Larian Studios
Posted By: Phenomen Walking bush stealth is joke - 26/05/14 04:51 AM
I really hope it's temporary animation because you haven't implemented proper sneak animation yet. This immersion-breaking walking bush shouldn't make it's way into release version.
Posted By: Arjiki Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 26/05/14 05:06 AM
I know you did not intend it, but your title got it right. The walking bush is a joke, and a deliberate one. Divinity Original Sin is filled with humorous elements and this is one of the better ones. Nothing beats sneaking around someone's bedroom disguised as a moving piece of shrubbery.

I don't think there are any plans on changing it.
Posted By: Gyson Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 26/05/14 05:30 AM
I thought the plan was to expand upon it, actually. Bush in the wild, barrel in the city, etc. Did that plan get tossed?
Posted By: Raze Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 26/05/14 06:47 AM

That's still the plan AFAIK.
Posted By: NeutroniumDragon Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 26/05/14 07:39 AM
It's not only a joke in itself, it's often seen in (mostly older) comedy shows/movies. No one ever suspects the out of place bush that keeps getting closer...
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 26/05/14 11:50 AM
The walking bush is great, even if they don't change it.
Posted By: Hiver Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 26/05/14 12:00 PM
I like it very much. Its actually great.

It is actually better then any of the laughable attempts to make it look "realistic" seen in so many other games that have a distant perspective.

And lets not forget that it switches you into mode where you see where NPCs are looking.

Which also looks pretty great.
And then you see a bush trying to move to avoid that :P

Its funny, makes me smile everytime.

Posted By: Killy86 Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 26/05/14 01:17 PM
Stealthing as a bush in someones room behind him and pickpocketing him is totally legit!

I like it.
Posted By: theBlackDragon Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 26/05/14 01:38 PM
Obligatory Monty Python reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltmMJntSfQI wink
Posted By: Elwyn Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 26/05/14 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Killy86
Stealthing as a bush in someones room behind him and pickpocketing him is totally legit!

I like it.

Can probably be topped only by a walking barrel! (... or by a walking set of cleaning utensils like broom and bucket...)
Posted By: Gyson Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 26/05/14 03:00 PM
I like (and laugh at) the bush myself. I suspect this complaint is going to come up often after launch, however. I think the problem now is that as the role of rogue/thief becomes more viable as a class (in this classless system), it will attract more and more players who enjoy playing that role.. and who want to look as bad-@#$ as possible while doing it.

And then they turn into a walking bush, and the humor is at odds with their desire to look like a cool assassin. They probably want more Splinter Cell and less Monty Python. I can put myself in their shoes and understand the complaint, though. I wouldn't want my warrior to go into Three Stooges mode every time he got into melee combat.

Still hoping to see barrels and bushes, though. smile
Posted By: Horrorscope Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 26/05/14 03:27 PM
I think it's an appropriate time to lay our respects to Bush Man at the San Fran Wharf who passed recently. For years he would hide in a moving bush and scare tourists, good fun had by all. Perhaps you knew of him.

Perhaps MIT's Camo Generator:
http://www.hardocp.com/news/2014/05/22/mit_has_developed_camouflage_generator/
Posted By: ynotndalton Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 26/05/14 03:46 PM
Agreed.. love the bush keep it lol.
Posted By: PeteNewell Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 26/05/14 04:04 PM
So if I'm following along here, just so I'm sure I understand, you're playing a game with

* were-sheep
* talking rats
* fuzzy bunnies with attitude
* arthritic skeletons
* back-firing, disfunctional love potions
* wizards who prefer to be cats
* cats who prefer to be sailors
* integrated rock-paper-scissors as a plot mechanic
* desperately needy talking crabs, and melancholic giant oysters
* a boss named Pontius Pirate
* axe handles and occasional sword hilts the size of fence posts
* googly-eyed explodey suicide skeletons
* a Tapestry of Time watermarked "Stub" (I still miss that)

...and that's all well and good.

But you sneak by disguising yourself as a bush, and that's where you draw the line?
That's just not funny anymore?

All right, then. Carry on.
Posted By: Elwyn Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 26/05/14 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by PeteNewell
So if I'm following along here, just so I'm sure I understand, you're playing a game with

* were-sheep
* talking rats
* arthritic skeletons

But you sneak by disguising yourself as a bush, and that's where you draw the line?

Your post has just made me laugh for whole 5 minutes! hehe
Posted By: PeteNewell Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 26/05/14 06:56 PM
Look at that: tone carried through as intended on the internet, for once!
Posted By: Hassat Hunter Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 27/05/14 02:42 PM
Heh, I love the bush... It's great.
Posted By: VienxInq Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 27/05/14 05:38 PM
One thing I noticed with the sneak mechanic is that when I am sneaking with both characters, when I switch characters the one I am switching from stands up and vice versa. Not sure why if I switch while in sneak mode the characters should stay sneaking and not stand.
Posted By: RtM Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 27/05/14 06:59 PM
Look some people love bush and other dont. I mean back in the 70's/80's it was all the rage. Not now though. People tend to trim or remove it completely. So maybe D:OS should move with the times. Make the sneaking more aerodynamic.
Posted By: PeteNewell Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 27/05/14 07:25 PM
I bet Yuthul Gor sells wax.

I'm not sure you'd want to use it yourself, though...
Posted By: Horrorscope Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 28/05/14 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by RtM
Look some people love bush and other dont. I mean back in the 70's/80's it was all the rage. Not now though. People tend to trim or remove it completely. So maybe D:OS should move with the times. Make the sneaking more aerodynamic.

I think you totally just ended the debate, since this is a throwback game BUSH it is!
Posted By: Hassat Hunter Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 06/06/14 11:04 AM
Seems you get your wish... although that snowman is anything but serious either.

And personally, I'm loving that smile
Posted By: Psomm Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 06/06/14 06:39 PM
First mod? http://i.imgur.com/lj9xk.jpg
Posted By: Aramintai Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 06/06/14 07:22 PM
In new beta you can turn into other objects as well, like stone or barrel. Very nice smile
Posted By: eRe4s3r Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 07/06/14 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by PeteNewell

* were-sheep
* talking rats
* arthritic skeletons

And now remember that this vanilla campaign is played once and then forgotten. But user created campaigns, maybe ones inspired by actual hard fantasy writing and settings will want this thing to be gone because they will have NOTHING of the things you listed there. I am sure the first mod you will see will remove this feature though...

People are rightfully worried that this may be hard-coded imo, just like that rock paper scissor thing (which by the way, I think is not as bad as anything else you listed ,p) As a mechanic it's neat. It gives a nice thrill when the AI personalities disagree with you and push you into a fight you may not have wanted, and all because you failed at rock paper scissors...

And campaigns who don't want this, likely will do behind the scenes dialog checks anyway and not allow this minigame to popup at all.
Posted By: Adnor Re: Walking bush stealth is joke - 07/06/14 04:12 AM
I doubt the first mod will remove this, the first mod will add the Metal Gear box as an animation, so it will be even more silly laugh
© Larian Studios forums