Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
The CE artbook is hardcover, I believe. And that was the only reason I got the Diablo III collector edition: I wanted the artbook in my hands. laugh

SKP

Larian alumnus
Larian alumnus
Yep! A 160-page hardcover beauty of an artbook

Last edited by Nicou; 14/12/22 10:14 AM.

Retired Senior Community Manager - Baldur's Gate III & Larian Studios
Twitter Nicou
old hand
old hand
Is only something for collectors anyway, but for the sake of my curiosity: In which languages is it available? Probably, as so often, in English only?

P
stranger
stranger
P
Could not have said it better myself. At a minimum they should allow Early Access purchasers to apply the $60 they paid toward the $269 price tag so that it would be a $209 "upgrade," but the contents are not especially attractive either. Also, $269 is a really aggressive price point for a physical collector's edition, for most games it's $120-$150, maybe $199 tops. Clearly Larian did some marketing research and figured that a solid "base" of hardcore collectors would be willing to pay any price point, and that an offensively high price wouldn't affect these people (apparently their data shows there are about 25,000 such individuals).

The contents are meh. The diorama is sort of cool, but not really attractive looking, unless your decor is full of fantasy creatures and stuff it would stick out like a sore thumb. The tadpole keychain is really ugly. If used as an actual keychain the surface abrasion of keys and other objects would probably buff off the edges, turning the ugly tadpole into a strangely non-descript silver phallic object. Magic cards, 20 kids stickers, D&D sheets, the obligatory art book, all meh. Does not justify the $269 price.

But I guess the people who think like us are not the real target, we are not part of the 25,000 "will pay any price" collectors cult.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Actually, CE's are getting more expensive. Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader is being sold for $299 and Final Fantasy XVI CE is being sold for $350. Yikes. I guess it all boils down to how bad you want it. I played the original BG in 1998 when I was 17 and loved it, and BG2 was even better -- like the greatest CRPG I had ever played at that point in my life. So of course, I have the CEs of both of those games. I'm also a lifelong DnD player. So, for me, the CE of BG3 is worth it... even after having already purchased EA.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Yes sure PubisDeciusMons, Larian made us used to better!

Originally Posted by NotoriousZow
Actually, CE's are getting more expensive. Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader is being sold for $299 and Final Fantasy XVI CE is being sold for $350. Yikes. I guess it all boils down to how bad you want it. I played the original BG in 1998 when I was 17 and loved it, and BG2 was even better -- like the greatest CRPG I had ever played at that point in my life. So of course, I have the CEs of both of those games. I'm also a lifelong DnD player. So, for me, the CE of BG3 is worth it... even after having already purchased EA.
I see your point but I feel like half of the CE was especially well crafted (at least, I presume because we don't see much of the artwork book or the sides of the Diorama, by example)

Again, it feels like a great project rushed in the middle and thrown away in the air.
The CE is still not out of stock after one week, that's a surprise, or maybe not so, it totally proves my point when I opened the topic.

Anyway, I don't want to "spit" on Larian, I'm still greatly happy of the game and all their many efforts.

addict
addict
I would prefer a full set of dice with BG3 color scheme gold/dark brown, an art-work book full of lore exposition, D&D miniatures for tabletop, an extra map for BG city itself.

Something more interactive with the lore.

addict
addict
Its incredibly lack buster for over 250 but on par with what everyone offers nowadays. So that makes it OK I guess?
I would of offered more world building/lore stuff; something Larian seems to despise like Day/Night (lol):

A detailed monster/characters manual.
World guides.
Maybe a cool detailed item with some history (from a set of 12 of those!)
All kinds of maps...
A beautifully produced gold coated audio HQCD with killer art. That retro touch bringing us back to the 90s smile

Instead we get anime stickers (???????At that point I am guessing the creative director/writer is a Anime & cosplay fan), ugly pink/purple statue and keychain to match, a pointless non useful dice...WOTC / Hasbro would be proud.
Huray for the cloth map and art book! Thats all I want from that 250. On the other hand...I could pre-order an Analogue Pocket for 220...

As kids love to proudly point out these days...Don't like it, don't buy it! I most definitely won't.

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 17/12/22 03:31 AM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
S
old hand
old hand
S
To be fair, pretty much no device has a CD reader nowadays. I would take an USB key containing the songs or a free download of the OST online over a deprecated media.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by snowram
To be fair, pretty much no device has a CD reader nowadays. I would take an USB key containing the songs or a free download of the OST online over a deprecated media.

Note sure what you mean. Nearly all my friends have a CD player/Amp setup at home. Young or old. Hardly deprecated media. Yea on the go or for quick listening digital files are great! At home, kicking back, plenty of people still enjoy CDs, Vinyl etc...

Its incredibly ironic that you would say no need for physical CDs while accepting this <PHYSICAL> collectors edition package as great.
Many special edition stuff also include music CDs.

On that same note then, why even have an Art book?? How about just the PDF file then??
Or a TIFF file of that statue to display in a monitor or VR set.

I think people who buy these tend to like physical stuff? Or maybe I am mistaken. Its just for GenZ show and boasting on youtube?

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 17/12/22 08:39 AM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
D
stranger
stranger
D
The collecters edition looks really nice, but still i feel i let down by Lorian studios.
I bought the game as a early adopter, and i dont have the option to buy the collectors edition without the steam BG3 product key.
The community who early adopted the game helped Lorian to develop the game in to the direction of what most gamers like as well they pointed out bugs and other problems with the game so why isnt there a version of the collectors editions for early adopters who dont need the extra steam product key?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome

Note sure what you mean. Nearly all my friends have a CD player/Amp setup at home. Young or old. Hardly deprecated media. Yea on the go or for quick listening digital files are great! At home, kicking back, plenty of people still enjoy CDs, Vinyl etc...

Its incredibly ironic that you would say no need for physical CDs while accepting this <PHYSICAL> collectors edition package as great.

On that same note then, why even have an Art book?? How about just the PDF file then??

I think people who buy these tend to like physical stuff? Or maybe I am mistaken. Its just for GenZ show and boasting on youtube?

My last three computers did not come with an optical (CD/DVD) drive. My last physical media purchased was a blu-ray and I needed to purchase an external device to read it.

Optical drives aren't very common in new pcs and many music aficionados have gone back to vinyl.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome

yeah you're mistaken all the industry has changed , you have old habits , all pc case come without cd case , and most of the music is sold in streaming.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard