Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
veteran
veteran
I genuinely did not suspect he would be the first General and I don't even know who Z'rell is. But the problem is that this trailer isn't just for we who play early access. People who haven't bought the game will see it and won't get to enjoy putting the pieces together or being surprised themselves.

F
addict
addict
F
5 of my friends will buy this game and none of them are playing EA. None of them have watched any but the initial trailers, one of them has watched nothing. They're all waiting.

If I bought this game today and watched that trailer, it'd all go straight over my head and all I'd take away is some nice visuals. And for movie buffs, JK Simmons is premiere acting talent.

Nah, that video is primarily for us in EA.

veteran
veteran
Yes, I was surprised that identity of the three is going to be revealed - it seemed like one of game’s mysteries. At the same time, I didn’t find BG3 narrative gripping enough to care. I don’t know who this KT is, so if it was meant to mean something to me, it doesn’t. So one of the three will be a necromancer voiced by J. K. S. Ok, cool. I just have to point out how detrimental in game cinematic is to his performance. I found the footage of him recording in a booth far more compelling that watching a digital puppet awkwardly mime to his performance.

I was more interested in, what I thought was Jaheira telling us that we need to take Simmons’s character down. That would indicate we will meet her in act1 rather than in Baldur’s Gate.

Edit. Thinking more of it - Lieutenants identity might not be a mystery in 1.0. Making their reveal before release not that relevant. Yes, currently the game conceals character’s identities, but it does describe them verbally - it’s clear that our character sees who the lieutenants are, even if in EA their models were concealed in shadows.

Yes it feels rather odd to be just shown KT, after over two years of EA but EA wasn’t an intended experience.

Last edited by Wormerine; 24/02/23 12:15 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
I don’t know who this KT is, so if it was meant to mean something to me, it doesn’t.
Halsin talks about him after the party, so I wasn’t surprised to find out that Ketheric Thorm is a villain in BG3.

J.K. Simmons is great, so I was happy to hear he would be a voice actor in BG3!

addict
addict
Fully agree. I hate spoilers!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by FreeTheSlaves
I tell you what's spoilery, is that blonde Selunite (with heavy eye liner) the long awaited origin character, Helia?
nope. that's ketheric thorm's daughter Isobel.

veteran
veteran
Oh no, the game is le ruined! EVERYBODY GO HOME! :P

Anyway....

I personally am not affected by spoilers because it doesn't change the journey nor does it provide context for what actually happens.

For some of us - we won't concede our enjoyment of something to another person. It's a kind of defiance based on an internal locus of control. A rejection of victimhood in any form, no matter how minor.

But I understand not everyone is built the same. I will try not to make fun too much, and I am all about respecting the spoiler thing as much as I can.

But personally, I want to see who they have VC'ing the other two big baddies.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
+1 that it's a terrible idea to spoil major villains/story beats/anything that isn't encountered in the first ~hour of playing. Guess I'll just not watch anything put out by Larian for the next 6 months and be very selective in which forum threads I read...which seems like the opposite of what Larian presumably wants (to increase engagement and hype in BG3).

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by FreeTheSlaves
5 of my friends will buy this game and none of them are playing EA. None of them have watched any but the initial trailers, one of them has watched nothing. They're all waiting.

If I bought this game today and watched that trailer, it'd all go straight over my head and all I'd take away is some nice visuals. And for movie buffs, JK Simmons is premiere acting talent.

Nah, that video is primarily for us in EA.

Definitely not. Larian already has our money. They aren’t marketing to us. They also aren’t marketing to your friends who have already decided to buy the game. They want new sales, new customers.

——

Not to sound dismissive, but if avoiding spoilers is that important at this point you should stop watching trailers.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
+1 that it's a terrible idea to spoil major villains/story beats/anything that isn't encountered in the first ~hour of playing. Guess I'll just not watch anything put out by Larian for the next 6 months and be very selective in which forum threads I read...which seems like the opposite of what Larian presumably wants (to increase engagement and hype in BG3).

Almost every game that is every released does not limit its trailer content to the first hour of gameplay. That’s an absurd demand. Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Not to sound dismissive, but if avoiding spoilers is that important at this point you should stop watching trailers.

That is good advice. And I think it is good advice for many people. For this kind of videogame, the pros and cons of being exposed to spoilers could well be comparable to films. Some of the best film experiences I had were based on not knowing anything beforehand, other than the film being good. I highly recommend it, but it is difficult to pull off.

Even though I and others may have expected Ketheric to play a role in the story, I'd prefer not to see similar spoilers in future trailers. Part of the reward for reading in-game books, etc. is the fun of trying to piece together where things may be going. Surely it would be possible to reveal the name of a well-known voice actor without revealing exactly who they will voice and that character's role in the game, e.g. "X will voice an important sub-boss" is not really spoilerish.

Last edited by Imryll; 24/02/23 04:43 PM.
An Early Access game is a spoiler!

A forum dedicated to discussing the things in a game that hasn't been released yet is a spoiler!

Watching videos about the stuff Larian hid for dataminers to find and share is spoilers!

Trailers are spoilers!

Spoilers are fun and keep the excitment going! And better yet... you can just not click on that link, not join in. Keep it pure and remote, and rise above us cackling maniacs as we wallow in spoilers. And no, it hasn't ruined anything for me because I'm still super-excited for release and getting to find out what's in, what's where, and seeing and hearing everything in it's proper context.

Honestly, i think some of you are never going to forgive Larian for announcing that they were going to make the game at all, because it spoiled the surprise!

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
As per another recent thread, as well as this one, folk have a lot of different things they want to know - or not know - before release and mileage for spoilers varies.

By giving our various preferences here, the Larian team will get insight into what this particular group at least would like. So let’s keep doing that openly and constructively.

Personally, I’d prefer official updates and trailers to go relatively light on plot details for unreleased content, showing locations and characters but leaving us with more questions than answers, so I can watch them to build my anticipation without worrying I’m going to ruin something that would work better as a surprise or twist. That’s what most games marketing campaigns go for so I’d be surprised if Larian do anything hugely different.

I do wonder if Ketheric Thorm would feel like such a big reveal if we didn’t already know so much from EA. If we were given similar info about the other champions as we got in this trailer, but about whom we didn’t have so much context, would we feel that we’d learned a lot?

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
I guess he is some kind of Mulahey. Not very important, not very "big reveal" or spoil : in the end it's just a name.... but I personnally don't want to discover the steps (or branching ?) of the story through community update before release...

The "one of the 3 antagonists" is too much imo.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 24/02/23 06:17 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I do wonder if Ketheric Thorm would feel like such a big reveal if we didn’t already know so much from EA. If we were given similar info about the other champions as we got in this trailer, but about whom we didn’t have so much context, would we feel that we’d learned a lot?

I'm sure we wouldn't. Another factor is how they plan to introduce future bosses in-game. Will they be wearing a big "villain" sign when we first encounter them or will Larian tantalize us a bit by leaving us unsure at first about how they fit in? The less obvious what they're about the bigger the spoiler.

For those saying just avoid trailers, the problem is, of course, all the non-spoiler changes like new features added to the character creator revealed in such trailers. Not wanting plot spoilers doesn't mean that you don't want to know about changes in mechanics.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Am I remembering wrong? or wasn't Saravok revealed rather prominently in the original trailer for Baldur's Gate? And Irenicus was the same in Baldur's Gate 2? Certainly David Warner's voice was the VO for that trailer.

At the end of the day, we don't really know what he is up to, at least I don't. Personally, I formed several different scenarios in my mind about what the plot might be after watching the trailer. Maybe none of them will play out. Either way, I liked what I saw.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Imryll
Originally Posted by The Red Queen

I'm sure we wouldn't. Another factor is how they plan to introduce future bosses in-game. Will they be wearing a big "villain" sign when we first encounter them or will Larian tantalize us a bit by leaving us unsure at first about how they fit in? The less obvious what they're about the bigger the spoiler.

For those saying just avoid trailers, the problem is, of course, all the non-spoiler changes like new features added to the character creator revealed in such trailers. Not wanting plot spoilers doesn't mean that you don't want to know about changes in mechanics.

Your character sees all three of the lieutenants in a vision before entering the goblin camp. The only reason we didn’t already know what Ketheric looked like was because of the incomplete nature of EA content.

So yes, we know exactly how they fit in and they have big villain signs over their heads.

You don’t need to watch trailers to find out about new mechanics if you really want to know about that sort of thing.

Last edited by Warlocke; 24/02/23 07:05 PM.
veteran
veteran
So you think that when the completed game rolls around, we're actually going to see the full visage of the three in the vision? I recall that we only saw them in silhouette and I assumed that was going to be the case in the final release. Or am I just making things up in my head?

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
So you think that when the completed game rolls around, we're actually going to see the full visage of the three in the vision? I recall that we only saw them in silhouette and I assumed that was going to be the case in the final release. Or am I just making things up in my head?

Well the narration gives you details about their appearance that you can tell from just a silhouette. One of them is described as having pale skin and paler eyes. This heavily implies that in the final iteration of this scene that we will be able to actually see them and what we have now are placeholders.

The scene also doesn’t make sense if we can’t see them as the entire purpose of it is that we are being given orders to help the Absolute’s champions and being shown what they look like so we can actually do that.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard