Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
The Gobblins that ambush you at the edge of the blighted village attacked me. When I won the fight, I got the oath breaker warning. Reloaded. Did the exact same thing and didn't get the oath breaker. "I see you there" "Funny same thing" both times.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
There are a few threads already talking about oath-breaking oddities, eg:

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=840643
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=840104
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=840051

With respect to getting different results each time you played the encounter, it’s a known issue that a paladin’s oath is only broken when striking the final blow against an NPC and even then perhaps only when they are slain with the main attack rather than divine smite or other non-weapon damage.

Not that killing goblins that attack you should break the oath in any circumstances, but that might explain the fact your oath didn’t break the second time. And the fact that mine didn’t break in this same encounter, despite attacking the goblins. I’m not sure, as it happened before I realised how weirdly oath breaking could act.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
S
old hand
old hand
S
I'm still questioning whether this is a bug, or an attempt at railroading (not killing all the goblins before Wyll's quest).

J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
I've recreated this. Go up the rocks south of the village entrance. For me, the party will split, and one of the other characters will meet the goblins first (Gale in the first playthrough, that annoying elf in the third.)

veteran
veteran
the best one is when the mace drives you mad and you kill under the spells effect... sorry Pally you done fucked up

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Ussnorway
the best one is when the mace drives you mad and you kill under the spells effect... sorry Pally you done fucked up

Well, for a paladin to equip such a weapon knowing its effects seems like gross negligence when it comes to potential impact on innocent bystanders, so I think I could agree with this one. Any responsible paladin should avoid making themselves such a danger to others.

Now if they equipped the weapon without knowing what it did, that would be a different matter!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
So if the weapon didn't used to work that way?

And I'm cool with pally not being entirely 'fair'

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.

Link Copied to Clipboard