Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
This is a bug that has been in Patch 7 and unfortunately is also present in Patch 8.

If Lump The Enlightened is convinced to work for the main character and gives [Lump's Horn] to the player, this triggers a bug with the 3 ogres which causes them to instantly de-spawn mid-combat whenever they become hostile towards the player.

Example:

• Player convinces the ogres to work for them and receives the horn
  • Player uses the horn to summon them
  • The ogres spawn in and begin a conversation (if nobody is around or after everyone is dead)
  • Choosing not to honor the deal, failing a skill check or directly attacking them turns them hostile and initiates combat
  • The combat starts and the ogres de-spawn one by one mid-combat after a couple of turns

This is a bug, as they shouldn't be de-spawning mid-combat.

Right now the only way to avoid this bug with the intent of killing them, is to summon them against another enemy and kill them during combat while they're still friendly, as they won't de-spawn as long as they're friendly and in combat.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Here is a video of the issue, showcasing how they despawn mid-combat;

Doesn't matter whether they're convinced to fight for gold or meat, every dialogue outcome in which they become hostile will cause the bug and de-spawn them mid-combat after a few turns.

old hand
old hand
Yep, that's what happened to me, too. They disappeared one by one. This can even be seen in the TB queue.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A second problem is that as a Berserker including intimidation, you can force the Ogres into your service once for free. However, this possibility is only opened if you a) start the initial conversation with the Berserker and b) talk about it without interruption by refusal.

If you have previously approached the Ogres with another custom character / class, for example, and the main conversation was conducted in such a way that the recruitment was rejected, you have the option of approaching the Ogres again with other characters. However, if one does so subsequently with the Berserker, this specific conversation option is missing.

In other dialogues (except always at the very first sentence dialogue start, e.g. as a Bard at the mirror in the Necroapothecary's basement) such a thing is possible, but not here. Please change this in favor of group cohesion when playing with custom parties.

Initial conversation with Berserker dialog option during the course of the conversation.

Follow-up conversation without Berserker dialog option after previously refusing to recruit the Ogres.

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 16/01/23 09:10 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Unfortunately this is still very much an issue with the full release, nothing was done about it.

They're still despawning if they become hostile after the player convinces the ogres to fight for the main character and summons them by sounding the horn. Choosing the option I Don't Have The Money or simply attacking them will despawn them mid-combat after a couple of turns.

Here's the full release version of the bug;

old hand
old hand

Still persistent. Even if you manage to kill them, you won't get any XP out of it...

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 26/08/23 05:38 AM.
F
stranger
stranger
F
Is this planned to be fixed at some point in the future? I'm hesitating to use those ogre now because I want to kill them after the fight and get the circlet.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Well I've officially sent them a bug report during Early Access and I've officially sent them a bug report now in full release. Both times with videos, full detailed explanations and save files. So lets hope they do or I just wasted my time for nothing grin

Until they fix it though you can summon them in battle and have them killed by NPCs or simply talk to them and then kill them right after the fight, as they won't regenerate HP automatically. They despawn after 2 turns, so that's enough time to kill them.

Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus
Still persistent. Even if you manage to kill them, you won't get any XP out of it...

Pretty sure they're not supposed to grant any XP since it's granted as a part of the Persuade/Deceive solution. In full release peaceful solutions give full XP that NPCs would normally give by killing them. A major positive I say ^^

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Crimsomrider
Well I've officially sent them a bug report during Early Access and I've officially sent them a bug report now in full release. Both times with videos, full detailed explanations and save files. So lets hope they do or I just wasted my time for nothing grin

Until they fix it though you can summon them in battle and have them killed by NPCs or simply talk to them and then kill them right after the fight, as they won't regenerate HP automatically. They despawn after 2 turns, so that's enough time to kill them.

Pretty sure they're not supposed to grant any XP since it's granted as a part of the Persuade/Deceive solution. In full release peaceful solutions give full XP that NPCs would normally give by killing them. A major positive I say ^^

That you get XP for peaceful solutions, I also find good. But in general there should be XP for both ways, here especially if you decide to kill the Ogres. My Tiefling companion has a problem with watching them eat an innocent fellow Tiefling in front of him... I don't even remember if I got XP for deceiving / hiring the Ogres. On the other hand, Larians info logs are crap. For example, if I get gold as a reward, I don't see anywhere how much that was....

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 29/08/23 07:41 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I don't even remember if I got XP for deceiving / hiring the Ogres.

You have, it grants the same XP as killing them. I always check myself to make sure the XP gained from peaceful solutions is the same as the one through combat, so there is no XP being missed in this instance.

• If you persuaded/deceived them, then you get their XP immediately and killing them after that point won't give any.
  • If you decide not to persuade/deceive and instead attack them then you'll get the XP upon killing them.

Link Copied to Clipboard