Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
stranger
stranger
I also really, really dislike this decision. Unless there's some incredible payoff for killing off all but 3 of the companions (and no, turning them all into mindflayers isn't an incredible payoff) I don't think it's worth it. I'm really interested in seeing how, for example, Lae'zel's story evolves over the game. But if you make me pick 3 am I going to pick the most abrasive companion in the game? No, I'm definitely not.

Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
I am by no means saying you should be able to drag along every single recruitable character regardless of circumstances. But the limitation should come from story reasons. And by that I mean organic, believable, realistic story reasons that make sense and that FEEL like they make sense. Not "rocks fall, everyone dies" story reasons that are handwaved with whatever excuse. Good reasons would include: antagonizing a companion, a companions strongly disagreeing with your actions, incompatible companions. That's already a lot of limitations. Arbitrary locking your party is just... frustrating and imo brings no benefit.

Well said. If I have to choose between Shadowheart and Lae'zel in a standoff? Sure. If Wyll bails because I'm too blatantly evil? Sure. These make for great story moments. I don't expect to be able to keep every single companion over the entire game. But trying to force "replayability" by arbitrarily locking off all but 3 of the companions really sucks.

M
stranger
stranger
M
The more I hear about this game the more it is lacking behind Baldur`s Gate 2. Just wow.

enthusiast
enthusiast
the game feels like it needs a few more companions available, party size could do with being five characters too, rather than 4.

the actual companions should just be companions, drop the origin character thing and let us make our own character and simply meet interesting people along the journey.

a bit more diversity in the feel of the characters would be idea.

we should be able to change who is in the party throughout most of the game except where we fall out with a companion to the point they wont work with us anymore.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
For what it's worth, Larian's mentioned that the npcs we have are the 'evil' ones, or at least the less likeable ones, that are in the game. I believe there's going to be one NPC for every class? They deliberately picked this roster since most players would go "evil, yuck" and ditch them.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by blindhamster
the actual companions should just be companions, drop the origin character thing and let us make our own character and simply meet interesting people along the journey.

100% agree with this. Playing as an origin character in DOS2 just felt like you were playing through somebody else's story - each of the companions had explicit goals apart from the main storyline, and you'd find out basic facts about them halfway through the game. The dialogue tags made me feel kind of obligated to pick whichever choice the character was 'supposed' to go with. And even if you didn't play as one, you'd get spoilers from the character selection screen at the start of the game.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard