Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nephtu Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Ok, my Dwarf Paladin, Oath of the ancients seems to get triggered falls for highly non-obvious reasons.

Example: Goblin entry hall fight. Paladin lands the first blow, and falls. Someone else starts the ruckus, no problemo. This seems weird to me. Is that how it's supposed to work? I mean doing obviously evil stuff causes you to fall, I get that. But being the first one to smash a goblin, seriously?

Anyone have some clarification to offer?

Last edited by Nephtu; 29/12/22 11:48 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Volunteer Moderator
Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
No, no rationale. The oath breaking/keeping logic in this first paladin release is wonky in the extreme. I’d just recommend adding your thoughts to one of the existing paladin oath threads and hopefully Larian will review these and take on board for the full game.

E.g. https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=838755

Or https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=837719

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Did you happen to reload a save with the combat already in-progress?

addict
addict
The way 5e describes this oath, I would expect any unprovoked attack by such a paladin to break their oath. Oath of the Ancients paladins are supposed to represent good and light, showing mercy and forgiveness ( etc, etc ). Defending against attacks is fine, but initiating combat is arguably wrong as this subclass.

If the goblins initiated combat, but you got the first blow due to initiative, that would be a bug if it triggered oathbreaker, in my opinion.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard