Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
stranger
stranger
P
I'm having a nigthmare, I can't save. I tried many alternatives but always the game crash.

New game in patch 8, 2 players. I'm the server owner.
Tried:
- overwrite
- new game
- wrtie the save game name
- use the default save game name
- Disconnect the other player before saving
- Use direct X 11 instead of vulkan
- go to the camp to force the autosave (selecting the food)

Some times saves, most of the times don't and the game crash.

It started happening after killing the undeads in the DANK CRYPT, but before opening the sarcofagus with the talking undead.

I've detected that the cloud save stay saving and don't finish while I'm playing, and only is finish after the crash.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Is it creating a Temp directory under Baldur's Gate folder?

M
stranger
stranger
M
Hey All,

Me again,

What works for me. (Teifling, Barbarian)

1. Travel to Silvanus's Cove
2. Then Travel to Camp
3. Do not use the storage chest
4. Do not open your inventory at all.
5. Do not speak to anyone.
6. Only use a full rest pack, no food.

If this does not work for some reason swapping in-between Vulkan and DirectX 11 makes it work.

Nothing is 100% proven, but no crashes since.

This has worked for me multiple times, I have now gotten as far as clearing the entire goblin camp and killing Ragzlin.

Last edited by Moose; 10/07/22 06:36 PM.
T
stranger
stranger
T
I got my first crash during the video sequence on the mind flayer ship. After this I get a crash randomly whenever I am saving, usually on the second to third try, it seemingly does not matter if it is auto, quick or regular.
What I have found is that savegame files seem to go missing after a crash, at least if they are made shortly before the one where your game crashes, which seems odd.
I can not tie these crashes to any kind of event or anything, really don't see any connection there so far.

Trying to run the game with Vulkan/Dx11 does not change anything as far as I can tell, running as admin doesn't do anything either.
I did a manual install of Vulkan drivers but instead of fixing something I got a crash just by changing things in the options menu. Switching between Vulkan/DirectX does fix the issue until the next time it's saving.

That is all I found so far.

P
stranger
stranger
P
no, just saving in the game

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Similar crash upon save here.

I thought the issue was tied to messing about with the inventory. My guess was that backpacks within the inventory (which I use to sort potions, keys, scrolls etc...) are so bugged that you can place things into them but will crash the game upon save if you retrieved those items. Reading this thread shows I'm probably wrong, but there's definitely an issue with saving.

Had to restart a run 23 hours into playing with the bard because the game won't save at all. Thank god for the addition of gnomes to make the 2nd run interesting.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
M
stranger
stranger
M
I was having the same issue as you where it creates the temp folder with images and no saved game. This obviously isn't the most ideal fix but I disabled steam cloud saves and deleted all my saves and character profiles from my local files and I can now save my game. Had to start fresh but at least I can play now.

P
stranger
stranger
P
Im getting random crashes to desktop when saving and losing a lot of data/time in the process also. There's no discernible cause or pattern, none of the above is similar to mine. I hope this can be hotfixed since its hampering my ability to play.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I just received an email back from Larian support and they claim they have found the cause of the crash and are working on eliminating it for a future update. No time frame given but at least they think they've found the issue.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by Midas93
I just received an email back from Larian support and they claim they have found the cause of the crash and are working on eliminating it for a future update. No time frame given but at least they think they've found the issue.

Same! I filed a bug, sent them save games and dumps and told them how to reproduce and they contacted me today saying they identified it and "the team has found a cause for the game crashing when saving and this should be fixed in a future hotfix".

P
stranger
stranger
P
Just tried four overwrite saves over the last hour and all OK, went to camp, made a new save, bam, back to desktop.

P
stranger
stranger
P
Originally Posted by MacAllen
Originally Posted by Midas93

Same! I filed a bug, sent them save games and dumps and told them how to reproduce and they contacted me today saying they identified it and "the team has found a cause for the game crashing when saving and this should be fixed in a future hotfix".
Oh thanks for posting, saves a few people some time to do the same. Thats good news at least.

old hand
old hand
If it matters, about two nights ago, I had been getting weird warnings about how the game was detecting corrupted data or something in my save files upon loading them, and that continuing on those files wasn't recommended. Haven't really played since then to see if it would have led to any crashing.

I suspect the reason why I'm avoiding the crashes described in this thread might be something related to how my graphics card drivers actually haven't been updated since last year.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 11/07/22 06:27 PM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Also from Larian on my ticket:

"I'm not sure if the fix will resolve the issue for existing save files, there is also no current ETA when the fix will be released."

So those of us who are stuck may need to start over. C'est la vie

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I've got it triggering with talking to Mattis (the tiefling kid vendor). Seems ot happen regardless of what happens, just talk to him and then try to save, it falls over. I think it might be related to how the inventory is interacting with merchants or something, because it happens when I begin trading and then try to save after

T
stranger
stranger
T
Mine also appears to be related to merchants. I can talk to NPCs, open my inventory, go anywhere or enter combat then save just fine, but as soon as I go into the trade/barter screen and exit, even without actually trading anything, saving will cause a crash every time. I've tried with every vendor in the druid grove and all have the same effect. I've cleared my LevelCache folder, switched engines and disabled cloud saves, all with no effect on the result.

stranger
stranger
Maybe this will help someone. I had 3 speed potions in my inventory, after which you fall into lethargy, one of them was bugged (any action with it, stacking, selling or drinking) led to save crashes. I just threw it out of inventory and the crashes stopped. So the crashes in the camp when using food are probably due to the fact that one item is bugged.

veteran
veteran
For what is worth: I played for a bit without experiencing any notable amount of crashes (a random one few hours back but that was pretty much it), then as I reached the goblin camp I started to have systematic, 100% repeatable crashes at EVRY attempt to save my game. Both with quicksave and manual.

UPDATE: I tried to reload the last working save and progress forward hoping that the next autosave would be immune to this issue.
I basically cleaned half of the temple, killed Gut, went to the underdark, explored the opening area, tried to reach the mushrooms, attempted to save "just to be safe" because I forgot for a moment about the issue and... Guess what? The game crashed again, no autosave was made at any point in the time I did all the aforementioned stuff and I was back the the last working save I mentioned.

Yeah, I think I'm done with this patch at this point.

Last edited by Tuco; 12/07/22 10:31 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
W
stranger
stranger
W
Game crashes every time a "new game save" is being done. This happened in the last 5 attempts to save the game. Defeat a bandit of gnolls? Sure awesome, lets save it -> CRASH

Game at least for me is pretty much unplayable due to this. Please fix the most basic functionalities which is the auto-save and save game.

UPDATE: It looks like it has to do with the Gnolls/Cave zone starting from points (x:25,Y:565). Going back to the initial spot and doing an overwrite saved seemed to work, albeit the behavior seems inconsistent overall.

Last edited by Wooferius; 12/07/22 02:41 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard