Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Did I hear there's an argument? Surely we can't be getting overheated and annoyed with one another about mod clients? What am I saying? Of course we can!

But please, let's not.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Mercury4711
I like to fiddle with mods myself and Nexus does not let you do that easily.
How so? From my experience, Nexus makes it trivial to open the specific folder for a particular mod and edit the files within. And you don't have to install mods from Nexus. You can install them from a local source without any issues. Reapplying mods is also not a problem.

I fail to see how this is actually easier using Steam Workshop?

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Did I hear there's an argument? Surely we can't be getting overheated and annoyed with one another about mod clients? What am I saying? Of course we can!

But please, let's not.
Sorry Queen. Just rather warm in Denmark at the moment, and I'm guessing it aint cold in italy either.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by ArvGuy
You can read the error message, right? I mean, it's in English and everything, and what it says isn't random gibberish. The error message definitively originates from an extension for Morrowind. It just so happens that the base Vortex comes bundled with a Morrowind extension, just in case people might want to use it for handling Morrowind.
Yeah, and since I DO NOT HAVE MORROWIND INSTALLED (nor any mod for it) what are we going to make out of this error? More evidence that the Vortex client is incredibly awesome and I'm the one at fault?

Also, I'm not sure where did you get this delusional idea that I didn't manage to set up the Vortex correctly in the past, when I even told you that I used it in December.
I'm just telling you I never liked it.

The fact that my first attempt to launch it again after few months resulted in the software spazzing out and making up absurd error messages just goes to add to the hilarity.

Last edited by Tuco; 15/07/23 10:12 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Mercury4711
I like to fiddle with mods myself and Nexus does not let you do that easily.
How so? From my experience, Nexus makes it trivial to open the specific folder for a particular mod and edit the files within. And you don't have to install mods from Nexus. You can install them from a local source without any issues. Reapplying mods is also not a problem.

I fail to see how this is actually easier using Steam Workshop?

If i remember correctly Vortex sets up it's own folder structure for the mods, packed and deployed and so on, and only puts links into the actual game folder, and it used to throw hissy fits when you tried to change anything manually. Maybe that's not the case anymore. I stopped using it years ago, so that argument could be outdated. Steam in my experience doesn't care if you change anything, only when the mod gets updated your changes will be overwritten, but thats what backups are for.
But to be fair I'm an oldschool modder myself and always want to have complete control over my stuff. grin

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Tuco
You can read the error message, right? I mean, it's in English and everything, and what it says isn't random gibberish. The error message definitively originates from an extension for Morrowind. It just so happens that the base Vortex comes bundled with a Morrowind extension, just in case people might want to use it for handling Morrowind.
Yeah, and since I DO NOT HAVE MORROWIND INSTALLED (nor any mod for it) what are we going to make out of this error? More evidence that the Vortex client is incredibly awesome and I'm the one at fault?

Also, I'm not sure where did you get this delusional idea that I didn't manage to set up the Vortex correctly in the past, when I even told you that I used it in December.
I'm just telling you I never liked it.

The fact that my first attempt to launch it again after few months resulted in the software spazzing out and making up absurd error messages just goes to add to the hilarity.
I'm getting that "delusional idea" that your Vortex has somehow been mismanaged because you're complaining about a Vortex error that nobody else seems to be having. And I hesitate to ask, but why do you feel the error message is absurd? It's a pretty standard error message, as those things go. Rather more informative than your typical Windows error messages.

Vortex comes bundled with support for managing mods for quite a number of games. This support is created through extensions. The error tells you that an update for one of these failed. It isn't saying you have mods for Morrowind. It isn't saying you have plug-ins for Morrowind. It is saying that the extension used for handling Morrowind, which is a bundled default part of Vortex, failed to update. This is completely non-critical in and of itself, since you're not using that functionality anyway.

But the fact that you are getting that error is odd and should probably be investigated. It indicates something in the interaction between your system and this particular software application is off, and since it works everywhere else, the problem is likely a local one. And if something on your system is borking this update then it isn't inconceivable that it could bork other updates in other applications.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
But yeah, let's tie modding to a client that doesn't support the entire player base and offers a dramatically worse service.

This seems like an argument against Vortex, which is not supported for Mac players. I'd like steam workshop integration so that both people who play on Mac and PC can effectively use mods, Nexus is a major pain for Mac players. The steam workshop is a far more inclusive platform.

stranger
stranger
C'mon Larian...

We need this so badly...

V
V
So uh, was there any mention from Larian whether it’s at all on the table?

Romances in RPGs brought us to this
V
V
Originally Posted by euph
Steam Workshop - No, not even when I still had games that I play there. Now I have almost all my games on GOG, so, even less.
Vortex - NO!

Bethesda games - MO2
Unity games - Either UMM or BepinEX
Larian games - their respective mod manager (BG3MM right now) + manual installation
CDPR games - manual installation

Plenty of mods out there already for BG3. Get BG3MM and go mod, instead of waiting for Steam Workshop that will pop who knows when.
Hell I’d love to. Thing is I am playing via GeForce Now and my toaster Mac isn’t up to the task of running it natively, so Steam Workshop was the only way for me to use mods. Well that’s unfortunate.

Romances in RPGs brought us to this
Bard of Suzail
Bard of Suzail
Originally Posted by euph
Steam Workshop - No, not even when I still had games that I play there. Now I have almost all my games on GOG, so, even less.
Vortex - NO!

Bethesda games - MO2
Unity games - Either UMM or BepinEX
Larian games - their respective mod manager (BG3MM right now) + manual installation
CDPR games - manual installation

Plenty of mods out there already for BG3. Get BG3MM and go mod, instead of waiting for Steam Workshop that will pop who knows when.

Would it not be nice if ALL the game devs created a standardized Mod introduction system so we could have a single program for mod managing ANY game?

veteran
veteran
I am definitely a strong 'yes' on Steam Workshop support for the game, and very much hope it happens.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard