Next Thread
Print Thread
B
beargor Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
So I'm a big druid fan and one of the main appeals is the class' ability to use 'control magic' and create difficult terrain with spells such as entangle, spike growth, web, sleet storm, etc.. But, unfortunately with the way BG3 is currently set up, difficult terrain is nearly unnoticeable for players and enemies.

This is mostly due to the jump ability. Jumping is not affected by the difficult terrain condition, so if for example someone were to cast spike growth right underneath someone, they would just jump out of the terrain without taking damage or having their movement restricted. Normally in 5e this wouldn't be a problem because most characters standing jump is 5 ft., but BG3 has made jump's distance quite a bit larger (I'm not here to complain about that specifically, but more how Larian could implement some changes so difficult terrain isn't rendered as useless as it is now).

So here are some solutions I propose:

1. Apply the RAW D&D Rule
"When you land in Difficult Terrain, you must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to land on your feet. Otherwise, you land prone.”
This could cause issues due to Larian's engine seemingly having inherited DOS’ mechanic of prone causing your turn to end. Though, this is just an opportunity to address that mechanic and remove / fix it since it doesn't work in the D&D system (why do I lose my turn if I slipped after walking 5 ft. on ice, while still having my action, BA, and 25 ft. of movement left?)

2a. Disable Jump While Inside Difficult Terrain
As said above, jump's distance is tuned up quite an incredible amount in BG3, being even further than a running jump (in 5e) but itself being a standing jump. To counteract this fact, I believe jumping should altogether be disabled while in difficult terrain to better emulate it's strength as seen in tabletop (I don't want to argue about perfect 5e integration, but I think this is one the scenarios where Larian's changes affects some important parts of the game).

2b. Greatly Reduce Jumps Distance Inside Difficult Terrain
Similarly to how it is reduced by light encumbrance.

3. Make All Terrains Apply Their Effects When Jumping Into Them
Currently, grease, entangle, and web make characters roll their save when jumping into them. Unfortunately spike growth has been left out and enemies can jumping around inside without taking any damage.

As a side note, I've noticed this jumping problem mostly with humanoid characters / enemies. Against enemies like the hyenas / gnolls, spike growth and other control spells worked nicely. For release as well, I'd hope Larian would account for their monsters unique movement options (I can see this problem reoccurring with 'fly' abilities and sleet storm)

Last edited by beargor; 19/07/22 08:47 AM.
veteran
veteran
+1

I think #1, #2b, and #3 should all apply. Unless Larian *doesn't* fix prone, in which case...it should be #1 OR #3, and #2b.

old hand
old hand
+1

2b + 3

Others may get upset about "shove", but I think "jump" is a lot worse. DnD meets Disney's gummy bears... You can jump with a full inventory without getting exhausted...

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 19/07/22 03:13 PM.
addict
addict
I'll provide a great, insightful contribution to this thread and say ... +1. Or +100. I agree. (Not that I think that agreeing on issues make them more likely to be addressed, but whatever.)

More than the suggestions (which sound good), I agree with the problems :
  •  difficult terrain spells don't feel very impactful, and
  •  this is due in good part to Jump being over the top.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Your suggestion could lead to shove being abused even harder then it already is. We seen from DOS2 how creating a ice surface and chain teleporting enemies into it to permanent stun lock cycle with 4 airomancers was busted beyond belief.

Here every char can shove, so it would be even worse then ddos2 as there is no cool down on shove.

Ideally we would remove difficult terrain in the first place. I always found this a bad gimmic. You should be playing smart, not using difficult terrain to cover for sloppy position and poor decisions [yes not everyone uses it this way. But I find it is used to easily as a cheat card]

addict
addict
It sounds as if the problems here are more the facts that Shove has a ridiculous shoving distance and that it only costs a Bonus Action.

Originally Posted by AusarViled
Ideally we would remove difficult terrain in the first place. I always found this a bad gimmic. You should be playing smart, not using difficult terrain to cover for sloppy position and poor decisions [yes not everyone uses it this way. But I find it is used to easily as a cheat card]

In 5E, there are legitimate, RAW, no-homebrew-needed shenanigans to set up difficult terrain and exploit it. (Incidentally, the Dungeon Dudes made a video about this recently.)

Just like summoning an army of creatures to fight for you, I feel this is a legitimate style of play. (Of course, you probably won't summon a super large army in 5E, as I think most summoning spells require Concentration. But unlike in BG3, you can have more than one summoned creature.)

B
beargor Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I don't see why my suggestions would make shove even more abusable. Currently in BG3 you already CAN shove people into ice surfaces (or basically any other surface) and have their effect be applied. I was just suggesting spike growth have it's effect be enabled on jumps since it seems to be left out. Also ice surfaces in BG3 are way less abusable since prone only causes you to lose half movement instead of your entire turn like in DOS (at least when you are given the prone status when it is not your turn, like being shove into ice).

Also for removing difficult terrain.. I don't even know what to say.

veteran
veteran
+1 all sound like good suggestions. 1 + 2b + 3 would be my preference.

Link Copied to Clipboard