stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I create 5th level multiclass character with Charisma 18:
Bard 2 level, Paladin 1, Sorcerer 1, Warlock 1

Does this mean that my character will have :
4 spell slots level 1, 3 spell slots level 2, 2 spell slots level 3 for bard
4 spell slots level 1, 2 spell slots level 2 for paladin
4 spell slots level 1, 3 spell slots level 2, 2 spell slots level 3 for sorcerer
2 spell slots level 3 for warlock ?

Will this lead to a strong imbalance in the game?

Does the Larian studio plan to release a manual to multiclassing before release of the game?

W
veteran
veteran
W
I’m not sure how multiclassing and spells is working in this game, there seems to be some contention and uncertainty in that regard.

But it will not work how you are envisioning it.

In 5th Ed your spell slots are shared amongst all your classes. No matter how many caster classes you have, you can never have more than 4 slots per level. Spells you know can be cast with any slots.

The only difference here is warlock I believe. I think their slots are different, but they can still cast any sort of spell with any sort of spell slot. I need to refresh myself on those rules.

I would love to get a manual or retail version changelog before release, but I don't think we get anything like that because Larian is Larian.

enthusiast
enthusiast
As far as i know, you will get more cantrips... but spell slots is shared between all classes... what Larian seem to have changed is a full caster class gives +1 to spells level... ie if you have 1 level Mage and 2 level cleric, you are seen as a 3rd level mage as for what spells you can cast and same for cleric... in essence what this does as long as you multiclass full spell caster classes you are a theurg...

so we will have access and know spells faster and earlier... but we will not get more spells slot to cast these... its not as bad some make it out to be, it would be worse if casters got more spell slots...

G
G
In 5e you can share spells slots between all your casting classes.

You must however be a level 5 cleric to learn level 5 cleric spells.

If you have level 5 slots for Druid then take one level in cleric, you can only cast the level one cleric spells you know.

If this has been Larian-brewed please explain.

Are we throwing away spell tables then (that show spells known) ?

Do I automagically jump up the table to a higher level on the existing spell table and pick spells from all the caster classes I have levels in?

Last edited by Grizzmyt; 14/07/23 07:10 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Aurora42
what Larian seem to have changed is a full caster class gives +1 to spells level... ie if you have 1 level Mage and 2 level cleric, you are seen as a 3rd level mage as for what spells you can cast and same for cleric... in essence what this does as long as you multiclass full spell caster classes you are a theurg...

This is speculation. I don't believe it's been verified at all.

G
G
Originally Posted by JandK
what Larian seem to have changed is a full caster class gives +1 to spells level... ie if you have 1 level Mage and 2 level cleric, you are seen as a 3rd level mage as for what spells you can cast and same for cleric... in essence what this does as long as you multiclass full spell caster classes you are a theurg...

This is speculation. I don't believe it's been verified at all.

Good!

This would be game breaking.

old hand
old hand
I kind of fell for this earlier, but truth be told - I don't believe this is how it works.

If *anything* they changed about multiclassing, it's probably getting your feat/asi at character levels 4/8/12 instead of class levels; making for more possible worthwile combinations.

But that hasn't been confirmed either; we'll have to wait and see. No one here has the answers, regardless.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
veteran
veteran
This is what we know:
Originally Posted by Italian Interview
"The other thing we've changed is how magic users use spell slots, making it less punishing to level more than one magic class. One issue with multiclassing is that if you multiclass early in the game, you don't get strong abilities like "Fireball" at the same level as a "pure" class, but we wanted players to be able to multiclass from the start of the campaign, without having to necessarily wait for the advanced levels, so it was the case to revise the use of resources a bit."
https://multiplayer.it/articoli/baldurs-gate-3-intervistata-lead-system-designer-larian.html

The recent Community Update #21 didn't mention any additional specifics, or even confirm the above.

enthusiast
enthusiast
As i wrote seem, but we do have that italian interview, and i cant think of any other way that multiclasses wouldent fall behind when they get their spells... and i asume a Dev actually know their own game... so as far as i know, its "seems" its this way...

W
veteran
veteran
W
I don’t see how this would work.

You are a level 11 cleric. You level to 12 and say “fuck it, Wizard time!” And then have every single wizard spell clutter the level up screen and you can just choose whatever spell you want?

But I’m reserving all judgement until I see details as to what any changes to multiclassing entails.

In the last community update they spoke about "spending points", which is not something you do when you level up in 5e.

Each level, you'll have the option to choose a different class to spend points on and begin building a bespoke Multiclass character.

On top of that we saw the screen of a multiclassed character that don't specify the level of the second class. I guess it should be "LV 9 Druid / Lv X Sorcerer" if multiclass is implemented normally.

[img]https://i.imgur.io/CWzksVw_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium[/img] (how does this tag work?)

My completely made up theory is that they overhauled multiclas and when you level up you choose what features, not classes, advance. If you are a Rogue / Cleric you can keep keep acquiring rogue features but gain Cleric spells instead of sneak dice, for example. At least, it's the only think I can think of given the informations above, but I have all the doubts in the world about this because assigning a value to every feature and implement a point buy on top of that seems overcomplicated if not a nightmare.

Last edited by Sansang2; 14/07/23 07:49 PM.

... because it's fun!
enthusiast
enthusiast
i tend to agree, but in essence its not more bizare then a fighter dipping into a few level rogue and suddenly is heavy armour sneaker... and ultimatly, it dosent matter if you have access to a billion spells, couse we wont get more spell slots, if a mage / cleric casts a cleric spell its still one less mage spell...

And technically that one level wizard wouldent have many spells in their spell book ?, they still need to learn and spend gold for every spell...

Last edited by Aurora42; 14/07/23 07:54 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
i tend to agree, but in essence its not more bizare then a fighter dipping into a few level rogue and suddenly is heavy armour sneaker... and ultimatly, it dosent matter if you have access to a billion spells, couse we wont get more spell slots, if a mage / cleric casts a cleric spell its still one less mage spell...

And technically that one level wizard wouldent have many spells in their spell book ?, they still need to learn and spend gold for every spell...

You wouldn’t have many spells, but you could have whatever you want.

“I just learned arcane magic. I have two spells in my spell book now!”

“Oh really? That’s great, Tav. Which spells did you learn?”

“Circle of Death and Globe of Invulnerability.”

“…”

enthusiast
enthusiast
Thats true... but
A cleric can just as well cast blade barrier or sunbeam... they still cant cast more 6th level spells... so does it matter what spell hits you or them for shit ton of damage...

the difrence when it comes to 11/1 fighter / rogue, is that every swing that fighter does, will do more damage, since flanking givessneak attack with friend...

the diffrence in bizzare is that will yes cleric/ wizard might technically look OP, it isnt, couse they still cant cast more spells, and they end up loosing a feat... im not saying its bad to have versatility, but there is far vorse combos...

edit: they also need two stats Int and wiz, to get a high dc and hit with their spells... so while a fighter/ rogue can easilly use one stat... there is issues for some caster class combos

edit: and you be supriced, how many wizard spells som subclasses from bard, cleric and druid can access... and with free respeccing, well today i need these wizard spells. why bother multi when you can just single focus and respec what you want for the day ?, and all those spells will use one stat...

Last edited by Aurora42; 14/07/23 08:31 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
You make some good points. Well done.

Enjoy this kitten as a prize.

[Linked Image from boredpanda.com]

enthusiast
enthusiast
Thank you <3, i like kittens... my cat isnt a kitten anymore, more a grandma, i have floffy longhaired skandinavian forest cat...

W
veteran
veteran
W
My crew.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by Warlocke; 14/07/23 09:34 PM.
Beyond the Italian interview I don't think we've heard much one way or the other, so in the interim I guess we wait to see the final system.

addict
addict
Divine Soul Sorcerors already have access to both spell lists and it hasn't broken 5e. I think we'll be fine.

Back from timeout.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard