Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I am wondering if removing them is a good move. I feel it is really good for Lore noobs of DnD like me to understand what are Miindflayersin a very showing way. In addition the story was really dark and the area feels empty without them. At least I would loke to know the reasoning behind this change. It is a really good interaction gone for a reason I trouble understanding.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Yes, I'd be interested in the rationale too. Without them, the encounter with the injured mindflayer seems perfunctory, though possibly that's just in contrast. Was there something completely wrong with the lore of the scene?

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Suspicion: +80% of paladin playtesters in their closed group ended up with the broken oath state at that point, from dealing with the fishers and having some of them die due to failed checks and no fault of their own, so they doubled down on the flippant system and just removed the 'problem point'.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Make sense. But it's a bit of shame if that's the case because of all of the other possible class that would never get that issue. I understand if that's what happened though. Hope they find a way to bring it back in the future.

Last edited by Minicrom; 15/12/22 02:24 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Niara
Suspicion: +80% of paladin playtesters in their closed group ended up with the broken oath state at that point, from dealing with the fishers and having some of them die due to failed checks and no fault of their own, so they doubled down on the flippant system and just removed the 'problem point'.

Ooh, that didn't occur to me but it sounds plausible. If so, then hopefully the writers will be able to resolve the issues and give us the fishers back. Ideally along with a more nuanced representation of what it is to adhere to or break paladins' oaths, though I'm trying to reserve my judgement on how the game handles oaths until I've completed my paladin playthrough.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
journeyman
journeyman
How would that make Paladins go into broken Oath state? There is a difference between choosing to kill and trying to go for the moral option but failing the checks

addict
addict
The fact that they didn't say it was temporary worries me a bit. I do like the encounter.

A bit off-topic but reacting to a previous comment in this thread :
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
Ideally along with a more nuanced representation of what it is to adhere to or break paladins' oaths, though I'm trying to reserve my judgement on how the game handles oaths until I've completed my paladin playthrough.

Not going to lie, the way it seems to work made me loose a bit of interest in the paladin class. I do try to reserve judgement, like you, I'm not far enough in my playthrough to have an actual feel of it. Thing is, I picked Ancient oath paladin, which is not lawful (PHB : "This oath emphasizes the principles of good above any concerns of law or chaos"). But the way the game seems (so again, I need to go further in my playthrough) to represent it at the moment feels very lawful. And my brain doesn't work that way 😅 That's also why I'm not a fan of alignements in the first place (especially in a video-game vs real life where it can be discussed). It's very much up for interpretations.
We'll see how it actually goes 🙂.

veteran
veteran

That's certainly possible, but I doubt it. I imagine that each broken oath state had to be coded specifically. I doubt that there are universal tags for things like "innocent" or "lie" established. We can kill the Mindflayer, and it's laying helpless. I feel like they would have had to specifically code it, and given that, it seems like it would be easier to just not make it a broken oath trigger as opposed to removing what was a solid scene.

My theory is that someone took issue with the fact that the fishermen didn't seem to have anywhere they could reasonably come from, since the place is so far away from the nearest habitation. It's a weak theory, but it's mine.

L
addict
addict
L
The other fishermen are still there-the dead ones, they are littered all over the beach where you first land.

old hand
old hand
Yes too bad and again an inspiration goal subquest as well as a level up spot less...

journeyman
journeyman

But Oaths only come at lvl 3 so you should not have been high enough level to be able to break your oath at this point in the game.

Solasta D&Does what BG3 D&Doesn't.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Doomdrake
But Oaths only come at lvl 3 so you should not have been high enough level to be able to break your oath at this point in the game.

In BG3 patch 9, oath of devotion or oath of the ancients are selected at character creation. Not sure if this will be the same in the full release or if it's just because, with only 5 levels in EA, Larian thought delaying oaths until level 3 wouldn't give people long enough with their fully realised paladin, especially if they wanted to try breaking their oaths.

veteran
veteran
I liked those fishermen. Was a nice encounter, especially as a Drow telling them I am not looking for slaves ^^

addict
addict
Instead of improving them and make more content for a good side thing like that they remove it? What is going on. Next they gonna remove the crypt looters or something...We need more stuff like that and better not less... Upside down world for real.

Last edited by Lastman; 15/12/22 10:08 PM.
B
stranger
stranger
B
Some possible Datamining spoilers but...

I remember seeing some datamining stuff that we we're suppose to find Minsc in that area (doubt that it'll still be that way now) but I assume that area will be one of the things that changes on launch

veteran
veteran
Certainly hope so ...
Its awfully empty now

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I would like to see the fishermen return too, it was a very interesting encounter.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Something about the encounter might be bugged, and bugged in a manner they haven't fixed yet. I can't think of any other reason to remove it.

M
M
Originally Posted by Ignatius
Something about the encounter might be bugged, and bugged in a manner they haven't fixed yet. I can't think of any other reason to remove it.

Trying to think back to my Patch 8 playthrough, and if there was anything that consistently went wrong during that scene.....

veteran
veteran
Everything worked fine with that encounter, as I played it in every way imaginable and all outcomes felt finished and satisfactory. So definitely wasn't because of some issues with it as there were no issues.

Maybe they just relocated it someplace else in the game.

Link Copied to Clipboard