Larian Studios
Posted By: Firesnakearies oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 08:34 AM
If the game gives us the opportunity to willingly turn into an actual mind flayer later on, how many of you would take it?

What about becoming a vampire?

What about becoming a werewolf?

WHAT MONSTER DO YOU WANT TO BECOME?
Posted By: Abits Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 08:41 AM
I think the only right answer here is blast-ended skrewt
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 08:43 AM
wot is that?
Posted By: Abits Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 09:01 AM
Best creatures ever.

About vampires and werewolves - I think the FR version of vampires is pretty lame. We had many innovations (and some regressions) in the vampire mythos over the years, but FR lore doesn't do anything with it. Vampires in the FR are not much more than a very powerful monster to kill by the players. I think there are two reasons for it, one is about gameplay, since being a vampire makes the player too strong for the game to balance, and the other reason is the stupid binary alignment system.
Werewolves are slightly better off, but again from what I understand being a werewolf in FR settings means being restricted, either to a specific druid kit or a curse that automatically makes you evil.
Posted By: Dexai Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 09:22 AM
What if I'm already a fish
Posted By: fallenj Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
If the game gives us the opportunity to willingly turn into an actual mind flayer later on, how many of you would take it?

I'd like to have Vecna's eye back pls...um if I become a evil monster can I use evil for good?
Posted By: virion Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 09:28 AM
I would totally be against becoming a mind flayer because of how they are presented in the EA. They seem to be a bunch of muppets who can't even kidnap six people without everything going south. No wonder they devour intellect, they need it asap.

Never took an opportunity to change my character to something else forever in any game. Mostly based on the fact the grass always seem to be greener on the other side. And it never is in reality.
Posted By: vyvexthorne Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 10:23 AM
I'd definitely become a mind flayer in at least one run. .. For subsequent runs it'd depend on what the outcome / advantages of doing so were.

As for Vampire, Astarian ruins the fun of that. Werewolf I'm assuming that would come along with being a druid Shifter. Again, if they create a companion that has that ability then that pretty much ruins the fun or uniqueness of it for me.

If I could have any choice I guess I'd like to be a Hollyphant.. Little fuzzy flying elephant.
Posted By: Ari Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 10:26 AM
Death, destroyer of worlds.

Probably a drider. Get all the powers of being a spider centaur thing, then ditch lolth and become a paladin with a built-in exotic mount.
Posted By: Verte Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 10:32 AM
Werewolf ofc

if only it won't involve banging some grandma
Posted By: Moirnelithe Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 11:19 AM
I want to take over Lolth's portfolio. Why settle for being a scrub?
Posted By: OneManArmy Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 12:07 PM
Oh new crazy topic, I love it

But I wouldn't want to become a monster
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by virion
They seem to be a bunch of muppets who can't even kidnap six people without everything going south. No wonder they devour intellect, they need it asap.

lol!
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by OneManArmy

What if it was a sexy monster though?
Posted By: BuckettMonkey Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by virion
I would totally be against becoming a mind flayer because of how they are presented in the EA. They seem to be a bunch of muppets who can't even kidnap six people without everything going south. No wonder they devour intellect, they need it asap.

Really. It's so easy to deal with the dragonriders trained to kill illithids and the forces of Nine Hells fighting for centuries in the greatest War ever seen planes.
Even I could handle it.
Posted By: Sozz Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 02:51 PM
huh?.....https://youtu.be/QvNV0YYKSPw?t=233

I guess there's no way to start a video at a specific time, *sigh*
Posted By: Sozz Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 03:03 PM
I think playing as the 'monster' would be fun, but wouldn't becoming part of a mind-flayer hivemind preclude somewhat our ability to make choices? I guess I don't really know how autonomous Mind-Flayers are.
Posted By: Aishaddai Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 03:34 PM
Hmmm I prefer werewolf out of your choices because I need sun in my life. I think I would just gross myself out if I became a mindflayer. I don't half ass anything so I'd go all in which means brain food anyone who is not already dominated no mercy. Imagine a mindflayer with a fork and knife just walking around. That would be me. Gotta commit lol.

Though I would actually try Minotaur just out of curiosity. Besides that I would want to be a demigod and work my way up the divine ladder with straight fighting. The fun way of becoming divine CEO.

If anyone had a choice would anyone become a Tarrasque? Just wreck everything and just leave lol.
Posted By: Vhaldez Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 03:36 PM

You can become both. It was revealed in a now privated livestream. The truth is out there.
Posted By: Aishaddai Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Vhaldez

You can become both. It was revealed in a now privated livestream. The truth is out there.

Seriously? No bs? That would be kind of awesome.
Posted By: Phea Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 04:12 PM
Normally I'd say HELL YES for a vampire spawn... but this game gives me exactly the very character I would create by myself so no thank you laugh
Posted By: Sadurian Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 04:14 PM
I'm still going to push for a playable (non-Astarion) vampire spawn/half-vampire. However, I'd like to start in that state rather than have to change part-way through the game.
Posted By: Dexai Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 05:42 PM
What about becoming a Frankenmonster? Or a golem?
Posted By: Uncle Lester Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 05:51 PM
A vampiric illithilich, obviously.

In general, it would be awesome to be able to become a lich through some difficult, obscure means and a lengthy wizard quest. But I suppose it would be better suited for a sequel/expansion with higher levels, so we don't have the "level 8 lich" dissonance. (CR 21, so would be a difficult encounter even for a party of level 20 practically-demigods.)

I'm going to agree with Sadurian: custom vampire spawn would be cool. I'm not a fan of Astarion, but the mechanics seem interesting (invitation, avoiding water). Also personal quest of killing the master for promotion to full vampire. Aaand I'd love to play a race that is not normally seen as vampires: picture vampire halfling, dwarf, dragonborn or half-orc.

I'd also like to be able to play as a wererat. Wererat + illithid tadpole = were-cranium-rat.

Or a werewolf tabaxi. Would confuse the hell out of everyone. (Werecat tabaxi might be even more confusing, though.)

I like the idea with the Hand and Eye of Vecna. I'd love it if the game gave us some cursed alignment-related items and actually restricted dialogue options if we "use" Vecna's remains or items like Helmet of Opposite Alignment. (Though I suppose that's not likely given WotC's current alignment policy...)
Posted By: Sadurian Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
Or a werewolf tabaxi. Would confuse the hell out of everyone. (Werecat tabaxi might be even more confusing, though.)

In our tabletop game, a tabaxi character was infected by a were-tiger. We have still to find out exactly how that is going to manifest.

Also infected was a triton (a sort of fish-man). We await that transformation with interest as well.
Posted By: Argyle Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 06:01 PM
I am actually quite happy to play as a human.

Were-creatures have a human aspect, so I might consider playing a were-squirrel, something like Sandy Cheeks but a little bit more menacing. I will crack your nuts, evil!
Posted By: Verte Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Argyle
I am actually quite happy to play as a human.

Were-creatures have a human aspect, so I might consider playing a were-squirrel, something like Sandy Cheeks but a little bit more menacing. I will crack your nuts, evil!

A cultist of Great Acorn apocalypse?
Posted By: TheOtherTed Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 06:11 PM
illithilich

What a great word. As soon as I saw it, though, my brain started singing it to the tune of this song. And I'll be darned if I'm the only one.

...so, you know, maybe that's the sort of monster I should become. Some sort of word-substitution earwig thing.
Posted By: Aishaddai Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 06:14 PM
Grim Hollow might be a nice addition since it has stuff like this. I heard it was interesting, but I don't know much about it.
Posted By: Uncle Lester Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Sadurian

In our tabletop game, a tabaxi character was infected by a were-tiger. We have still to find out exactly how that is going to manifest.

Also infected was a triton (a sort of fish-man). We await that transformation with interest as well.

Ahaha, that's awesome. Is the tabaxi striped? Maybe it's going to be "you've become... bulky and striped".

The triton should turn into a tiger shark.

Originally Posted by TheOtherTed
illithilich

What a great word. As soon as I saw it, though, my brain started singing it to the tune of this song. And I'll be darned if I'm the only one.

...so, you know, maybe that's the sort of monster I should become. Some sort of word-substitution earwig thing.

Oh no. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Posted By: Wormerine Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 06:43 PM

If I want to play as monster, I will pick “human” as my race.
Posted By: DistantStranger Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 08:22 PM
I haven't even tested the Illithid powers in EA where my saved game is ultimately doomed and nothing really matters. So hard no on the first question, as to the second. . .

I am old enough to have some Get of Fenris love. I would prefer to play variant human to the end, but I could be persuaded to get down with the lycanthropy
Posted By: Ghost King Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Wormerine

Clever. However, the most evil of all the humans is their spawn. They never stop. They never tire. And they devour...everything. Kind of like gremlins, but without the cute factor. badsmile
Posted By: Uncle Lester Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ghost King

Clever. However, the most evil of all the humans is their spawn. They never stop. They never tire. And they devour...everything. Kind of like gremlins, but without the cute factor. badsmile

The noise!
Posted By: SaurianDruid Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 11:26 PM
If by becoming an Illithid you mean becoming the Adversary, a Mind Flayer who retains the mind and soul of the person they were before and is prophesized to bring ruin to the Mind Flayers, I'd be 100% for that.

I actually think that might be this game's endgame if you choose to abuse your tadpole enough. Sort of like embracing being a Bhaalspawn in the original games. Eventually you become a Mind Flayer with command over your own destiny.

Aside from that I'd also love to play as a werewolf. Not super keen on vampires but a werewolf I would 100% play as if the option was there.
Posted By: OneManArmy Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 11:30 PM

What if it was a sexy monster though?

Elven woman, game designer already made her a monster.
Some people say it is even in the character creation editor. (female half-elf)

A sexy monster?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Verte Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 22/11/20 11:37 PM
Now I want to become OneManArmy and crush everybody with paintings of Kagha. I will one shot Minthara ;>
Posted By: N7Greenfire Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 12:14 AM
Werewolf plz
Posted By: alice_ashpool Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 01:00 AM

*falls out of gamer chair*
Posted By: Zarna Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 01:41 AM

In general, it would be awesome to be able to become a lich through some difficult, obscure means and a lengthy wizard quest. But I suppose it would be better suited for a sequel/expansion with higher levels, so we don't have the "level 8 lich" dissonance. (CR 21, so would be a difficult encounter even for a party of level 20 practically-demigods.)

Lich would be awesome.

Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
If by becoming an Illithid you mean becoming the Adversary, a Mind Flayer who retains the mind and soul of the person they were before and is prophesized to bring ruin to the Mind Flayers, I'd be 100% for that.

This could be fun too.
Posted By: vyvexthorne Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 04:40 AM
The top few on this list are pretty funny.

I wanna be a Spiderhorse. (Just kidding. That would be awful. .. Please don't make me play as a Spiderhorse.)
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 04:53 AM
Originally Posted by vyvexthorne

I wanna be a Spiderhorse. (Just kidding. That would be awful. .. Please don't make me play as a Spiderhorse.)

Wow, those are horrible.

oh no, I am become all monsters!
Posted By: KillerRabbit Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 05:28 AM
If we do go to avernus I want to try Stench Kow cheese.
Posted By: Argyle Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 06:12 AM
Ho, that list is terrific! "Death Linen", hee hee. What are that chances of one of those showing up in BG III? But it does remind me of this old pillow I have, stuffed between the bottom corner of my bed and the wall. I could have sworn I threw it out last year, but yet here it is. This pillow is really kind of ugly and lumpy, and I never use it for anything. I should just get rid of the thing. Let me just flop down and reach for it ... mmmph!
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 06:33 AM
It's all fun and games until the DEATH LINEN strikes.
Posted By: OneManArmy Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 09:55 AM
Can a monster be a hybrid?
Half vampire, half werewolf
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 10:44 AM

Sure, go nuts.
Posted By: Uncle Lester Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 10:45 AM

Wow. I read the whole list and went from "this is gold" to "seems the author of the list is the one who struggles with more entries". Mimics, drow, modrons, flumphs, atropals? Worst D&D monsters? Please.
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 10:57 AM

Wow. I read the whole list and went from "this is gold" to "seems the author of the list is the one who struggles with more entries". Mimics, drow, modrons, flumphs, atropals? Worst D&D monsters? Please.

Hold up. Are you saying you like flumphs?
Posted By: Uncle Lester Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 11:05 AM

Hold up. Are you saying you like flumphs?

...I admit I've had little experience with flumphs, but they never struck me as "bad D&D monster".

(My knowledge on flumphs comes from the wikia and D&D stories. I've never actually played tabletop D&D. I'm a fraud.)
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 11:31 AM

These things...

[Linked Image]

Nope.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Uncle Lester Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 11:53 AM
Fleshy jellyfish pancake spaghetti monsters!

And so we are back on topic.
Posted By: TheOtherTed Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 12:02 PM

Gotta respect the Duck Bunny, though.

As for Mimics, they inspired my interest in ecology through one simple question - how many greedy, clueless adventurers would there have to be to keep the species alive and reproducing?
Posted By: Dexai Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 12:48 PM

Sure, go nuts.

I tried to find an image of this to make a meme earlier, but surprisingly enough the internet seems to be very lacking in convincing vampwolf pictures frown

Originally Posted by TheOtherTed

Gotta respect the Duck Bunny, though.

As for Mimics, they inspired my interest in ecology through one simple question - how many greedy, clueless adventurers would there have to be to keep the species alive and reproducing?

Maybe mimics actually sustain themselves through the paranoid energy of adventurers who are terrified that anything in their daily life may be a mimic.
Posted By: Aria Athena Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 01:41 PM
Flying spaghetti monster. Any fellow pastafarians out there?
Posted By: Argyle Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Aria Athena
Flying spaghetti monster. Any fellow pastafarians out there?

Huh, apparently Pastafarianism is recognized by many as an official religion! It looks heavily based on sarcasm in the Greek tradition, and I approve of their support for the International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Aargh. And if you dig a little deeper into the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and get past the cute teddy bear-like representations, you eventually might see a strong connection to Lovecraft's Azathoth. Nothing is as it seems within the Mistshadow of our perceived reality. Aargh.
Posted By: Grantig Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 04:20 PM

Human.

Beside that, the Church of Cthulhu seems quite appropriate.
Posted By: vyvexthorne Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 05:18 PM

The site is Ranker so Just clicky the little arrows to vote your monsters up and down.. don't need to sign up or anything.. I was also incredibly surprised to see Drow there as it never even occurred to me that there would be real world racial issues associated with fantasy characters.
Posted By: OcO Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 06:39 PM
According to the lore vids I watched while waiting for EA release, Mindflayers have a kinda prophecy about a ceremorphisis that goes wrong and creates an independent Mindflayer with the memories and thoughts of its original host.
I would totally do an evil play through if it culminated in the tadpole and player agreeing to coop the process and become their own thing...a Mindflayer that still possesses the soul of its host.
Posted By: Argyle Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 06:43 PM
The old AD&D "Vault of the Drow" module describes them as dark-skinned yes, but also with white/silver hair and orange-yellow or sometimes violet eyes. Their ears are also large and pointy. I have never met a human with these characteristics, but if I do ever see one, I will think it very cool. Heck, with all the custom color (colour) contact lens and hair dye stuff we have today, this could be the start of the next big thing in human fashion.
Posted By: OneManArmy Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 08:31 PM

These things...

[Linked Image]

It reminded me Flying Spaghetti Monster

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Uncle Lester Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 08:31 PM

The site is Ranker so Just clicky the little arrows to vote your monsters up and down.. don't need to sign up or anything.. I was also incredibly surprised to see Drow there as it never even occurred to me that there would be real world racial issues associated with fantasy characters.

First time seeing that site, good to know you can vote just like that. And yeah, I agree on drow, though I'm aware that drow (like a bajillion races and things in general) have been recently accused of having "racist" undertones (har har). Also orcs, for whatever reason. You know, they offend the huge green tusked humans.

The old AD&D "Vault of the Drow" module describes them as dark-skinned yes, but also with white/silver hair and orange-yellow or sometimes violet eyes. Their ears are also large and pointy. I have never met a human with these characteristics, but if I do ever see one, I will think it very cool. Heck, with all the custom color (colour) contact lens and hair dye stuff we have today, this could be the start of the next big thing in human fashion.

Yup. If the creators of drow wanted to insult real-life humans, they've failed hard. Drow are primarily seen as "cool" if you judge by internet popularity (ok, also "edgy").
Posted By: Verte Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 23/11/20 11:38 PM
High five fellow pastafarians!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 04/12/20 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Verte
High five fellow pastafarians!

[Linked Image]

Whatever that thing is, it needs to die. Preferably by means of lots of fire. Not a judicious amount of fire. No, a preponderance of fire.
Posted By: Argyle Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 04/12/20 12:48 PM
High five!? That thing has eight fingers on its head! Stuff of nightmares. It kind of reminds me of the salt monster in the old Star Trek original series. Let's see if I can make a link to the picture, I have never done this before ...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 04/12/20 01:05 PM
High five!? That thing has eight fingers on its head! Stuff of nightmares. It kind of reminds me of the salt monster in the old Star Trek original series. Let's see if I can make a link to the picture, I have never done this before ...

[Linked Image]

This needs to be a playable race NOW, Larian. Forget all the tabaxi and tortles and other bullshit that people THINK they want. This right here is the money maker.
Posted By: asheraa Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 04/12/20 02:01 PM

These things...

[Linked Image]

It reminded me Flying Spaghetti Monster

[Linked Image]

All hail his noodly appendage!! *dons holy spaghetti strainer hat*
Posted By: Verte Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 04/12/20 10:37 PM

[img]vacuum monster pic skip[/img]

Ikr, but counting them would be a nightmare at its own :P
(it's monstrosity of sin from DkS3)

Your choice is more sexy <3
Posted By: Ankou Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 05/12/20 01:35 AM
Can I become a werepig?
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 06/12/20 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ankou
Can I become a werepig?

You can become ALL monsters.
Posted By: Kaptin Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 07/12/20 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Ankou
Can I become a werepig?

You can become ALL monsters.

I will become EA CEO the ultimate monster laugh
Becoming a lady of pain from Sigil would be a good secret cheat like you could get the bow of gods in bg1 and 2
Posted By: Firesnakearies Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 07/12/20 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Kaptin

I will become EA CEO the ultimate monster

No. There are some monsters too dark to even contemplate.
Posted By: OneManArmy Re: oh no, I am become all monsters - 10/12/20 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Kaptin

I will become EA CEO the ultimate monster

No. There are some monsters too dark to even contemplate.

The Sims 3 and 4 are priced at $ 1,000 per game with add-ons. How do you like that? This is not my fantasy, you can view the prices.
© Larian Studios forums