Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#808302 18/02/22 08:41 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I just wonder if this is some kind of bug on my side ...
So far i traveled through crypt, grove, goblin camp and selune temple ... what puzzles me is that i had "situational" advantage on every single intimidation roll i made. O_o

Is there any explanation for that in rules?

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 18/02/22 08:41 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
M
M
I was really glad to see situational advantage appear for checks (as a DM I always use situational bonuses/penalties during our sessions and players really like it as it can reward/give consequence of their choices and encourage creative thinking) beyond stat bonuses but I also found it strange to see that appear for all intimidations, might be a bug.
It would be nice and make more sense if the UI could refer to the specific situation we get the advantage (or disadvantage) for, little like Disco elysium details that you get bonuses/penalties because of X,Y.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I just wonder if this is some kind of bug on my side ...
So far i traveled through crypt, grove, goblin camp and selune temple ... what puzzles me is that i had "situational" advantage on every single intimidation roll i made. O_o
Cause you are a barbarian, and barbs are scary savages? I think you get advantage of its (barbarian)(intimidation) option.

veteran
veteran
Giving Advantage on every (barb)(intimidation) option, aside from being a bit OP and nonsensical (At the very least, why do Barbs get this bonus even if they're not raging? Plus it's not really a "situational" advantage if it's always applied), is once again repeating the same mistakes/issues Larian has had giving other things constant Advantage - it significantly hampers our ability to further buff those options. Guidance will help a bit, sure, but any spell/ability that gives Advantage on charisma checks is now ~useless for a Barbarian.

If Larian really wants the Barbarian to be good at intimidation checks, they should do one of:
- a.) Allow Barbarians to make intimidation checks with Strength instead of Charisma.
- b.) Give all Barbarians expertise (2x proficiency) in Intimidation checks.

Doing either of these will allow players to retain all the normal options to further buff Barb Intimidation checks through Advantage/other.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
If Larian really wants the Barbarian to be good at intimidation checks, they should do one of:
- a.) Allow Barbarians to make intimidation checks with Strength instead of Charisma.

Doing either of these will allow players to retain all the normal options to further buff Barb Intimidation checks through Advantage/other.
Agree on both ...
and i would add:
- c.) Give Barbarians fix bonus (+1 or +2) for being Berserker ... just as you did with High Ground, Larian ... remember how happy people were?

I mean perma advantage may seem like fun on paper, but actualy its quite boring. :-/
Im not even happy about those sucessfull rolls, since they are given so freely. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 18/02/22 02:22 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Typical Larian going too far with the latest thing.

Why couldn't a Fighter be just as intimidating as a Barbarian? Lae'zel, a green alien from who knows where in Githyanki gear, just as strong but definitely more unknown and menacing. I'd be more afraid of that than some basic Ragnar or Rollo from Icewind Dale.

Originally Posted by mrfuji3

Much better than a senseless Advantage. Being a Barbarian is not a situational advantage unless the target is afraid of Barbarians specifically because they raided her village and killed everyone 20 years ago. Better DM'ing please, Larian!

Last edited by 1varangian; 18/02/22 02:27 PM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard