Larian Studios
Posted By: Qoray PLEASE fix devils sight & darkness - 26/12/22 12:02 PM
Please, please, please do not forget to fix devils sight (and some of the other broken warlock invocations and features).

It is SUCH an integral part of warlock gameplay, but it does not work at all at the moment. Darkness should also not block ranged attacks, I can still shoot into the cloud, even if I can not see EXACTLY where the enemy is. It should give disadvantage to attackers, and advantage for the warlock with devils sight.

Posted By: Qoray Re: PLEASE fix devils sight & darkness - 26/12/22 12:53 PM
Oh, another thing that needs to be fixed is casting darkness on objects.
In tabletop, darkness is not just a stationary effect, you can cast it on an object and then move the effect.

Cast it on your person, and you can take the darkness with you, centered on you, for the entire duration. That way it can be used for more than one fight or you can reposition yourself in the fight and still benefit from the spell
Posted By: Qoray Re: PLEASE fix devils sight & darkness - 26/12/22 12:54 PM
"Magical darkness spreads from a point you choose within range to fill a 15-foot-radius sphere for the duration. The darkness spreads around corners. A creature with darkvision can't see through this darkness, and nonmagical light can't illuminate it.

If the point you choose is on an object you are holding or one that isn't being worn or carried, the darkness emanates from the object and moves with it. Completely covering the source of the darkness with an opaque object, such as a bowl or a helm, blocks the darkness.

If any of this spell's area overlaps with an area of light created by a spell of 2nd level or lower, the spell that created the light is dispelled."
+1
Funny enough, I was about to share this video here as well! You beat me to it ^^

Originally Posted by Qoray
In tabletop, darkness is not just a stationary effect, you can cast it on an object and then move the effect.

+1!
So, players should be able to cast on the ground (like currently), or on an object, which they have the coding for that already with the Light cantrip.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PLEASE fix devils sight & darkness - 26/12/22 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Qoray

Cast it on your person, and you can take the darkness with you, centered on you, for the entire duration. That way it can be used for more than one fight or you can reposition yourself in the fight and still benefit from the spell

In one of the mods you can cast it on your person or on the ground.

As it is now, I it works nicely as a ranged attack sanctuary, in a pinch.

Of course...fireball!
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: PLEASE fix devils sight & darkness - 26/12/22 05:57 PM
+1
Posted By: Kind_Flayer Re: PLEASE fix devils sight & darkness - 26/12/22 09:05 PM
There are a lot of problems relating to magical darkness (and possibly fog cloud?). The patch 9 AI seemingly only attacks you in magical darkness if they can get in melee range without being blinded. If all of your party members are deep within the darkness, the enemy NPCs just stand around and do nothing.

It is a 5E issue, but I hope that the “blackness” aspect to Hunger of Hadar will be treated as magical darkness in BG3, when magical darkness gets fixed. As it is, Hunger of Hadar is quite underwhelming compared to other 3rd level spells and I think it is confusing to have the “blackness” treated differently from “darkness”.
Posted By: Ferros Re: PLEASE fix devils sight & darkness - 26/12/22 09:38 PM
+1
Posted By: gaymer Re: PLEASE fix devils sight & darkness - 26/12/22 09:54 PM
Yeah, well it shouldn't be that hard to code Darkness sight for ranged attacks. It already exist for melee.
Posted By: Eyebreaker Re: PLEASE fix devils sight & darkness - 26/12/22 09:57 PM
Has it also intentionally been changed so that we can no longer hide inside a darkness spell or is this a bug? All I seem to get is the game telling me that I am blinded and it wont let me use the hide command/ability inside the darkness.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: PLEASE fix devils sight & darkness - 27/12/22 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by gaymer
Yeah, well it shouldn't be that hard to code Darkness sight for ranged attacks. It already exist for melee.
The problem is, that in order to make Darkness function as it should, its behaving as a wall ...
Now they need to figure out how to make this invocation make it work as if its not there at all. laugh

Wich would most likely be easier way to fix it imho ...
Implement bypass over whole darkness function, for characters with Devils sight.
Posted By: Lastman Re: PLEASE fix devils sight & darkness - 27/12/22 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by gaymer
The problem is, that in order to make Darkness function as it should, its behaving as a wall ...
Now they need to figure out how to make this invocation make it work as if its not there at all. laugh

Wich would most likely be easier way to fix it imho ...
Implement bypass over whole darkness function, for characters with Devils sight.
well they made evade difficulty terrain for the feat. That ignores Aoe that gives difficulty terrain buff the question is can they do the same for aiming...

Character should treat darkness as if it was normal fog and combin that with blindness removal same way they remove difficulty terrain debuff from a character.
Posted By: RagnarokCzD Re: PLEASE fix devils sight & darkness - 27/12/22 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Lastman
well they made evade difficulty terrain for the feat. That ignores Aoe that gives difficulty terrain buff the question is can they do the same for aiming...
Nah, there is difference ...

Difficiulty terain just gives you debuff ... in order to bypass you just need to make your character ignore that debuff ... exactly as Blinded condition from Darkness is removed if you have this invocation.
Jut debuff gone and you are fine. smile

The problem here isnt debuff itself ...
Its that system-wise you are unable to shoot into, or out of Darkness (or Fog Mist, and probably other simmilar spells if there are any) bcs its border acts like a wall.
And if you would want to fix this ... you would need to somehow make it for Warlock character that this Darkness is not there at all. So that "wall" blocking your attacks would disapear.

It still feels buged to me tho ...
I mean, the whole usage of Darkness or Mist is weird ... i would say that both spells need serious rework ...
Right now, IF this invocation would work, our Warlock would become practicaly invincible ... nothing can target him, and he can target anything. :-/

I cant help but feel like every target (or at least hostile targets) should become invisible inside the fog/darkness ... we should be able to randomly attack and hope for hit (with Disadvantage) ... aswell as they should be able to shoot out (with Disadvantage ofc) ...

Then Devil's Sight would allow us still see our enemies AND it would remove disadvantage.
Posted By: Lastman Re: PLEASE fix devils sight & darkness - 27/12/22 03:24 PM
well as far as i know you can shoot and throw things into and out of normal fog spell, at least i could... But yeah not sure if AI could target AoE properly they have problems as is, without the fog. smile How it stands there and going hmmm?!? all the time can be a problem...
© Larian Studios forums