Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Know it's been mentioned before but pleaaaase implement ready actions, and dodge actions.... and a freaking proper reaction system. Reactions CANNOT just be left to chance, we need to be able to control that stuff.

old hand
old hand
I have already said much about reactions, but the potential downsides simply don’t apply to ready actions at all, and I’ve already had instances in the latest patch where I really wish I had ready actions.

An omission of ready actions will point to engine limitations rather than a conscious choice to leave them out.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Ready would definitely be great to have, although I can see as to why, even if the engine were to allow them, they'd be left out - the Larian's approach to combat heavily emphasises doing something every turn rather than turtling around, so Ready being there would be to the detriment of that philosophy.

Dodge, though? It can stay gone, honestly. It basically lets you (and the enemy) to stall, missing all the time and having to use alternative tools just to land hits consistently on an otherwise relatively hittable target. Plus, since most combat arenas are quite open, and the AI is not as braindead as it is in Solasta (where 20+ AC and Dodge mean that you can have your fighter just indefinitely hold enemies on them), it might not have too much utility, all things considered.

Last edited by Brainer; 12/07/22 01:13 PM.
veteran
Online Content
veteran
There isn't a single sensible argument to not implement both.

Even in a dreadful worst case scenario where Larian would decide that reactions are perfectly fine as they are now, there would be virtually no downside to implement both Ready action nor dodge.

That said, on a personal note I'm not particularly concerned about the latter, even if I can see it turning situationally useful. I can't see myself choosing too often to pass a turn just to get a defensive buff, generally speaking.

Last edited by Tuco; 11/07/22 11:12 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I really freaking hope they give the OPTION at least to control your reactions, for those of us who like to have control over our characters resources.

M
M
+1 Dodge, Ready Actions and proper Reactions are the 3 core things im waiting for Larian to implement, fingers crossed

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Bump

veteran
veteran
+1 to the OP.

There are several threads where people suggest "if we cannot get proper reactions (or something else) they should change x instead".

No, there is a solution, it works, its written in the PHB and it works in several computer games.
In Solasta I never had a problem to answer "Do you want to use AoO/shield/counterspell/etc now?"
You have to select tons of stuff anyway.
I like to have full control over what my chars are doing.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:

Link Copied to Clipboard