Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Based on what I've seen from the people who attended the latest panel from hell it is very clear that there is now no reason to play humans at all. There is nothing humans get that literally every other race can do better when humans historically were the only race in all of Toril that could handle every class because humans were the most diverse and flexible race of them all.

Now, they are just a costume.

Based on Fextralife's content we know that humans get the same +2 +1 that every other race gets and their racial bonuses are:

1. Proficiency in light armor
2. Proficiency with polearms
3. Carrying Capacity +20.

That is it.

+20 to carrying capacity does not compare with rerolling 1's with halfings, having dark vision and advantage on saving throws against magic effects like gnomes, humans don't get the same amount of weapon and armor proficiencies of a githyanki so that doesn't compare, they don't have anything that matches the +1 hp per every level that dwarfs get, let alone innate spellcasting that some races get like tieflings or drow.

Might as well pull humans from the game altogether with how little they get.

The whole +2 +1 for EVERY race no matter which race or attribute means that humans ultimately get nothing of value.

Compared to what other races get humans, which already were at the bottom of the races in terms of what they get may as well not exist because their greatest strength (their diversity of skills and abilities) is now shared by all other races.

These changes overall just are disappointing.

Last edited by Dragon_Master; 13/07/23 06:28 AM.

"I used my last magic poo to check in on my daughter." Scanlan Shorthalt.
I think it would be fair to give humans extra +2 ability points to put however you like. I think that would be in pretty same level what other races receive like darkvision for example.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
That would work.

+2 +2 +1 would still give humans that definite thing that sets them apart from other races and keep the most versatile of all races their own thing. They get so little else and what they do get is so objectively worse compared to what other races get that without something like this they are effectively redundant and are the weakest and worst race in the game.

Pretty much anything else would work.
Even nothing would be better because 20 load capacity not only don't make sense in a world where dwarfs exists, but it looks like an insult more than anything.

I'm ok with Larian reworking the human because of reason, despite varian human being perfect as it is, but load capacity is ugly.

... because it's fun!
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
The 20 load capacity doesn't even make sense when I can just send everything to camp with a click of the mouse.

So I basically have proficiency with light armor and polearms as the only things humans have going for them.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Of course humans don't need +2 +2 +1 if they are variant humans in which case they get a free feat and a skill proficiency of choice at level 1.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Since it looks like Larian is going down the DnD one path...

A human would get +2/+1 floating to stats, all races do

the racials humans get is
Humans gain inspiration after a long rest
Humans gain proficiency in one skill of choice
Humans gain a 1st level feat, important to note a 1st level feat is generally much weaker then later feats...

Volunteer Moderator
Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
I'm concerned but going to wait to find out what exactly is planned for humans, hallf-elves, etc who will lose out on ability points as a result of a move to +2/+1 floating bonuses. We've tried to deduce that from some screenshots but as far as I'm aware don't have any definite confirmation of whether there were non-ability bonuses we couldn't see, or if the ones we could see were configurable.

I hope we'll get more info soon, so I can actually decide what I think about this.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
stranger
stranger
Variant Human race is really needed to get newly added into this game after this game fully releases officially really.

Michael Sharp.
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
At the current stage I think its useless to do something already. Write, prove. I think Larians and Wizards have competent staff Who are quite capable of evaluating the gamemechs consequences of their steps. In particular what we prefer and will remain 2-3 races with an Best combinations of properties. All the rest, including humans, will be mostly unnesessary. So it suit either Larians or Wizards. The main thing in this cases is money. So they believe that sales and popularity will increase after such steps. Will see.

Last edited by Tormoz; 13/07/23 09:13 AM.
addict
addict
Alright, so here's my go at it:

Traits:

Iron Lungs: Humans recover from fatigue faster than other races. They regain full HP on a Short Rest.

Adaptable Mind: Humans can choose one weapon proficiency and one skill proficiency of their choice.

We Stand Together: Humans can use the Help action as a Bonus Action.

I think this would make for a decently strong race in BG3. Iron Lungs isn't that strong because Long Rests are easy to come by, but I tend to use them whenever I do something daring (aka stupid) and get hurt and don't want to drag the party through the whole Long Rest ceremony and waste food. Human players being more likely to take risks and get hurt because they can easily bounce back seems flavorful to me, even if it's not very strong.

Adaptable Minds is obvious. Humans are the Many Hats race in DnD. I like weapon proficiency because it makes humans more flexible at playing different classes, which makes for more unique builds. Wizard with a halberd. Cleric with a glaive. Things like that. But you still want something nice for martials, so a skill proficiency lightens the load a bit on Fighters and Barbarians who sometimes feel useless out of combat while making human rogues some of the best skill monkeys in the game.

Help as a Bonus Action is really good in my mind. Just the fact this means you could get a party member off the ground with a Bonus Action and still attack is a big deal, but being able to remove other effects from allies in melee range without giving up your main action is pretty huge. It's also the most thematic I feel, because it represents humanity's greatest strength. Humans aren't as smart as gnomes, strong as orcs, dexterous or magical as elves, resilient as dwarves, or as chill as Halflings, but they are still the most numerous and powerful of the races on Faerun. Why? Because humans help each other. They reproduce the fastest and do the most to support their communities, which allows them to cultivate the largest territories and build the largest kingdoms. The Help action embodies all that.

It's also just nice that martials, who benefit less from Adaptable Minds, are more likely to be melee and thus can get more mileage out of We Stand Together as a result.

Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
Iron Lungs: Humans recover from fatigue faster than other races. They regain full HP on a Short Rest.

Adaptable Mind: Humans can choose one weapon proficiency and one skill proficiency of their choice.

We Stand Together: Humans can use the Help action as a Bonus Action.

All three of these are really interesting, and I especially love "We stand together". I don't know how the aid action has been implemented, but supporting others is my favourite role and would make the human, a race that I usually discard by principle, something I'd really have to try.

... because it's fun!
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by Wulfgar1973xt1
Variant Human race is really needed to get newly added into this game after this game fully releases officially really.

I think, given the popularity of project, cheats will appear soon. And this allow generate VH and not to be upset on Larians human. If you planning solo pass or with close friends who agree with these terms - then not a problem at all.

Last edited by Tormoz; 13/07/23 10:48 AM.
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Annoying that they opted for the +2/+1 optional rule based on Tasha and then not think about the balance consequences of that decision. It's also very odd that they did this last-minute change when racial ASI was in the EA for well over three years.

Now human are objectively the worst race followed by half-elf (as their previous bonus of choosing two +1 scores have been removed). Why go half-elf when you can just go elf now?

I can't help but feel the have deliberately done this to incentivize other races after they made that statement in 2020 about how the majority goes for a white male human. Guess I'm going to wait until variant mod comes out before I buy the game.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Dragon_Master
The 20 load capacity doesn't even make sense when I can just send everything to camp with a click of the mouse.

So I basically have proficiency with light armor and polearms as the only things humans have going for them.

I suspect the weight capacity also factors into throwing capabilities. Larian seems to value the ability to toss dwarves as a key component to the game. As such +20 to throwing probably seems like a big deal to them.

Back from timeout.
Originally Posted by benbaxter

I suspect the weight capacity also factors into throwing capabilities. Larian seems to value the ability to toss dwarves as a key component to the game. As such +20 to throwing probably seems like a big deal to them.

That's a really intersting perspective. How are throwing weapons implemented? Are javelins in the game?

... because it's fun!
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Sansang2
Originally Posted by benbaxter

That's a really intersting perspective. How are throwing weapons implemented? Are javelins in the game?

They are, but they are light enough that it doesn't make a difference.

However, moving crates and bodies is impacted by weight capacity. One of my strategies for dealing with the undead in a certain early tomb is to toss them all in a pile so I can thunderwave them when they wake up, and only the stronger characters can even move them. Current capacity plays a part on if you can even select "throw" or drag and drop as an option when interacting with things.

Back from timeout.
Oh ok, so throwing in the sense of lifting, pushing, and such. Yeah, it's enough to change my opinion. I still don't love it, between humans and dwarfs it's weird that it's humans to have this bonus, but if it does have its own utility It can, remotely, make sense. Cool.

Last edited by Sansang2; 13/07/23 01:05 PM.

... because it's fun!
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I'm concerned but going to wait to find out what exactly is planned for humans, hallf-elves, etc who will lose out on ability points as a result of a move to +2/+1 floating bonuses. We've tried to deduce that from some screenshots but as far as I'm aware don't have any definite confirmation of whether there were non-ability bonuses we couldn't see, or if the ones we could see were configurable.

I hope we'll get more info soon, so I can actually decide what I think about this.

I am one of Larian's biggest cheerleaders, but I am also a little concerned here because I don't understand this change in context. It's just an odd thing that doesn't make sense.

Is Larian trying to dissuade people from playing Human? Variant Human would be super popular - because that extra feat, skill and the +1 +1 in two abilities. Are they worried about the statistics from that first community update being the same with players overwhelmingly playing milquetoast white dudes?

Yeah, it was a bit sad and lame but if that is someone's journey let them have it.

Blackheifer
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Sansang2
Oh ok, so throwing in the sense of lifting, pushing, and such. Yeah, it's enough to change my opinion. I still don't love it, between humans and dwarfs it's weird that it's humans to have this bonus, but if it does have its own utility It can, remotely, make sense. Cool.

From what I can tell, it also affects throwing large explosive barrels in combat wink

When I am playing a strong character on the mindflayer ship, I will take one of the purple containers with me and chuck it at the demon captain.

Last edited by benbaxter; 13/07/23 01:10 PM.

Back from timeout.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard