Larian Studios
Posted By: _Vic_ Official Community Update #4:Combat&Stealth - 16/07/20 05:30 AM
Community Update #4: A Little About...unity Update#4: About Combat and Stealth

"We invested heavily into what drives our animation pipeline, and specifically made tweaks to improve the feel and motion in combat. The increased brevity and flow is down to many, many changes shaving off microseconds (and sometimes entire seconds). For example, another character’s turn will begin - behind the scenes - as the previous character is ending their animation. Even things as simple as combining move animations with the hit of a melee strike shaves seconds off combat.

BG3’s combat is now set so that each combatant takes a turn at a time but there’s a twist. If multiple combatants of the same faction follow one another in the turn order, then you can simultaneously command each of them.

That means that based on the results of the initiative roll, you’ll experience a different tactical puzzle in each combat that really mixes everything up but still allows you to react to the “cards” you’re “dealt”, so to speak. (There aren’t literally any cards, sorry MTG fans!) Between the RNG of initiative, and the planning, you should be able to have a fresh experience with every combat while still being able to predict and plan with friends how to combine spells and abilities, and ultimately win the fight.

Baldur’s Gate 3 is a party-based game that you can play alone, controlling each character, or as a party of up to four where each person rolls their own character. (It’s of course possible to also play as 2, or 3 people, with AI, etc).

In multiplayer, when your avatars and companions are next to each other in the turn order players can simultaneously control characters. This allows you to communicate with your friends and combine spells and abilities to take advantage of more brains on the battlefield, and more hands on the keyboard. This, compared with Divinity: Original Sin 2, drastically reduces the amount of time each player would have to wait between turns, since they’re able to move together."

"Our stealth mechanics now also take light and darkness into account. You can be obscured or heavily obscured so that even when you are caught in the visibility cones of the enemy, you still have a chance to slip through unseen. Of course, that is if your enemies don’t have darkvision. Here’s a little table that summarizes how light, darkness and darkvision affect stealth.

Clear area = always visible.
Lightly obscured = stealth check.
Lightly obscured + enemy has darkvision = visible.
Heavily obscured = undetected.
Heavily obscured + enemy has darkvision = stealth check.

Things get even more interesting when you discover you can manipulate light by using spells or throwing water at a torch, as lighting is dynamic, and thus shadows are also."
"Things get even more interesting when you discover you can manipulate light by using spells or throwing water at a torch, as lighting is dynamic, and thus shadows are also.""

Amazing. Illusion spells generally are pretty poorly implemented on most games. Since i love necromancy, I can't use illusions on BG2 due my specialization, but lets see if Larian will make rogues and illusionists great. Simulacrum and mirror images are great on BG2 but be able to interact with the scenario fits more a illusionist.
I was wondering the rolls you see to pass the various checks they are already taking into account characters abilities & buffs ? e.g if a rogue is sneaking around a guard & needs say a 10 to be successful then I take it a plate wearing fighter needs a 19, or if you are moving a group the game works out averages & spits that out as the roll required say a 14 ?

This may be common knowledge I just hadn't seen it clearly demonstrated apart from in an individuals case & I just assume all the buffs etc are built into the roll required - I hope Im making sense......
i like it, on the other hand it might lead to uncanny things like oyu putting out fires and NPCs not noticing
Originally Posted by Tarorn
I was wondering the rolls you see to pass the various checks they are already taking into account characters abilities & buffs ? e.g if a rogue is sneaking around a guard & needs say a 10 to be successful then I take it a plate wearing fighter needs a 19, or if you are moving a group the game works out averages & spits that out as the roll required say a 14 ?

This may be common knowledge I just hadn't seen it clearly demonstrated apart from in an individuals case & I just assume all the buffs etc are built into the roll required - I hope Im making sense......

I am pretty sure skill checks will be per-character. That's how it seems to be with perception for example - every character makes a seperate roll.

All I like. Stealth has always been awkward in RPG. I think Pillars did a half decent job, but this is shaping up to be on another level. Anything that reminds me of Thief is good in my book. And adding enviromental effects to spells should be a big boon.
I think they did a fantastic job with the new initiative system! I think they got the best of both worlds, maintaining everyone having their own initiative but also allowing you to do simultaneous moves or switching orders when your party members are going back to back. It allows you to do some more complex tactics but at the same time also ensures that you must think on your feet as each tactical situation will be different considering that the turn order may or may not give you these back to back situations!
Originally Posted by TheRedDragon
I think they did a fantastic job with the new initiative system! I think they got the best of both worlds, maintaining everyone having their own initiative but also allowing you to do simultaneous moves or switching orders when your party members are going back to back. It allows you to do some more complex tactics but at the same time also ensures that you must think on your feet as each tactical situation will be different considering that the turn order may or may not give you these back to back situations!

How is it best of "both worlds"? There are no two worlds here. Only one world - one combat system. People who like that get what they want, while those who don't like it don't get what they want. I want simultaneous movement and controlling my party however I want. I DO NOT get that from this system. You are being completely disingenuous in trying to claim that those of us who don't like this system are still somehow, magically, getting what we want.
Sounds nice that you can play with 2, 3, 4, with IA, etc. in MP It would come in handy if someone has to leave or the net goes down here, as usual.

That kind of cool hybrid system would allow some pretty crazy stunts in Mp: Taunt the guys with one player, flank with the other and then a zero strike together if we are side by side.

Also it seems darkvision became a very important feature if you are playing a rogue or some sneaky character, for players and enemies alike.

Originally Posted by kanisatha

How is it best of "both worlds"? There are no two worlds here. Only one world - one combat system. People who like that get what they want, while those who don't like it don't get what they want. I want simultaneous movement and controlling my party however I want. I DO NOT get that from this system. You are being completely disingenuous in trying to claim that those of us who don't like this system are still somehow, magically, getting what we want.

You claim to not know why people single you out for your opposition to TB, but you constantly go out of your way to make it an issue when that isn’t what is being discussed. You also put words in people’s mouths, in this case accusing somebody of insincerity in a claim they never made or implied.

Just doing you a favor: this is why people single you out.
Originally Posted by _Vic_
Sounds nice that you can play with 2, 3, 4, with IA, etc. in MP It would come in handy if someone has to leave or the net goes down here, as usual.

That kind of cool hybrid system would allow some pretty crazy stunts in Mp: Taunt the guys with one player, flank with the other and then a zero strike together if we are side by side.

Also it seems darkvision became a very important feature if you are playing a rogue or some sneaky character, for players and enemies alike.

Looking forward to Darkvision! I like how there seems to be two aspects of it, the game mechanics, such as aiding in seeing obscured enemies as well as also helping darkvision characters under our control see better for the extra immersion.

Originally Posted by Warlocke

You claim to not know why people single you out for your opposition to TB, but you constantly go out of your way to make it an issue when that isn’t what is being discussed. You also put words in people’s mouths, in this case accusing somebody of insincerity in a claim they never made or implied.

Thanks for responding to the previous poster Warlocke and may your search for hidden knowledge increase your magical prowess. smile

Thanks for responding to the previous poster Warlocke and may your search for hidden knowledge increase your magical prowess. smile

As Lord Cthulhu wills it, it shall be so.

Oh I know exactly why certain people single me out. Someone being a jerk towards me is not exactly difficult to figure out.
It looks amazing about lights but I'm really conflicted with the idea of a button to turn everything into TB.
It looks so easy to avoid traps or ennemies with that system... I think it's gonna be so easy to start nearly every single fight with a crit in the back of moving ennemies.

I could understand a pause so you can take your time, choose the right moment and move with accuracy but here doesn't it look like a cheat ?
What do you think about it ?

I hope they'll change the field of view because we can see moving things on a way larger angle than what we saw in the gameplay videos.
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
It looks amazing about lights but I'm really conflicted with the idea of a button to turn everything into TB.
It looks so easy to avoid traps or ennemies with that system... I think it's gonna be so easy to start nearly every single fight with a crit in the back of moving ennemies.

I could understand a pause so you can take your time, choose the right moment and move with accuracy but here doesn't it look like a cheat ?

I hope they'll change the field of view because we can see moving things on a way larger angle than what we saw in the gameplay videos.

I think they will balance the encounters to take advantage & disadvantages into account - agree with you this looks like a great take on the stealth system & the TB piece is just a way they are trying to bring some aspects easier in table top gameplay to a computer game - you have to applaud them for all the mechanics they are bringing into this game.
Guys, you know where the TB discussion is. It doesn't need to be in every topic.

Edit: okay, I admit it hasn't turned into "that" discussion yet. And hopefully it won't. :p
Originally Posted by Tarorn
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

I think they will balance the encounters to take advantage & disadvantages into account - agree with you this looks like a great take on the stealth system & the TB piece is just a way they are trying to bring some aspects easier in table top gameplay to a computer game - you have to applaud them for all the mechanics they are bringing into this game.

I think the option to go into TB for several seconds would be great to fine-tune in case of puzzles, ambushes or for some rogue works. The more they give info about how the stealth system works, the more I like it.
With a robust thievery system It would be great if they make a revival of the old "Thieve´s guild" missions. Kinda miss them.
Warlock , Devil sight, Darkness spell. Should be an intersting combo.
Shadow monk who can turn invisible as an action and teleport as a bonus action in dim light or darkness without using ki points is gonna be a fun class.
Some of this is highlighting features we have already seen in gameplay ( choosing to switch to TB mode outside combat, and the move from party-based to individual initiative ).

I definitely like that the lighting and shadows are dynamic; in the first gameplay it looked like it might be pre-baked. Stealth looks a lot more viable now, which might provide some interesting opportunities for traditional role-play elements ( e.g. slip past potential enemies, steal keys, open alternative safer routes etc ). Depends how it's used.

Pleased to see attention to speeding up combat ( shortening animations and overlapping turns where possible ), as that is my main concern with TB combat. Also interesting to see that the MP mode has the option to play short-handed by having party members AI controlled.

Extending this AI option to SP mode such that you can turn AI on/off for each character ( maybe via a button on each portrait ) would be welcome, as it would allow you to choose how much or how little control you want to apply, depending on your RP preferences, and possibly the current situation. In extremis, if that is not implemented, I suppose one can play MP with just one player to get an AI party smile
In this interview with Edouard Imbert, senior designer there´s an interesting answer :
Edouard Imbert translated interview

Can fights be avoided by using social skills?
Yes. All the fights that Sven did [Editor's note: in the version shown to the press], could have been avoided. There is none that was essential. Each time, there is a dialogue: that's something new. It's a big evolution for us since DOS 1. In this game, you had monsters; they were aggressive so as soon as they saw you, they attacked you. It is something that we no longer do or if we do, it is extremely rare. Without exaggerating, you can avoid everything. You can talk, lie or just hide each time. There is no fight that you have to do.

Sounds like roguelike tactics and stealth could be feasible to bypass many enemies of the game, so maybe it could be possible to play an entire run of the game using those tactics.

The way he phrased it kinda remembered me the V:TM bloodlines game, where you can achieve your objectives not only fighting, but using your social skills, cunning tactics or stealth. That sounds like a great approach that I look forward to.

In this interview with Edouard Imbert, senior designer there´s an interesting answer :
Edouard Imbert translated interview

Can fights be avoided by using social skills?
Yes. All the fights that Sven did [Editor's note: in the version shown to the press], could have been avoided. There is none that was essential. Each time, there is a dialogue: that's something new. It's a big evolution for us since DOS 1. In this game, you had monsters; they were aggressive so as soon as they saw you, they attacked you. It is something that we no longer do or if we do, it is extremely rare. Without exaggerating, you can avoid everything. You can talk, lie or just hide each time. There is no fight that you have to do.

Sounds like roguelike tactics and stealth could be feasible to bypass many enemies of the game, so maybe it could be possible to play an entire run of the game using those tactics.

The way he phrased it kinda remembered me the V:TM bloodlines game, where you can achieve your objectives not only fighting, but using your social skills, cunning tactics or stealth. That sounds like a great approach that I look forward to.

Yes this is exactly the interview I myself have been referencing in various threads here. If all of this ends up being how the game works, and keeping in mind this interview is from way back in February, then it can be okay for someone like me. I can use skills checks to avoid many combat encounters, even reloading the game to win the check as necessary, and for those encounters I can't avoid I can lower the difficulty to Story Mode (which is also implied in the interview as something the game will have). But it still means the game is not a great game if I have to do all this to avoid a big chunk of the game.
That's a very unlike BG design, but a one I approve of (I think).
Sounds exactly what you want from a RPG, plenty of choice. I'm glad to see Larian are evolving and improving their games; not everyone is.
The ability to a diplomatic play through sounds great. And yeah, not very BG2 like but the inability to avoid violence was an important part of the BG 1&2 plot . Try as you might you couldn't avoid leaving a trail of bodies behind you . . . Violence doesn't seem as integral to the BG3 plot . . .
And I think being able to go through without being murder-hobos is a great thing for an RPG, and something I missed in BG1/2.
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
And yeah, not very BG2 like but the inability to avoid violence was an important part of the BG 1&2 plot . Try as you might you couldn't avoid leaving a trail of bodies behind you . . .

smile yup, I have always seen it as a clever way of marrying gameplay loop (a lot of murder and rapid raise in power) with themes and story of the game. Honestly, while Bioware weren’t the most Roleplaying RPG makers, that is something they were really good at - be it BG, KOTOR or Jade Empire. In all those gameplay loops are tied to our character arc.

That’s something that didn’t work in PoEs - the story and tone they were telling were at odds with powerfantasy of the gameplay.
Originally Posted by neongreg
And I think being able to go through without being murder-hobos is a great thing for an RPG, and something I missed in BG1/2.

Will be interesting how they are going to balance xp that way. Also slightly hopes that BG3 won't be as strictly level-gated as DOS is. Also, playing a rogue may for once be super awesome.

Outside of combat-heavy dungeon crawls and the like, I've oft been annoyed that NPCs would just aggro on you the moment they set sight on you. That makes sense depending on the NPC (party is caught traveling by a bunch of crazies or is attacked by wild beast), but else it's oft wasted potential.

Casually replaying BG2 on and off for a couple weeks already, and I've only now realized how much of a dungeon crawl/combat heavy game this was in general, in particular the middle section. Throne Of Bhaal I didn't rate very highly back then (and I like Icewind Dale).

This may be very un-BG-like, but sounds all the more advanced for it.
I hope it's a milestone based xp, as that would make it balanced for lots of different approaches. Also I think the significantly slower leveling will help with the level-gating. At least I hope, cause that was pretty annoying.

Yes this is exactly the interview I myself have been referencing in various threads here. If all of this ends up being how the game works, and keeping in mind this interview is from way back in February, then it can be okay for someone like me. I can use skills checks to avoid many combat encounters, even reloading the game to win the check as necessary, and for those encounters I can't avoid I can lower the difficulty to Story Mode (which is also implied in the interview as something the game will have). But it still means the game is not a great game if I have to do all this to avoid a big chunk of the game.

I mean if this is the case, what are still hoping to do?
Just see the Story, because you could watch YouTube playthrough for that.

If you think a game is poor, surely the best thing to do is not buy it. You’ve consistently stated your dissatisfaction at the design of this game as is being presented to you, and that’s fine. I’m just curious why anyone would still pay for it?

Im still very much looking forward to it (not that I don’t have different personal reservations) and I guess we will hopefully both see more on the 18th.
Originally Posted by Riandor
I mean if this is the case, what are still hoping to do?
Just see the Story, because you could watch YouTube playthrough for that.

If you think a game is poor, surely the best thing to do is not buy it. You’ve consistently stated your dissatisfaction at the design of this game as is being presented to you, and that’s fine. I’m just curious why anyone would still pay for it?

Im still very much looking forward to it (not that I don’t have different personal reservations) and I guess we will hopefully both see more on the 18th.

Depends on the game.

I like Total War games for the campaign play, and have bought them all. I almost never play the actual RT battles because they are not interesting for me; I might play one or two in a campaign when getting a good outcome is particularly important.

That game gives you a way to auto-resolve every battle, at the cost of not getting as good an outcome. Of course you can also use negotiation and diplomacy, stealth and assassination etc to avoid the battles occuring in the first place.

Similarly, I like many RPGs, so long as there is enough in them to allow me to choose what to do and what not to do. BG1/2 were particularly combat heavy, which I'm less interested in, but their combat didn't really need much attention or time, so I was OK with that.

If BG3 allows one to choose a path through doing more interesting things than combat ( at least, most of the time - I'm not expecting every combat to be avoidable ), then the game otherwise looks very promising.

The fact that we air these views means that at least Larian get to hear them, and choose whether they want to react to them. If you have personal reservations for the game, perhaps you should also discuss them, rather than leave it to chance?
Originally Posted by etonbears

The fact that we air these views means that at least Larian get to hear them, and choose whether they want to react to them. If you have personal reservations for the game, perhaps you should also discuss them, rather than leave it to chance?

Apologies, realized I had forgotten to actually quote who my post was replying to.

I actually have aired my views on the development of this game.
Some of those minor quibbles of mine have even already been addressed, hence why I’m actually pretty positive about this game and am looking forward to it.

Other nitpicks, or thoughts I have are things like over the top animations on Jump or Shove, the look of the UI (in relation to previous BG games) and whether or not I will enjoy TB combat (I do in xcom and it looks ok here too).

With regards to stealth, I’ve never been one for rogues usually because in previous games it usually just made sense to me at least, to have fighter-esque characters mixed with healer and dps wizard and blast everything and everyone. Usually because stealth is fiddly and when playing solo in RT it’s easy to mess up and rarely worth the hassle.

Here in BG3 it looks interesting and the TB aspect has the ability in my view to enhance this, especially if playing solo.

In the end the best thing is choice. Choice to play situations how you want to and that should be at the core of any RPG, especially a D&D game.

What I was questioning was the odd member here who are more actively against the design decisions and who will likely want to skip as much as possible if anything to do with the mechanics just to what, say the played it? Because it’s part of the BG franchise so sod they’ll suck it up? Again free to do as one chooses, just curious.

Apologies, realized I had forgotten to actually quote who my post was replying to.

I actually have aired my views on the development of this game.
Some of those minor quibbles of mine have even already been addressed, hence why I’m actually pretty positive about this game and am looking forward to it.

Other nitpicks, or thoughts I have are things like over the top animations on Jump or Shove, the look of the UI (in relation to previous BG games) and whether or not I will enjoy TB combat (I do in xcom and it looks ok here too).

With regards to stealth, I’ve never been one for rogues usually because in previous games it usually just made sense to me at least, to have fighter-esque characters mixed with healer and dps wizard and blast everything and everyone. Usually because stealth is fiddly and when playing solo in RT it’s easy to mess up and rarely worth the hassle.

Here in BG3 it looks interesting and the TB aspect has the ability in my view to enhance this, especially if playing solo.

In the end the best thing is choice. Choice to play situations how you want to and that should be at the core of any RPG, especially a D&D game.

What I was questioning was the odd member here who are more actively against the design decisions and who will likely want to skip as much as possible if anything to do with the mechanics just to what, say the played it? Because it’s part of the BG franchise so sod they’ll suck it up? Again free to do as one chooses, just curious.

Sometimes arguments can become a little self-perpetuating and emotive, particularly when there are really no objective truths to call upon smile

Although I prefer RT control in videogames, I'm happy with any other mechanism if designed well, particularly if there is good reason for it. As you say, the XCOM games worked surprisingly well; D:OS, not so much, so I still have reservations about BG3 combat, some of which may be addressed.

It's interesting to hear your opinions on stealth and player choice, as those very much mirror my views. I usually end up with a rogue just for their unique skills with traps/locks ( and as an archer ), since in most games their stealth is not really of much value. It feels like stealth may actually be useful in BG3, and also seem that Larian are considering player choice in a way that was not very evident in Original Sin.

I am optimistic that BG3 will be a game worth playing, so long as Larian keep the SP videogame audience in mind as well as their loyal MP following.

Yes I am very active here even though I don't like the game in its current form, and in my case the odds are more likely that in the end I will NOT play this game, because it is this specific game: BG3. There are many of us who have long wanted to play a new RPG that is D&D and/or Forgotten Realms and/or part of the old BG franchise (depending on which of these is the most important for that person). So unhappiness and disappointment and even anger are very reasonable and understandable emotions for some people to have. I don't have a single post in this forum ever criticizing the D:OS games, because I simply did not care about those games. But this game is different, and uniquely so, precisely because it carries the title BG3. The situation would also be very different if D&D/FR-based games were being constantly made right and left. Then, one game not being to one's liking would be no big deal. But WotC has been extremely stingy with giving out the license for D&D games to be made, so this game could literally be the ONLY D&D/FR RPG we get for the next twenty years.

Yes I am very active here even though I don't like the game in its current form, and in my case the odds are more likely that in the end I will NOT play this game, because it is this specific game: BG3. There are many of us who have long wanted to play a new RPG that is D&D and/or Forgotten Realms and/or part of the old BG franchise (depending on which of these is the most important for that person). So unhappiness and disappointment and even anger are very reasonable and understandable emotions for some people to have. I don't have a single post in this forum ever criticizing the D:OS games, because I simply did not care about those games. But this game is different, and uniquely so, precisely because it carries the title BG3. .

¿You do not have a single post in this forum criticizing the D:OS games?

Please, tell me more, I´m eager to see what´s next

http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=655061#Post655061
I consider the D:OS games to be complete shit. I don't even agree that they qualify as true RPGs. And all the so-called "innovative" elements in those games are trite, superficial crap to me. So for me, it is incumbent upon Larian to prove to me they know what they're doing in making BG3 'cause I have not drunk the Larian Kool-Aid.

Yes I am very active here even though I don't like the game in its current form, and in my case the odds are more likely that in the end I will NOT play this game, because it is this specific game: BG3. There are many of us who have long wanted to play a new RPG that is D&D and/or Forgotten Realms and/or part of the old BG franchise (depending on which of these is the most important for that person). So unhappiness and disappointment and even anger are very reasonable and understandable emotions for some people to have. I don't have a single post in this forum ever criticizing the D:OS games, because I simply did not care about those games. But this game is different, and uniquely so, precisely because it carries the title BG3. .

I consider the D:OS games to be complete shit. I don't even agree that they qualify as true RPGs. And all the so-called "innovative" elements in those games are trite, superficial crap to me. So for me, it is incumbent upon Larian to prove to me they know what they're doing in making BG3 'cause I have not drunk the Larian Kool-Aid.

But that was in this BG3 subforum, in response to people saying they wanted BG3 to be just like D:OS. My point was that when the D:OS games were being made, I did not go to the D:OS subforums and post criticisms of those games.
Kanisatha, would you have liked what they a doing with BG3, or at least given it a chance if it was called, say, Forgotten Realms instead?
Originally Posted by Gt27mustang
Kanisatha, would you have liked what they a doing with BG3, or at least given it a chance if it was called, say, Forgotten Realms instead?

Well first of all, I'm still keeping my mind open to eventually liking this game. So that path is not closed off my any means at this point. But to your question, yes I would've been a whole lot less critical of various game design choices that I disagree with if this were a completely new IP. Still D&D 5e, still set in the FR, but not part of any already-existing game franchise. It's why even though SCL was not a particularly well-made game, I still ended up at least okay with, and bought it and played it, because it was its own game and not a part of some other franchise that I loved.

But that was in this BG3 subforum, in response to people saying they wanted BG3 to be just like D:OS. My point was that when the D:OS games were being made, I did not go to the D:OS subforums and post criticisms of those games.

Not even close to what was discussed in the "Ragin debate: RtwP vs TB" thread in previous posts. They were discussing Tabletop games and game mechanics of the endless debate until you post one of your "colourful" posts. Link´s there. You can check.

Not even close to what was discussed in the "Ragin debate: RtwP vs TB" thread in previous posts. They were discussing Tabletop games and game mechanics of the endless debate until you post one of your "colourful" posts. Link´s there. You can check.

So yes. In the BG3 subforum in a discussion about liking/disliking BG3.

I was hoping you had just misunderstood my (current) post. But clearly it is your intent here to be disingenuous and to misrepresent me. It's unfortunate you've chosen to take it there.
Clearly you do not need me for that.
Kanisatha, you're just a troll. Every one of your comments, basically, is trolling. You've already condemned a game that hasn't even hit Early Access. A game that is not finished. You literally just said you probably aren't going to play this game, " I don't like the game in its current form, and in my case the odds are more likely that in the end I will NOT play this game". So why in the NINE HELLS are you STILL here commenting and spewing your vile all over this WIP game? Just leave, goodness.
No, kanisatha is not a troll. He has a strong resentment to the obvious changes from earlier BG games ( as was the case with FO3 for those that loved FO1/2 ), and is conflicted as to whether the game can be something he will enjoy; that does not make a person a troll.

The game will be different from BG1/2, and it will be different from D:OS1/2; but as you point out, we have not seen enough to know exactly how good or bad the experience will be. I'm leaning on the side of playing the game, but I will look for neutral review sources/streams of EA gameplay before deciding.
You can freely express your opinions and resentment in a polite manner (or not) and to do that you do not need to use a despective way and name-calling others with expressions like "cheerleaders" "nerds" "bootlickers" "trolls" and stuff like that.

-Just saying-
No, kanisatha is not a troll. He has a strong resentment to the obvious changes from earlier BG games ( as was the case with FO3 for those that loved FO1/2 ), and is conflicted as to whether the game can be something he will enjoy; that does not make a person a troll.

The game will be different from BG1/2, and it will be different from D:OS1/2; but as you point out, we have not seen enough to know exactly how good or bad the experience will be. I'm leaning on the side of playing the game, but I will look for neutral review sources/streams of EA gameplay before deciding.

Thanks! How FO1&2 fans felt about FO3 is indeed a perfect example of how I feel.

In my many years of experience on the Internet, people make vile, unsubstantiated accusations against other people generally are trying to make up for being guilty of the very things they accuse others of. I couldn't care less about such people, and they surely aren't going to get me to stop posting or to leave.
You can freely express your opinions and resentment in a polite manner (or not) and to do that you do not need to use a despective way and name-calling others with expressions like "cheerleaders" "nerds" "bootlickers" "trolls" and stuff like that.

-Just saying-

Interesting that you had to add "trolls" to your list of insults 6 hours after your original post, after realising that your attempt to have a dig at me didn't actually relate to the preceeding posts.

For the avoidance of doubt, I do not ever intentionally *give* offense to people online. If you choose to *take* offense at anything I say you are free to query my intention, discuss use of, and understanding of, the English language ( slippery at the best of times ), or post emotional incoherent rants about me, which I shall, of course, ignore.

Snide comments, such as the above, really do not reflect well upon you.

-Just saying-

Interesting that you had to add "trolls" to your list of insults 6 hours after your original post, after realising that your attempt to have a dig at me didn't actually relate to the preceeding posts.

For the avoidance of doubt, I do not ever intentionally *give* offense to people online. If you choose to *take* offense at anything I say you are free to query my intention, discuss use of, and understanding of, the English language ( slippery at the best of times ), or post emotional incoherent rants about me, which I shall, of course, ignore.

Snide comments, such as the above, really do not reflect well upon you.

Wasn´t for you man XD There´s a post of @deathridge with a name-calling troll just above and several times in the forums in other threads.

I found funny that you feel the post is about you. It´s good to have such a strong self-steem I supposse. You think you could be included in that too?

Of course. How could I possibly mistake your intent.
It´s good to have a strong ego, son, keep working on it XDD
You are transparent. By all means keep digging, if you wish.
Eton, really? I was talking about some particular posts from some users. I do not know of any post of yours calling somebody "cheerleaders" or "trolls" but I know some posts of a well-known forumite calling people "Bg3 cheerleaders" or "You're a troll so nothing you have to say matters." that´s why I included " troll" in the post.

But if you feel you could also be included in that regard... well...
You are transparent. By all means keep digging, if you wish.

Yeah Eton, it’s pretty clear whom Vic was talking about and it wasn’t you, man. Go easy.
This was amazing, we were discussing toxic practices and a random guy comes from nowhere in "triggered" mode and just identifies himself as a toxic forumite. All by himself

Gotta love this forum. laugh
@etonbears is not now nor has ever been a toxic forumite. The real toxic individuals are easily identified, specifically those who attack other posters just because they don't agree with those posters' views, try to label those posters as trolls, and demand that those posters leave the forum.

-Just saying-

I noted this as well. Good on you for pointing it out.
It's really quite amazing how someone can come into a game developer's forum, make hundreds of posts calling all their previous games shit, calling the current game they are working on shit, and saying they're not likely to buy it (because it's shit), dismissing people who don't hate the game as "fanboi's", and, with a straight face, say that the actual toxic users are other people.

A remarkable example of doublethink.
as remarkable as saying with a straight face "BG3 and DOS2 are completely different".
Originally Posted by Stabbey
It's really quite amazing how someone can come into a game developer's forum, make hundreds of posts calling all their previous games shit, calling the current game they are working on shit, and saying they're not likely to buy it (because it's shit), dismissing people who don't hate the game as "fanboi's", and, with a straight face, say that the actual toxic users are other people.

A remarkable example of doublethink.

Don’t forget continuously trying to derail unrelated conversations with their own personal pet grievance / fixation and then play the victim card when called out on it. 🙃

Honestly though, it’s better to just ignore them.
You can try, but they seem to keep coming, barging into threads and topics unrelated so they could be noticed...

@etonbears is not now nor has ever been a toxic forumite. The real toxic individuals are easily identified, specifically those who attack other posters just because they don't agree with those posters' views, try to label those posters as trolls, and demand that those posters leave the forum.

Hey, nobody said he is, besides himself thinking that a post about toxic practices was about him XDD. I think now it´s pretty clear that the post prior his outburst wasn´t about him.

And yeah, I agree. Those who attack other posters just because they don't agree with those posters' views, try to label those posters as trolls, they could be easily identified.

http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=669924#Post669924
Originally Posted by Stabbey
It leaves you where you were always going to end up. Not purchasing a game which you hate everything about.

You're a troll so nothing you have to say matters.

If I'm a troll for calling out Kanisatha as a troll, then fine I'm a troll. I can accept that. But I would challenge anyone to go back and compare our opinions, both good and bad, of this game; a game this isn't even released as Early Access yet. And then come and try and tell me that I am the troll in this scenario. I've voiced my negative opinions in mature ways, like the past-tense speak and team-based initiative before the changes. I've not read yet a single mature critique from K, it's literally all "it's shit and nothings going to change and i probably won't play it". Yet he comes back day after day to shit on a game that ISN'T EVEN RELEASED YET all the while saying its a game he isn't even going to play. That is the definition of a troll.
According to The Cambridge dictionary (I think I prefer this one) I do not think you qualify, deathridge.

troll noun [C] (CREATURE)

-an imaginary, either very large or very small creature in traditional Scandinavian stories, that has magical powers and lives in mountains or caves

troll noun [C] (COMPUTING)

-someone who leaves an intentionally annoying or offensive message on the internet, in order to upset someone or to get attention or cause trouble
-a message that someone leaves on the internet that is intended to annoy people:
A well-constructed troll will provoke irate or confused responses from flamers and newbies.

Unless you´re secretly a Scandinavian cave dwarf.
Originally Posted by deathidge
If I'm a troll for calling out Kanisatha as a troll, then fine I'm a troll. I can accept that. But I would challenge anyone to go back and compare our opinions, both good and bad, of this game; a game this isn't even released as Early Access yet. And then come and try and tell me that I am the troll in this scenario. I've voiced my negative opinions in mature ways, like the past-tense speak and team-based initiative before the changes. I've not read yet a single mature critique from K, it's literally all "it's shit and nothings going to change and i probably won't play it". Yet he comes back day after day to shit on a game that ISN'T EVEN RELEASED YET all the while saying its a game he isn't even going to play. That is the definition of a troll.

I wish I could up vote this.
Originally Posted by deathidge
If I'm a troll for calling out Kanisatha as a troll, then fine I'm a troll.

Good. Now that that's settled, we can all move on.

Honestly though, it’s better to just ignore them.

Finally something we can agree on. Clearly we have nothing to say to each other, so do ignore me and I will happily do the same of all of you looking to drive out of this forum anyone who dares to be a critic of this game.
My distaste for _Vic_'s comments about politeness stem from similarity of particular wording to some hostile posts in another thread a few days ago, and a failure to engage in conciliation when offered.

Unlike in some other places, no-one on this forum fits the description of a troll, as someone making posts to deliberately antagonise others for that purpose alone. We are possibly all guilty of over-zealous advancement of our interests in the game, and what we consider our rights.

We know this is an expensive game to make, so for everyone to get what they would like from the game, it needs to be financially successful enough to continue adding new features, at the very least to the point where the playing community can add their own.

We also already know what the game looks like in general terms, whether we consider that good or ill. If we actually want our discussions to be helpful to Larian, it is probably better to focus on discussing how the features we have seen can appeal to the widest audience possible. Larian will decide which features, if any, are worth adding, not us.
My distaste for _Vic_'s comments about politeness stem from similarity of particular wording to some hostile posts in another thread a few days ago, and a failure to engage in conciliation when offered.

Unlike in some other places, no-one on this forum fits the description of a troll, as someone making posts to deliberately antagonise others for that purpose alone. We are possibly all guilty of over-zealous advancement of our interests in the game, and what we consider our rights.

We know this is an expensive game to make, so for everyone to get what they would like from the game, it needs to be financially successful enough to continue adding new features, at the very least to the point where the playing community can add their own.

We also already know what the game looks like in general terms, whether we consider that good or ill. If we actually want our discussions to be helpful to Larian, it is probably better to focus on discussing how the features we have seen can appeal to the widest audience possible. Larian will decide which features, if any, are worth adding, not us.

Well said.
That's quite a lot of stabbing. Have all you guys rolled rogues or something?
Why is the whole community update thread about forum members complaining about other forum members? It was an update on game combat, not verbal combat on their forum.
You can try, but they seem to keep coming, barging into threads and topics unrelated so they could be noticed...

Oh yeah, totally. The problem is that engaging with them only results in them posting even more. They aren’t willing to or aren’t intellectually capable of having good faith discussions, so there isn’t anything that will come from directly adddressing them other than acrimony. If they want to be trolls on this forum, I think it best to just let them be until they lose interest, which will happen eventually.

Case and point, I just got accused of, or at least lumped in with people who are trying to drive out dissenting opinions. I’ve never done that nor would I ever. Literally all I did to the guy to start this was say that he was acting entitled and then point out where he was putting words in people’s mouths, but if somebody has a siege mentality and a victim complex there isn’t much you can say to them to convince them that they aren’t being persecuted.
I recommend we ditch the who said what and who killed who and re-focus the discussion into combat and stealth.

I for one am quite curious how the multiplayer aspects of stealth will feel in practice with those free roaming and others stealthing with tb movements. So far we have seen SP character switching, which tk be fair is probably 99% of what I will end up doing but hopefully I’ll get some MP play as well and thus me wondering how it will feel (I can obviously imagine how it works).

Hopefully the Early Access will allow us to test this.
I for one am quite curious how the multiplayer aspects of stealth will feel in practice with those free roaming and others stealthing with tb movements.

From what I understand triggering TB will put everyone within radius into TB as well. So coop players will use seperate systems (one in real time roaming another in TB stealth) only if they are in different places.
The gameplay also showed that when one character enters combat the others can still move and do stuff if they´re away. When the characters come near a combat, they seem to automatically enter combat.
So I assume that would be the same in MP.
Originally Posted by Blade238
Why is the whole community update thread about forum members complaining about other forum members? It was an update on game combat, not verbal combat on their forum.

LMFAO.
I just hope the D&D system won't allow stealth to be as exploitable as it is in so many other games.

© Larian Studios forums