Next Thread
Print Thread
#841513 17/01/23 01:47 AM
T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
I am sure this has been discussed, I just couldn't find anything on (an admittedly quick) search.

I recently started playing a game and, after adding 3 members to my group, I found a fourth that I wanted active. At the point where I was going to have them join, they merely commented that they would be waiting at the camp. I then went to the camp and tried to reform my party. After several frustrating minutes, including a point where I exited camp only to find out that I wasn't prompted to form my party I finally did an internet search. While I ultimately got my party the way I wanted, it was very far from intuitive.

Other games, Baldur's gate 1-2 included, offered a dialogue box upon this type of situation happening giving the player immediate agency in who was in the party. Further, you didn't have to rest to make it happen. Pathfinder also allows you to select who comprises your party every time you leave the hub. For my two cents, I would like to see either or both of these methods added to the game. The current method isn't 'hard', but it is very clunky and not very intuitive (to me).

Also, is the party cap really going to be left at 4 members? Or is that just the current built for balance purposes? My personal preference would be 5-6 like we see in most other D&D style games.

Volunteer Moderator
Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
I agree that it would be good to have a quicker, more intuitive way to reconfigure our party, but I guess you've now worked out that you can speak to any of your current party members and ask them to leave (which will have them go to camp and wait if you're not already there) then speak to the party member you want to join you.

In terms of party size, my understanding is that four tends to be what D&D 5e campaigns are balanced around, and my expectation is that this will remain the default for BG3. I like this, but not everyone does.

You can find a massive thread on these forums discussing the pros and cons of different party sizes.

And there's been some more recent discussion in the course of talking about party composition.

I think there was also a mod available to increase party size, but as I don't use it I'm not sure whether it works with patch 9. It's also possible that Larian will make party size configurable for full release, but I don't believe that they've issued any statement of intent on that topic.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Thanks for the response.

I admittedly haven't played any 5E games. But other games, BG1-2, Pathfinder games, Pillars, etc... all have 5 or more. So I assumed that was the trend.

I can deal with 4. Just saying that my normal party dynamic consists of 2 front line tanks, 1 cleric, 1 mage and 1 thief. And although I know that Clerics in particular are usually pretty tanky, my own preferences generally lean otherwise. However, I acknowledge that this is merely my style. And I can adjust. It just seemed odd.

And yes, I figured it out. my point was that it was somewhat less than intuitive and at variance with other games out there. So I was wondering if it had been discussed/considered.

Last edited by The Spyder; 17/01/23 05:43 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by The Spyder
And yes, I figured it out. my point was that it was somewhat less than intuitive and at variance with other games out there. So I was wondering if it had been discussed/considered.

It’s definitely been discussed in the past, though I don’t think I’ve seen it said recently so it can’t hurt to mention again!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
D
stranger
stranger
D
It would be great if you could just create 4 characters at the start of a single player game and then never have to deal with the garbage interactions with the recruitable NPCs.

Volunteer Moderator
Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
I’ve moved Buba68’s reply to the above post to the party members thread, which seem a more relevant place for this discussion than this thread about the mechanics of configuring our party, and where Darth Baggins had made the same point.

(It’s to avoid discussion getting scattered over the forums that we prefer folk to just pick a thread for their point and stick to it, at least unless there’s a new post in which another user raises the point elsewhere.)

Link Copied to Clipboard