Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Like Shield. I'd probably set Shield to trigger automatic whenever my wizard would be hit and it would save him from taking damage, at least at lower levels when HP is low. I don't need a prompt at that point because casting Shield would save his life. I'm going to cast it every time because he has low HP. Later, I might turn it off or set it to prompt because he has more HP and I might not want to waste the slot.
This will use your spell slot. sometimes it's better to take the hit

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by C0rath
Like Shield. I'd probably set Shield to trigger automatic whenever my wizard would be hit and it would save him from taking damage, at least at lower levels when HP is low. I don't need a prompt at that point because casting Shield would save his life. I'm going to cast it every time because he has low HP. Later, I might turn it off or set it to prompt because he has more HP and I might not want to waste the slot.

Yeah, I know sometimes it's better to take the hit. The point is that presets can manage it for you. Are you sure you don't want the spell to be cast because you really don't want it to use your spell slot and you'd rather take the hit? Turn it off on your turn. Maybe you're facing goblins and such who do minimal damage. Yeah. Turn it off. You don't need to waste the slot.

But what if you're fighting phase spiders and you REALLY don't want to get hit by them. No question. You REALLY don't want to get hit. Turn on Shield, and if a phase spider rolls well enough to hit you but not well enough so that if you cast Shield it'll miss, boom. Spell triggers automatically. No prompt needed.

But what if you're just not sure? What if you don't know whether in this particular battle you will want to cast Shield or not? Turn on Prompt. Now, any time someone hits you, a prompt appears and pauses combat.

Three simple presets:

On = Yes. I'm absolutely sure that in this battle I will ALWAYS want my Reaction to trigger as soon as someone triggers it.

Off = No. I'm absolutely sure that in this battle I will NEVER want my Reaction to trigger as soon as someone triggers it.

Prompt = Hmmm. Maybe. I don't know, so the game had better prompt me because I'm just not sure.

What's the point of these 3 options? Those who don't like combat being constantly interrupted by reactions they're just going to say Absolutely Yes or Absolutely No to don't have to have combat interrupted by prompts if they don't want to. However, if you're the kind who wants prompts every time, you can turn on prompts for your reactions and have them trigger every single time. AND if you're like me, you may want the best of both worlds. You may want some reactions to trigger automatically while others trigger with prompts.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Originally Posted by C0rath

Yeah, I know sometimes it's better to take the hit. The point is that presets can manage it for you. Are you sure you don't want the spell to be cast because you really don't want it to use your spell slot and you'd rather take the hit? Turn it off on your turn. Maybe you're facing goblins and such who do minimal damage. Yeah. Turn it off. You don't need to waste the slot.

But what if you're fighting phase spiders and you REALLY don't want to get hit by them. No question. You REALLY don't want to get hit. Turn on Shield, and if a phase spider rolls well enough to hit you but not well enough so that if you cast Shield it'll miss, boom. Spell triggers automatically. No prompt needed.

But what if you're just not sure? What if you don't know whether in this particular battle you will want to cast Shield or not? Turn on Prompt. Now, any time someone hits you, a prompt appears and pauses combat.

Three simple presets:

On = Yes. I'm absolutely sure that in this battle I will ALWAYS want my Reaction to trigger as soon as someone triggers it.

Off = No. I'm absolutely sure that in this battle I will NEVER want my Reaction to trigger as soon as someone triggers it.

Prompt = Hmmm. Maybe. I don't know, so the game had better prompt me because I'm just not sure.

What's the point of these 3 options? Those who don't like combat being constantly interrupted by reactions they're just going to say Absolutely Yes or Absolutely No to don't have to have combat interrupted by prompts if they don't want to. However, if you're the kind who wants prompts every time, you can turn on prompts for your reactions and have them trigger every single time. AND if you're like me, you may want the best of both worlds. You may want some reactions to trigger automatically while others trigger with prompts.

I think the mtg arena system where you can press a button on screen to toggle pass or prompt is fine, maybe they could have an auto, though really auto is a bad idea since you only get one reaction, and reactions often use resources.

addict
addict
Well, sorry to brake this fantasy bubble but the only reason prompts works in Solasta is because it's a singleplayer game only.

It's one thing to have one player controling the party but it's totally different beast to have multiple people with their own character have reactions on the same event in the game. All sorts of conflicts and errors can happen.
IF they remove multiplayer, sure we can have prompts np. But untill that happens no go.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Lastman
Well, sorry to brake this fantasy bubble but the only reason prompts works in Solasta is because it's a singleplayer game only.
Technically reactions are like prompts in tabletop... and tabletop is multiplayer... so...

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Technically reactions are like prompts in tabletop... and tabletop is multiplayer... so...
yeah but PC is not a real time DM...different rules apply.

Last edited by Lastman; 24/08/22 05:28 AM.
veteran
veteran

And also, it's not -it has full multiplayer now, and it works great.

apprentice
apprentice
wrong. Solasta has been multiplayer (up to 4 ) for months now and the pop up reactions work just fine......

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ghost214
wrong. Solasta has been multiplayer (up to 4 ) for months now and the pop up reactions work just fine......
Hm interesting i guess i gonna heve to test it out..What happens if two people have a reaction on the same event? Can you cast spells as reactions ?

Last edited by Lastman; 24/08/22 05:49 AM.
veteran
veteran
If I recall from the last time I played multiplayer, Each player that controls a character that has a reaction available and appropriate at a particular trigger gets a prompt; if one player controls multiple characters with appropriate available reactions for the trigger, then they are all displayed in the same box. Each player makes their choice, while, at the bottom of the screen, the turn notifications denote that the other player is considering a reaction, until all choices are input (in real time, in multiplayer games I've played, this takes less than a second to go through the vast majority of the time, and has no impact on the feeling of turn progression compared to other elements, such as simply watching other players or enemies take their turns), at which point they all play out.

Reactions triggered by movement take into account the creature's entire planned movement - so if it would trigger one when it starts to move, and another ten feet away, it doesn't pause the game twice - only once for both. If the second reaction proves unnecessary (because the creature is killed by the first, for example) the reaction isn't consumed.

old hand
old hand
Hm interesting i guess i gonna heve to test it out..what happend if you two people have a reaction on the same event?
…Good question. I actually haven’t witnessed this situation in my multiplayer run. It probably depends on exactly which reaction it is.

I think there’s only three situations where multiple people can trigger the same reaction.

1 and 2) Attacks of Opportunity against the same enemy and two people with Uncanny Dodge being hit by an AoE attack (not sure the latter situation currently exists in Solasta). I think the game waits for all triggering players to either use the reaction or pass, since that’s how it works in single player.

3) Counterspell. I assume if multiple players try to counterspell the same enemy spell, the player with higher initiative or the one closest to the enemy gets to attempt to counter first, and the other players try if the first attempt fails. I don’t know if the other players end up with losing their reaction for the turn and spell slots if they don’t have to use it after all though.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 24/08/22 01:35 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Niara
If I recall from the last time I played multiplayer, Each player that controls a character that has a reaction available and appropriate at a particular trigger gets a prompt; if one player controls multiple characters with appropriate available reactions for the trigger, then they are all displayed in the same box. Each player makes their choice, while, at the bottom of the screen, the turn notifications denote that the other player is considering a reaction, until all choices are input (in real time, in multiplayer games I've played, this takes less than a second to go through the vast majority of the time, and has no impact on the feeling of turn progression compared to other elements, such as simply watching other players or enemies take their turns), at which point they all play out.

Reactions triggered by movement take into account the creature's entire planned movement - so if it would trigger one when it starts to move, and another ten feet away, it doesn't pause the game twice - only once for both. If the second reaction proves unnecessary (because the creature is killed by the first, for example) the reaction isn't consumed.
ow so basically there is an order and you wait for all to pick. Thx for that info looks, like i was wrong.:) That works i guess you just nullify the actions later. There is no spell casting with reactions ?

veteran
veteran
There is spellcasting with specific spell reactions, like counterspell. The game doesn't have the warcaster feat, due to their SRD limitation - so not opportunity attack casting, but you can ready action a spell; it limits you to cnatrips for that, so as to not waste resources unexpectedly or uncertainly - that is one limitation of the system there (you can't, for example, 'Ready' "Fireball, when the fourth skeleton makes it around the corner").

In terms of multiple counterspellers in the same moment, I'm not 100% certain, but the way I believe it works is that the first person to input will be the one that is ultimately used up, if multiple characters say yes, but definitely only one player's spell and reaction is consumed, however it determines it - that much I can confirm.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Niara
There is spellcasting with specific spell reactions, like counterspell. The game doesn't have the warcaster feat, due to their SRD limitation - so not opportunity attack casting, but you can ready action a spell; it limits you to cnatrips for that, so as to not waste resources unexpectedly or uncertainly - that is one limitation of the system there (you can't, for example, 'Ready' "Fireball, when the fourth skeleton makes it around the corner").

In terms of multiple counterspellers in the same moment, I'm not 100% certain, but the way I believe it works is that the first person to input will be the one that is ultimately used up, if multiple characters say yes, but definitely only one player's spell and reaction is consumed, however it determines it - that much I can confirm.
i thought so, it's not all simple but they made it work... All i can say is good job, even with limits here or there.

I don't mind prompts to tell the truth. i was sure the reason we don't have them was due to multiplayer. Looks like Larian just doesn't like prompts.

veteran
veteran
I just started another Lost Valley run, and frankly the worst perps of popups aren't reactions. They're those actions where every time you hit you can add damage to the hit. Like Smite and cleric of mischief extra damage. That is annoying. However, been through multiple battles so far and not a single reaction popup. It's still early game, mind you, but the point is that it's so far not intrusive even remotely. It's just not occurring.

I do sometimes wonder if we're swatting at gnats and making reactions more complicated than they need to be. An occasional pop-up here and there for a reaction isn't combat flow shattering.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
multiplayer and interactivity is not mutually exclusive in any way shape or form. And Solasta has multiplayer now btw

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard