Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Krom Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok first and foremost, to clarify things, this is about patch 7-8, and a weird change that happened there with plate model armors(not officially in the game yet)

As you know, plate armor exists only through mods like enhanced gear progression and maybe some others i am not aware of. They don't exist yet in game, they might be incomplete, etc etc.

So as of now, that is before patch 8, if you wore a plate armor ( normal ,+1 or +2 doesn't matter) together with the metallic boots(the only model looking like metal armor in game), you would normally see the kneecaps covering the shinguards(aka boots), as they should. Example below as seen in a youtube video showcasing the mod

[img]https://ibb.co/7S6WxzH[/img]

However, after patch 8, there is a noticeable gap between the kneecaps and the boots, like part of the kneeguard model is missing.

[img]https://ibb.co/k8v7q1k[/img]

Now, of course, this is me panicking about a potential future where the actual models of plate armors in the game have this gap, and there are no dedicated boot models that match them so it aligns correctly.

Obviously, since the only way to see this is with a mod, and the game files are missing so they could potentially be missing some parts, it is still a non issue. The only alarming thing, is that this didn't happen before, which either signals a glitch, or a change in game files. I don't know what to make for either(probably nothing at this point), but it does give an opportunity to talk about armor models like these.

And on this, there is something i wanted to stress.

In the final release of the game, i would like to see boot and gauntlet models that match the actual armors, to see some variety.

And to avoid missalignment gaps like these please :P

P.S. When most heavy armor models miss from the early access(and we've been at it for 2 years almost), we can't really provide any actual feedback about anything involving that.

Last edited by Krom; 24/09/22 09:25 AM.
veteran
veteran
Currently a lot of equipment models are not visually optimized so mix and matching causes a lot of visual errors or they simply don't look good. They either don't align properly or clip through eachother or outright have models cut off completely.

For example wearing any armor while barefoot has ankles visibly cut off, so there's a huge gap. Or the Absolute Gloves that clip through Drow armor and some others. Or Scale Armor +1 stretching its forearm leather to infinity.

I'm sure they will address this eventually once the optimization process starts for the entire game. And I hope they do because I pay a lot of attention to such miniscule details too. This is why I would also love the transmog system implemented into the game, to avoid mismatching equipment visually. One thing I dislike with RPGs is looking like a walking dumpster by not having a matching unified outfit ^^

addict
addict
The Blazer Of Benevolence (the truly magnificent, work of art, light armor❤️) has clipping issues as well with at least a couple of (maybe all) gloves.

This does not appear "live" when playing but it does appear :
- during cutscenes/conversations
- when checking inventory : certain actions seem to temporally fix this, like changing weapon, but the glitch reappears upon closing/opening the inventory tab.
- when checking for more information on the character

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Whatever made it work on the first screen, it would be nice to see it applied everywhere. Especially cutscenes where it becomes a distracting detail (well...to me at least 😁).

Krom Offline OP
OP Offline
Indeed a lot of equipment models are either missing or are incomplete. I certainly thing the glaring clipping issue will be fixed, since on live when you walk around you can't notice it.

My concern for the plate armors, is mainly because i suspect a change in game files for whatever reason. For example the githyanki half plate used to have pants, and it used to cover the boots with the knee caps as well. But on the latest patch, which is live, no mods no nothing, the armor looks slimmer, the pants are missing, your legs are bare practically, and of course the gap issue between knees and boots appears there as well.

I honestly don't know what to make of it, i fully want to believe this will be a non issue in the final release, as it wasn't up to now.

However Larian needs to know that at least we noticed this, and just to understand that they are aware. Not have the game ship and suddenly notice the same problem. Since they don't really communicate, i have no idea if this ia glitch, something else, or even if they want it like this(ok this is not the case obviously, why would they want graphical problems on the armors but whatever).

And the fact that plate armor, and heavy armor boots/gloves is completely missing from EA, i have no actual feedback to give. Just to notify someone(if they are even listening), that i discovered something that could be a problem, MAYBE.

Oh well :3

I wanna think this will be fixed obviously, it was a non issue even up to now, it just looks so wrong lol

P.S. I used to involve myself with actual armor crafting, so i have a thing for plate armors and notice things like this immediately. If this is a non issue however, and it's fixed, i have to say that the armors look quite ok proportion wise, if you bar the exaggerated shoulderguards on magical plate.

Last edited by Krom; 23/09/22 03:10 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard