggle Precision Stance off and on for no AP cost, so using it based on your chance to hit is a good idea.

Posted By: Halpmepls Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 04:56 AM
you're kidding right, I'd hoped I would just put points in dexterity and that would be it.

I can't knockdown I'm just an archer. Knockdown arrows are not unlimited in stores. I don't craft.

This game's ruleset is the pinnacle of stupidity.

I want to kill mobs above my level, but apparently every enemy has a healing spell. I can't use stealth as it will result in them running away.

This is totally unfair for the player. I don't have bless I don't have a mage. I have two archers, I'm trying to play with only 2 characters.

What a stupid piece of shit. I think I'll go back to the proper DnD ruleset, at least I know why I'm not hitting.

Edit: Shitty precision stance wastes Action Points when used. Every attack takes like 10 action points, and it's not even sure you will hit the enemy. Another shitty rule from Larian, the Belgian kings of the rigged die rolls for AI.

Edit: I really am so mad at this game it's unbelievable. I don't think I've ever been this mad, I really punched my keyboard and the plastic casing broke in half.
Posted By: Halpmepls Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 05:02 AM
Also, if you don't craft or blacksmith in this game you have no chance to apply damage to your weapons. There are no smiths in the world that can help you with that, for a fee.

Do you know of any RPG where smiths don't apply elemental damage to your weapons, or they don't craft your weapons? I certainly don't.

In this world though, only the player can craft and smith.

What in the hell kind of RPG is this? Is this their first Role playing game or something?

If not, I'd be worried about this company making any more.
Posted By: Jackal2200 Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 05:03 AM
How old are you?
Posted By: Halpmepls Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 05:12 AM
Why does that matter? Do you understand what I've written?

the game is designed so that you can play it only one way. Do you understand that? this is crap game design, it's not an RPG.

Just now, my archer stealthed trying to get those fire enemies in the first map. Once they get below half their health, they keep healing. I dont mean they heal once per 3-4 rounds. I mean they KEEP healing, every round, until health is above halfway. That sound fair to you?

I don't want to play with 4 people, I don't want to do the undead first, I want to take out the enemies I want. I want to solo the game with 2 stealth archers, not with their stupid rulesets that will not allow me any freedom.

Totally Awful game design. Yet, you ask my age, that seems to bother you more.

By the way, I am not just a casual gamer like most people. I spend at least 10 hours a day, every day playing games. I don't play like a child, I play like an adult.
Posted By: X-tasy Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 05:31 AM
So for a party game you expect that only one class can achieve everything laugh laugh . You cant do that! Thats not how party-based-games work.

Its totally your mistake. Create a new party and put some points in Water than you can heal yourself. And Lone Wolf is not for beginners.

Go try playing DnD with only one class the whole party laugh .
Posted By: Halpmepls Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 05:38 AM
Originally Posted by X-tasy
So for a party game you expect that only one class can achieve everything laugh laugh . You cant do that! Thats not how party-based-games work.

Its totally your mistake. Create a new party and put some points in Water than you can heal yourself. And Lone Wolf is not for beginners.

Go try playing DnD with only one class the whole party laugh .

I am not a beginner. I played hours of Neverwinter nights and know exactly how to spec.

This game is just bad. I have managed to beat Evelyn solo by stealth, it was easy. Why won't the game let me beat everything else? Because it is not free at all, it's an "On-Rails" adventure game.

You can't multiclass properly in this. I basically aimed for an archer who could solo the game with stealth, but virtually every enemy heals in this.

I took out all of Braccus's enemies, and everytime you hit Braccus guess what, he heals. Do you think these are good enemy designs?

I have played a lot of RPGs and this is not one. It has everything that makes an RPG missing.

1) No NPC smiths that can craft weapons for the player.

2) No freedom. On-rails everytime you start.

3) No dual weilding.

4) No balanced multi-class.

5) No classic stat bonuses or penalties.

6) Cheating AI.

Posted By: allsweptaway Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 05:44 AM
Originally Posted by Fellgnome
Keep in mind bows lose accuracy over distance. Perception helps with that.

Also things that increase chance to hit:

- Disabled targets(stunned, knocked down, etc) have a 100% chance to be hit

- Lucky Charm gives 3 offense rating per rank

- Leadership rank 2 bonus gives a quite substantial 10% boost to chance to hit

- Bless (Geomancy spell) gives +30 offense rating

- Ranged Precision Stance (Marksman) gives +30 offense rating at a trade off of 1 extra AP to shoot

You can toggle Precision Stance off and on for no AP cost, so using it based on your chance to hit is a good idea.

Posted By: rk47 Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 07:40 AM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Halpmepls Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 07:43 AM
Why do you feel you have to post a picture of your mom on the forums? It is not ideal.

I don't even know what that is supposed to mean. I am fat nerd crying? QQ more? Lern2play noob?

Whatever it means, I have convictions. My points are valid, you will know in a couple of months when all the excitement has waned and this has gone on sale.

By the way, I don't remember "old school" like Bioware titles being forgotten very easily.
Posted By: rk47 Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 08:05 AM
I'm sorry, i"m just shocked at how badly you are responding to the help they give.
But carry on, it's obvious it's not your fault.
Yes, I agree with you. The game is to blame for your failure.
I really hate this game letting you fail so much.
Every game should let you win and play however you want.
Posted By: Jito463 Re: I miss all the d*** time! - 23/07/14 08:06 AM
Kid, you've done nothing but whine and moan and complain about breaking your keyboard. Others have tried to explain to you what you're doing wrong, and you've consistently chosen to ignore and even deride them. If you'd read the manual or even just look at the attributes, you'd know you need more than just Dexterity. Perception, Speed and even Constitution are necessary skills. It's not the games fault that you don't pay attention.

Perception: Affects your critical chance, initiative, starting AP in combat, ability to detect traps and accuracy when shooting over long distances.

Speed: Affects your movement speed, initiative and how many AP you can use in combat.

Constitution: Determine how much vitality you have and max number of AP.

Dexterity only affects your chance to hit, but is not the end-all-be-all of using a bow. You need points in other attributes.
Posted By: Halpmepls Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by rk47
I'm sorry, i"m just shocked at how badly you are responding to the help they give.
But carry on, it's obvious it's not your fault.
Yes, I agree with you. The game is to blame for your failure.
I really hate this game letting you fail so much.
Every game should let you win and play however you want.

I don't know if you missed the posts or you are utterly retarded. If you are, no hatred here, everyone can "express themselves."

It is not that the game is to blame for my failure, it is how it's completely unflexible.
Posted By: rk47 Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 08:16 AM
Indeed it is, I always hate putting point in Intelligence for my Magic Knight. I want to play a Red Knight you see, a Fire Magic guy running in, Phoenix Dive - Then Fire Shield! Explode Fireball and immune to fire. But to do that I gotta waste so many points in INT - then go STR then waste point on SPD... fucking hell. This is inflexible. In Skyrim I can do that. Why can't I do it in D:OS

Posted By: Eryendil Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 08:21 AM
I agree, it's not even possible to fart in the direction of the enemies while holding a flametorch behind me. I want more freedom, FREEDOOOOOOM!!

That being said, I smell trolls!
Posted By: X-tasy Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 08:29 AM
Lone Wolf is for second playthrough and for experts that know all of mechanics ingame and archer is the weakest class in my opinion.

Try to max Loremaster early with one guy so that you can see resistance of your enemy.

Max one char on Crafting for better weapons, arrows etc.

Buy "shield"- and "immune to X-Effect"-scrolls and special arrows of the four elements. Piercing sucks really against skeltons etc so use a lot of special arrows.

Make one char more tanky and choose for the other glass cannon so that you have more action points. Dont resist to flee if the fight looks bad.

And dont forget that one or two level make a big difference in the game.
Posted By: Incendax Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 08:31 AM
This is absolutely a joke thread, guys. laugh
This is parody laugh
Posted By: Whysper Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 09:45 AM
If it is, it is in very poor taste.
Posted By: dlux Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 10:22 AM
Dis thread funny.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jacob Marner Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Halpmepls

I don't want to play with 4 people, I don't want to do the undead first, I want to take out the enemies I want. I want to solo the game with 2 stealth archers, not with their stupid rulesets that will not allow me any freedom.

Seriously. You are making things very hard for yourself. Unbalanced party and with only 2 people. No wonder it is hard.

It is like playing Call of Duty and complaining that you can't win without shooting.

The game is designed to be played with a full 4 player party with a balanced set of skill.
Posted By: Hiver Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 10:58 AM
No its not. You can play with two characters.

He just refuses to even learn the rules and the system and does one single thing and repeats it even though it isnt working.
Posted By: Jacob Marner Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 11:06 AM
Yes, it is possible with two characters. What I meant was that it is harder and you should know what you are doing. Sorry for being unclear.
Posted By: BobTheBard Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 11:58 AM
If you've truly played 'hours' of games like NWN, then you should know that a party of two people who do exactly the same thing is going to run into problems. To use NWN examples you should be familiar with, try fighting a golem with a party full of mages. Enjoy your total party kill since golems are immune to magic. Or try fighting a demilich without a cleric or a paladin. They're immune to almost everything except divine damage and have a save-or-die spell they can use every round for free. Diversity is key. Use it. Love it.

That said, if you want to press on, here's how you do it.

1) Bless is a low-level Geomancy spell that greatly boosts hit chance. Have your archers take 1 point in Geomancy (that's all you need) and they can Bless each other at the start of combat.

2) Ranged Precision Stance. Yes it costs one more AP per shot, but it's better to fire 3 shots that hit something than 4 shots that all miss.

3) Avoid fights you can't win. This is key in any game that has combat. If the enemy is significantly stronger or higher level than you don't run up and shoot them! You're not going to be able to hit them because their defense rating is so high compared to your offense rating. It's like trying to take on a Revered Dragon at level 1 in Skyrim, or trying to down a battlecruiser with a single marine in Starcraft. When you're doing something specialized you have to know your limits.

4) Branch out. Both characters don't need to be pure archers. As a matter of fact you'll run into some serious complications if they are because of how reliant archers are on consumables for elemental damage - You'll be unable to exploit elemental rock paper scissors without losing a ton of gold. Get some basic magic skills going, or give one of them some melee skills, or give then Sneak.
Posted By: Vandraman Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 12:06 PM
I'm going with joke thread. Parody of other posts where people have absurd builds/ narrow expectations of the game/ desire for an I win button.

Alternative possibility: halpmepls is a desperately sad troll.
Posted By: tarasis Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 01:01 PM
If it is a joke/parody thread its in very poor taste and doesn't paint a good picture for those randomly dropping in.

Originally Posted by Hiver
He just refuses to even learn the rules and the system and does one single thing and repeats it even though it isnt working.

I love that he wants to dump all his points into Dex and yet moans about not being able to properly multi class in the game.
Posted By: dirigible Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 01:34 PM
I have made archer characters, and they work just fine.
Because I understand the game mechanics.

I have made hybrid characters, and they work just fine.

When I miss an enemy, I know why.

All these people are trying to explain the game mechanics to you, and you're knee deep in your own righteous indignation that you're bad at a game.
Posted By: Minttunator Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 01:57 PM
By the way, I am not just a casual gamer like most people. I spend at least 10 hours a day, every day playing games. I don't play like a child, I play like an adult.

Great job, 5/5 - would get trolled again! hahaha
Posted By: Trancid Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 02:51 PM

the game is designed so that you can play it only one way.

That sums up the fact that you have no idea what you're doing and is just being mad cause you can't understand what's going on. The game can be played in so many ways that it's hard to think of all of them.
Posted By: Hiver Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 02:53 PM
You guys are too optimistic in thinking this is just trolling.
Posted By: ScrotieMcB Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Hiver
You guys are too optimistic in thinking this is just trolling.
It helps me sleep at night.
Posted By: Halpmepls Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 07:43 PM
*tips fedora*
Posted By: Vandraman Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 08:10 PM
*tips fedora*

Heh. Nice one.
Posted By: Mr. C Re: I miss all the damn time! - 23/07/14 08:24 PM
I've gotten as far as you have (or further) playing with one character. She's an archer. She depends on stealth.

Higher level enemies are extremely difficult to hit. That's just an artifact of the level system (i.e. lvl 3 character, lvl 3 enemy, etc etc).

You CAN however sneak pretty much everywhere... collect all the stones, have all the "conversations" and collect a TON of loot.
© Larian Studios forums