Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
old hand
old hand
S
I was afraid reaction would be poorly implemented and slow down the already slow combat, but Larian was smart enough to make it modular. It is finely grained, it has multiple trigger options, perfect to me.

C
C
I mean was it? Or was it just one of those things they had to code in but which took time?

Now that they're in I 100% love them, especially bard and paladin. But shield will be amazing too, especially on tactician.

I really hope they can figure out a way to make featherfall a reaction. It would be so cool, again especially in tactician. It might be difficult to code though depending how fall damage activates. Maybe a prompt after an enemy shove success? It would be super cool. It's pretty useless as a spell slot as is

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
A lot of people complained about this in EA and I think the fact that Solasta had a great reaction system from launch led to a lot of comparisons. So many spells and abilities just don't work right without reactions like Smites, Shield or Hellish Rebuke.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by crashdaddy
I mean was it? Or was it just one of those things they had to code in but which took time?

Definitely. In that Italian interview with Larian's lead designer, he specifically said that without fan feedback there would have been no reaction system like the one we now have.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
C
C
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Originally Posted by crashdaddy

Definitely. In that Italian interview with Larian's lead designer, he specifically said that without fan feedback there would have been no reaction system like the one we now have.

Ah, didn't know that, thanks RQ

A definite result for feedback then. The game is so much better with than without them and I can imagine later on even better. I have to say I didn't enjoy the system in Solasta when I played because I chose a protection paladin and their casters used cantrips so much I was getting spammed with the pop ups all the time. What I like about BG3 is that the casters seem to use spells you might want to counter instead of a load of people using Sacred Flame. It makes it a more dramatic choice rather than constantly clicking no for a lot of battles.

Originally Posted by Doomdrake
Originally Posted by Alyssa_Fox
Originally Posted by ladydub
breaking dnd rules 🤨

DnD rules are not laws, they are guidelines and DMs are encouraged to ignore them if that makes the adventure more fun and enjoyable for the party.

I gotta ask my DM and the rest of my table how much fun they are having when I'm rolling 5 dice for my attacks and pick the best one.

A straw man fallacy

Originally Posted by Alyssa_Fox
breaking dnd rules 🤨

DnD rules are not laws, they are guidelines and DMs are encouraged to ignore them if that makes the adventure more fun and enjoyable for the party.

keyword "enjoyable"

check the forums and tell me how the party is enjoying it.

The forums are filled with a vocal minority of obnoxious DnD purists who have an unhealthy obsession about rulebooks.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Oy! No insults.

After I've had to warn a number of folk in recent days about this my posts on this topic are going to get shorter and less diplomatic, and my finger is inching ever closer to the suspension button. Don't make me do it!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Dnd is a game. Games have rules. Wanting a game based on dnd to stick to the rules as much as possible is not wring though changes are inevitable. Debating them is not immoral. I've played many dnd video games that changed rules and were still fun. I expect bg3 will be fun, but that doesnt mean we all should just support every change.

I know if someone made a chess game and changed the rules, chess players would likely criticize it, and rightly do.

Bg changed dnd ruless, got criticized for it (rightly and wrongly) and managed to survive. I'm sure bg3 will survive.

Last edited by Volourn; 13/07/23 05:53 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard