Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#835593 17/12/22 05:51 AM
E
OP Offline
E
This game has GOT to be meant to be a joke. I mean seriously. You get kidnapped/captured yet for some reason you STILL HAVE your equipment. Weapons, armor, res scroll, healing pots and food??????? LOL. Then there is Shadowheart and all of her fine everhelpfull input "We should check it out, but be careful". Really? Be careful? LOL. Yes you needed to tell me that because I'm to stupid to figure that out on my own. Just like the "Dead goblins. Might be worth checking for supplies" or whatever her exact words are. LMAO. Seriously needed her to point THAT out too!!! LOL. You guys actually get paid for this stuff too that's the funniest part!!

veteran
veteran
You have your equipment with you because Mindflayers do not strip you naked before putting you into a pod to be implanted with a parasite. If you haven't seen the opening cinematic, people get disintegrated when touched by the Nautiloid and then teleported inside the pod immediately to be restrained. Therefore our character has all those things because that's what they were having on them before getting abducted and the Mindflayers do not care since a person inside the pod is powerless to do anything.

Also the Mindflayers either grow into the armor or blow it off if it's too tight when they ceremorphicize.

As for what Shadowheart points out, I have no issue with it. Just companions offering some insight on a situation at hand and everyone reacts differently when put in the same situation. Also companion insight may be helpful for those who don't know what they're doing or don't know where they're supposed to go. Obviously that may not be you, but it's there for those who may need some help since plenty of players are oblivious to what's going on.

E
OP Offline
E
Ok, that makes some sense about you and your gear. But the comments are really quite ridiculous. Even if a player "doesn't know what they are doing" there is no reason they need to be told such ridiculous things. Even the dumbest player is going to figure out the obvious. Lol.
Now what about this? I JUST had this bit of conversation happen. Lae'Zel's 2 comments have NOTHING to do with each other yet they are supposed to somehow. Can someone please explain to me what I am not figuring out here? lol

hmmm, How do I insert a picture? All I see in the options is "Insert image link"?? So I can't copy/paste an image? I have to do it as a link to a website I don't have? lol. I have GOT to be missing something simple right?

Ok so the conversation was:

Gale: Tell me Lae'Zel, what is it like on the Astral Plane? Your home realm intrigues me.
Lae'Zel: Githyanki lay their eggs on other planes. They cannot mature on the Astral.
Lae'Zel: I will only be welcomed once I obtain a Mind Flayer's head.

??????? Where the heck did THAT come from? LOL.

M
M
Originally Posted by Eyebreaker
Ok, that makes some sense about you and your gear. But the comments are really quite ridiculous. Even if a player "doesn't know what they are doing" there is no reason they need to be told such ridiculous things. Even the dumbest player is going to figure out the obvious. Lol.
Now what about this? I JUST had this bit of conversation happen. Lae'Zel's 2 comments have NOTHING to do with each other yet they are supposed to somehow. Can someone please explain to me what I am not figuring out here? lol

hmmm, How do I insert a picture? All I see in the options is "Insert image link"?? So I can't copy/paste an image? I have to do it as a link to a website I don't have? lol. I have GOT to be missing something simple right?

Ok so the conversation was:

Gale: Tell me Lae'Zel, what is it like on the Astral Plane? Your home realm intrigues me.
Lae'Zel: Githyanki lay their eggs on other planes. They cannot mature on the Astral.
Lae'Zel: I will only be welcomed once I obtain a Mind Flayer's head.

??????? Where the heck did THAT come from? LOL.

Oh look, a troll who literally joined barely a month ago just to have a whinge about a game they clearly hate. Your life must be so very boring if this is the only thing you can find enjoyment in.

veteran
veteran
I'm pretty sure there's more to that conversation than just those 3 lines, as I always was fond of it. I believe Gale has an extra question that follows, but it makes perfect sense what she is saying.

The Astral Plane is a place in which time is drastically slowed down, which is why Githyanki cannot be born there and need to be laid outside of the Astral Plane in order to grow which are called creches. It's also the realm of the Gihtyanki. Since they're a highly intelligent race of warriors with a strict hierarchy where strength is respected and followed, a Githyanki has to earn their right to return to their homeworld by accomplishing a worthy feat. Such as killing a Mindflayer which is their sworn mortal enemy.

So what she says fits perfectly, as she is describing her homeworld and that she cannot return to it. Any person that actually pays attention to the story would know this, because this is all explained in the game through idle conversations and direct conversations with Lae'zel.

M
M
Originally Posted by Crimsomrider
I'm pretty sure there's more to that conversation than just those 3 lines, as I always was fond of it. I believe Gale has an extra question that follows, but it makes perfect sense what she is saying.

The Astral Plane is a place in which time is drastically slowed down, which is why Githyanki cannot be born there and need to be laid outside of the Astral Plane in order to grow which are called creches. It's also the realm of the Gihtyanki. Since they're a highly intelligent race of warriors with a strict hierarchy where strength is respected and followed, a Githyanki has to earn their right to return to their homeworld by accomplishing a worthy feat. Such as killing a Mindflayer which is their sworn mortal enemy.

So what she says fits perfectly, as she is describing her homeworld and that she cannot return to it. Any person that actually pays attention to the story would know this, because this is all explained in the game through idle conversations and direct conversations with Lae'zel.

LOL, you expect an obvious troll to be bothered with understanding the backstories of the characters? OP clearly has no clue what he's talking about, and is just looking for excuses to hate on the game....which is really sad and pathetic to be honest.

enthusiast
enthusiast
In a way, it would make sense, given how proud Lae'zel is. Basically, she's saying without saying that she knows little more about the Astral Plane than the PC asking her about it. Since she's never been there, as she would have been raised on the Material Plane, and not be allowed to join her people on the Astral until she's proven herself. Presently, she isn't 'worthy' of going there, at least by her people's standards, it must grate on her pride, especially given the circumstances she finds herself in.

Last edited by Ignatius; 17/12/22 08:51 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by MarcHicks
Originally Posted by Crimsomrider

LOL, you expect an obvious troll to be bothered with understanding the backstories of the characters? OP clearly has no clue what he's talking about, and is just looking for excuses to hate on the game....which is really sad and pathetic to be honest.

No, its just not feeding the troll.
By the way, about the Laezel's answer. I've always interpreted it as if she'd never had a chance to witness the Astral plane, because she is very young. I see it as if she'd just ended her training in one of the ctesches and then got captured by the MFs. That's why she has nothing to tell about the Astral, yet she doesn't want to say it directly, because it'd hurt her pride.

P.S. I hope this thread grows into a more constructive discussion, what a funny way to troll the troll it would be laugh

Last edited by neprostoman; 17/12/22 08:53 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Ignatius
In a way, it would make sense, given how proud Lae'zel is. Basically, she saying without saying that she knows little more about the Astral Plane than the PC asking her about it. Since she's never been there, as she would have been raised on the Material Plane, and not be allowed to join her people on the Astral until she's proven herself. Presently, she isn't 'worthy' of going there, at least by her people's standards, it must grate on her pride, especially given the circumstances she finds herself in.

Exacty!

Last edited by neprostoman; 17/12/22 08:52 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Eyebreaker
This game has GOT to be meant to be a joke. I mean seriously. You get kidnapped/captured yet for some reason you STILL HAVE your equipment. Weapons, armor, res scroll, healing pots and food??????? LOL. Then there is Shadowheart and all of her fine everhelpfull input "We should check it out, but be careful". Really? Be careful? LOL. Yes you needed to tell me that because I'm to stupid to figure that out on my own. Just like the "Dead goblins. Might be worth checking for supplies" or whatever her exact words are. LMAO. Seriously needed her to point THAT out too!!! LOL. You guys actually get paid for this stuff too that's the funniest part!!
If you think that a group of elder mind flayers, flying into an ancestral giant nautiloïd, helped with slaves totally dedicated to them, fear level 1 guys with one dagger or one short bow, you are deeply mistaken.

Also, creating a complex, deep, immersive open world game, with lots of races and classes and options is incredibly long and hard. That's a work that a full team of experienced professional might miss something sometimes, that's the point of the early access.

Complaining is easy, achieving something truely great like giving life to Baldur's Gate 3 is a whole different thing.
Did you report these things in the Bug report tool ?
What are the narrated lines you suggest for all of the things that you did not find cohesive ? We did not see that you do better.

---

Except from that, yes it's important to be cohesive, especially in RPG, but personnally I don't remember getting really horrible dialogues. Most of the time it's going great, and sometimes we are not sure where it leads but it's because we'll learn more about the characters later.

Personnally I love the narrative part, it feels like a movie... but better ! smile

Last edited by Isenthal; 17/12/22 09:34 AM.
old hand
old hand
I guess its rather pointless to try and appeal to someone's sympathy. Because very often one can't sympathize until one is put into the others shoes. The most simplified example will be the service sector. A lot of consumers think that water, food and clothes just pop up from the sky and people who work in the industry are lazy sloths. Yet one who's been there knows it is a living hell. So it is better to address the complaint directly and deconstruct them, imo.

E
OP Offline
E
Lol. I'm a troll just wanting to complain? Ok. I'm mearly wondering wtf they are talking about. The conversation didn't continue like one of you said so it's quite confusing as to her statements. Also I in NO way made ANY statement that I could do better. But now that you mention it, I could certainly do better than throwing confusing sentences together in a nonsense conversation. IF there's more to the conversation that actually makes it make some sense then cool. I certainly didn't see it during my game. I DO actually enjoy the characters talking in fact when they actually make sense. It's nice to hear about their opinions and stories. Gives them a bit of meaning. I just don't see the conversation as making sense the way it came up. One second she's talking about eggs and then she says she has to claim a mind flayer head?? I got lost. But I'm a troll. Sure.

veteran
veteran
I definitely recommend talking to Lae'zel whenever she wants to talk to you, especially by resting at the camp as it is there you will find out most about each companion. One of my favorites is how she talks about the Astral Plane and her Crèche K'liir, where she was born. An absolute gem of dialogue, I love it so much.

old hand
old hand
Maybe Eyebreaker and many others don't know the lore that well. This should not be over seen. BG 3 is not only played by veterans... Therefore Lae'zel's babbling can be quite confusing if you don't have any background knowledge.

Illithids aka Mind Flayers are so psionically powerful that they simply don't care if you come at them with a Two-handed sword +20 or whatever, because they'll just stun and / or brain control you and turn you against your fellow players (watch from 16:07 min.):

That's the main reason we keep our equipment, because the Illithids simply don't care. wink

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 17/12/22 11:21 AM.
M
M
Originally Posted by Ignatius
In a way, it would make sense, given how proud Lae'zel is. Basically, she's saying without saying that she knows little more about the Astral Plane than the PC asking her about it. Since she's never been there, as she would have been raised on the Material Plane, and not be allowed to join her people on the Astral until she's proven herself. Presently, she isn't 'worthy' of going there, at least by her people's standards, it must grate on her pride, especially given the circumstances she finds herself in.

The fact of her "unworthiness" is sort of confirmed when she encounters the Githyanki Patrol at the destroyed bridge. They clearly don't respect her and are as quick to try and kill her as the rest of the party.

M
M
Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus
Maybe Eyebreaker and many others don't know the lore that well. This should not be over seen. BG 3 is not only played by veterans... Therefore Lae'zel's babbling can be quite confusing if you don't have any background knowledge.

Illithids aka Mind Flayers are so psionically powerful that they simply don't care if you come at them with a Two-handed sword +20 or whatever, because they'll just stun and / or brain control you and turn you against your fellow players (watch from 16:07 min.):

That's the main reason we keep our equipment, because the Illithids simply don't care. wink

Beyond that, though, they probably figured you'd be fully restrained until the process of Ceremorphosis is completed....at which point you'd be no danger to them.

Link Copied to Clipboard