Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#812946 04/04/22 06:57 PM
Byrne20 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi all, my laptop has the below specifications. I’ve checked a couple of the ‘can I run it’ sites and the results are a bit mixed. One of them says I run the game fine in high settings while another says I need to upgrade my GPU and CPU lol I suspect it’s just a marketing thing. Anyone know if the below will be ok? Don’t wanna buy if it’s not gonna run.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX processor
AMD Radeon RX 6800M 12GB graphics
16 GB ram

I expect it would run but as I say, I am getting mixed results from those annoying ‘can I run it’ sites. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Byrne20; 04/04/22 07:03 PM.
H
stranger
stranger
H
Should work fine.
Either way, if you buy in steam you should be able to refund so you can try it.

Hoot #812956 04/04/22 09:33 PM
Byrne20 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks. I am feel pretty new to PC/Laptop gaming so apologies for my ignorance. The last time I had a decent PC was around 1998 when BG1 came out lol

Last edited by Byrne20; 04/04/22 09:37 PM.
Hoot #812963 04/04/22 11:05 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Hoot
Should work fine.
Either way, if you buy in steam you should be able to refund so you can try it.
Importantly, make sure to speed through character creation and get to gameplay as quickly as possible. Steam only guarantees refunds with < 2 hours of playtime, and I've often heard stories where people create their characters/do the tutorial for that time and then can't get a refund.

Byrne20 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Great tip. Thank you 🙂

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Importantly, make sure to speed through character creation and get to gameplay as quickly as possible. Steam only guarantees refunds with < 2 hours of playtime, and I've often heard stories where people create their characters/do the tutorial for that time and then can't get a refund.
If you put Steam in offline mode while playing then the hours played aren't tracked, pretty sure you can still get a refund. Could be wrong though.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Refunds on Steam? I had no idea such a thing exists.

Go to GOG, they are accepting refunds for the entirety of EA + 1 month after full release. Gabe would go bankrupt if he would try to match that.

That's good to know. I went to GoG, and I stopped being able to launch the game when Grimforge came out... Sadly, if I cannot find a way to get it to launch, I may end up having to take advantage of that refund offer.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Did you use mods at any point in time? They often leave some leftover files or folders that screw the game when new patch comes out. Check this support article from Larian on how to deal with it.

I had similar issues back in a day, when game crashed on start, or soon after. Switching to DirectX instead of Vulkan helped. Updating video drivers also might help.

I had forgotten that I had tried a couple of mods way way back. I have deleted them as far as I can possibly tell in as many places as I could think to look for them and done a full uninstall and reinstall. Still getting the failed to create GUI error.

EDIT: Found the Error!

After all of that, I downloaded, purchased, and ran a registry cleaner. I actually was running it when I posted the unedited version of this post. It appears that I had some stuff left over that looks like it belonged to or somehow referenced a previous patch version. I let it clean the dead links and viola! It works now!

Last edited by The_BlauerDragon; 07/04/22 01:19 PM. Reason: Additional detail
enthusiast
enthusiast
I5-4670k
...is a bit under the required CPU,
but game runs between 25 FPS - 70 and up to capped 120 FPS ( in menus).
Depending on how much items and NPCs are in the area.

RTX 2060 6GB
16GB Ram
4TB SSD Samsung Evo 870

Byrne20 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by TheHero
I5-4670k
...is a bit under the required CPU,
but game runs between 25 FPS - 70 and up to capped 120 FPS ( in menus).
Depending on how much items and NPCs are in the area.

RTX 2060 6GB
16GB Ram
4TB SSD Samsung Evo 870

That’s quite an old processor isn’t it?

Byrne20 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Update - I’ve been playing the game using my laptop with the specs I mentioned at the start of the thread and so far it runs pretty well. I’ve been running it at 1440p on nearly maxed out settings. I’m getting about 60FPS off of it as an average. It seems pretty stable.

Link Copied to Clipboard