Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
addict
addict
Additional uses: I will bring barrels of water with me into a certain burning building to put out fires to loot food/wine/expensive paintings without taking damage.

And large rocks to cover gas traps.

Last edited by benbaxter; 13/07/23 01:14 PM.

Back from timeout.
H
HZM Offline
journeyman
journeyman
H
Larian is obviously trying to dissuade people from playing Humans. They are so objectively weaker than all other races, there's no way this is accidental.

journeyman
journeyman
After watching the itemization video from fextralife this entire debate seem kind of pointless I guess. Personally, I'm all for having different abilities for different races. That's what makes choosing a specific race in an RPG great. But the video said players can literally find items with different ability score bonuses. Like finding a pair a gloves that set dexterity to 18, or the headband of intellect. With Items like these, it seems the extra ASI humans usually get wouldn't matter anyway. That being said, they should give human better perks instead of a +20 carry weight. Because carry weight is useless.

Last edited by EMTFields; 13/07/23 01:54 PM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Basically humans and half-elves are getting the shaft. They need more stuff than what is currently known they are getting to make up for what they are losing.

Mechanically speaking humans are objectively worse at everything right now compared to any other class.

"I used my last magic poo to check in on my daughter." Scanlan Shorthalt.
veteran
veteran
And Shield Dwarves ...

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by benbaxter
Originally Posted by Dragon_Master
The 20 load capacity doesn't even make sense when I can just send everything to camp with a click of the mouse.

So I basically have proficiency with light armor and polearms as the only things humans have going for them.

I suspect the weight capacity also factors into throwing capabilities. Larian seems to value the ability to toss dwarves as a key component to the game. As such +20 to throwing probably seems like a big deal to them.

So why would humans be able throw things further than a half orc when throwing things is largely based on the strength score and not the carrrying capacity?

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I'm concerned but going to wait to find out what exactly is planned for humans, hallf-elves, etc who will lose out on ability points as a result of a move to +2/+1 floating bonuses. We've tried to deduce that from some screenshots but as far as I'm aware don't have any definite confirmation of whether there were non-ability bonuses we couldn't see, or if the ones we could see were configurable.

I hope we'll get more info soon, so I can actually decide what I think about this.

I am one of Larian's biggest cheerleaders, but I am also a little concerned here because I don't understand this change in context. It's just an odd thing that doesn't make sense.

Is Larian trying to dissuade people from playing Human? Variant Human would be super popular - because that extra feat, skill and the +1 +1 in two abilities. Are they worried about the statistics from that first community update being the same with players overwhelmingly playing milquetoast white dudes?

Yeah, it was a bit sad and lame but if that is someone's journey let them have it.

Gale, Wyll and Minsc are Human while Shadowheart and Jaheria are Half-Elf (Half-human). There is human majority in the game already. These stat changes nerf 5 companions even if we choose another race for our character(assuming Larian doesnt want us to pick human).

There are some Larian homebrew I dont like but I see their reasoning. I dont comprehend what Larian is trying to achieve with changes to Human. Sven’s younger cousin wants to play humans with polearms and extra carrying capacity?

Last edited by zamo; 14/07/23 03:59 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dragon_Master
Basically humans and half-elves are getting the shaft.
Not to the same degree.
Half-elves still have dark vision, immunity to sleep, a bonus cantrip, etc.

Humans get proficiencies that get easily redundant on any class that would want them and a +20 carry capacity which is aggressively MEH in a game where you can just teleport heavy stuff to camp.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by zamo
Gale, Wyll and Minsc are Human while Shadowheart and Jaheria are Half-Elf (Half-human). There is human majority in the game already. These stat changes nerf 5 companions even if we choose another race for our character(assuming Larian doesnt want us to pick human).
With a +2/+1 instead of a +1 to all stats:

- Gale and Wyll will likely lose a point of Con (15->14), and then another point in one of: Str, Dex, Wis, or Con.
- Shadowheart's stats won't actually be effected because her old build "wasted" the +2 Cha.
- I expect similar effects for Minsc and Jaheria, since Jaheria at least would originally have also been "wasting" the +2 Cha bonus.

veteran
veteran
On a positive (?) note Gale will gain Light Armor proficiency... Assuming there will be good ones for a mage later in the game.
Also, probably not much of a gain, given that it will be mutually exclusive with Mage Armor anyway...

You know what? The more I think about it, the more it sucks for humans.

Last edited by Tuco; 14/07/23 04:49 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
addict
addict
I want to mirror a poster on another conversation in the forums, about playing humans because "I can relate to them as I am one"

So when I first started playing dnd in the late 70's early 80's I played humans. In 3.0 rules I moved to playing Dwarves for no other reason than I started looking like one lol

Taller of course but thick shouldered, strong legs and a craftsman. And I loved there personalities.

"Dwarves were also known for their stubborn nature and cynicism, traits widespread amongst the dwarves but which contributed to and were commonly offset by their bravery and tenacity. Dwarven friendship was hard to earn, but was strong once won."

back to the subject of humans. I feel like 3.0 rules gave the human its do. They started with more skill points, if your not familiar with 3.0/3.5 skills are strong, Bluff being maybe the strongest , as you could bluff the dragon out of his gold, bluff your way out of Jail.. on and on As well as a extra feat at first level.

As he states in the video, for their short life they have accomplished much on Faerun. Very versatile race.

Last edited by Doomlord; 14/07/23 08:45 PM.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
addict
addict
I'm all for improving humans, the way they are now is terrible.

Implementing 5E's variant human as the standard would solve the current issues, but I'd take even the 5E standard human over the ones we have now.

veteran
veteran
Well Larian has often been using phrases such as "at launch" a few times, even recently. So I'm sure there's going to be some tweaks coming and quality of life changes to address some the issues with some races and classes. Will they do something for humans specifically? I suspect they will, but we can't know for certain, and even if they do it will take some time. For the time being it's fine, not an optimal race to play as for sure though.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 14/07/23 08:42 PM.
addict
addict
I want to apologize I see there is a thread on humans already, Posted this with out looking first.

S
old hand
old hand
S
People will have to mod humans. I mean, at least there's a generally accepted alternative variant.

stranger
stranger
For some reason, they have nerfed humans on purpose. I don't know why, maybe the extra feat doesn't match what they have in mind, but it is assumed that the game manuals have already revised that content to make it balanced. They also give them a totally useless ability to carry more weight, which makes me laugh and stupefy. I don't know if they are really laughing at us or they just want us to play the other races for some specific reason.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Cyrus
For some reason, they have nerfed humans on purpose. I don't know why, maybe the extra feat doesn't match what they have in mind, but it is assumed that the game manuals have already revised that content to make it balanced. They also give them a totally useless ability to carry more weight, which makes me laugh and stupefy. I don't know if they are really laughing at us or they just want us to play the other races for some specific reason.

I honestly couldn't say.

I am personally inclined to think it is a Wizard of the Coast change though because BG3 is releasing so close to One D&D releasing next year and the changes are the half-way between D&D 5E and D&D 5E (which is what WotC is insisting One D&D should be called, so we don't get confused by the difference.)

U
stranger
stranger
U
I am not happy with the recent changes which completely destroys the foundation the D&D RPG: Character Creation. This game was advertised and promoted to follow the 5th Edition D&D - now they want to destroy the unique and different abilities and disabilities across the the board. And they are doing this at launch! This is absurd and if not addressed in a timely manner, I will be demanding a refund for False Advertising.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ultra45
I am not happy with the recent changes which completely destroys the foundation the D&D RPG: Character Creation. This game was advertised and promoted to follow the 5th Edition D&D - now they want to destroy the unique and different abilities and disabilities across the the board. And they are doing this at launch! This is absurd and if not addressed in a timely manner, I will be demanding a refund for False Advertising.
WotC already did that with TCoE's Custom Lineage, Monsters of the Multiverse and One D&D. Races in D&D are just for virtual cosplay now.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard