Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Well, i'll keep my suggestion and let Larian decide.

My first playthrough is definitely going to be Durge, regardless if they bring this change or not. Now that i think about it, my second is going to be she-Durge. And maybe third...

At least i don't see myself as playing Tav.

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by Elphirein
Coming from reddit, there seems to be some people who find the idea of losing control to Durge's urges unacceptable or simply a "forced choice or lack of it". People will be picking up this Origin expecting Tav+, expecting full control of their character regardless of situation.

It is amazing the froth that gets whipped up based on speculation about something we have extremely limited information about.

Does Durge limit player autonomy in game-ruining ways? Let's find out what it actually is and isn't before making choices about that.

Literally 100% of the information we have is from marketing material and youtubers sharing what marketing folks shared with them.

Assumptions are taking the shape of truth left, right, and everywhere in between

Last edited by colinl8; 15/07/23 04:28 PM.
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
As most of us have said, I agree that an additional warning shouldn't be needed based on the origins description.

However, in defense of the redditers, I can see how people could be surprised at the outcome of some of their choices with the character. I also acknowledge that there are unforseen outcomes with most of your choices in game with any character, which is done purposefully.

For instance, in the gale's hand scene from pfh the selected dialog choice was "fantasize about hacking off the hand". And I'll only speak for myself and the PC (as he did react with shock), but I was fairly surprised when that 'fantasy' became reality. And I think that was the purpose of that particular scene in the pfh to set our expectations of options with that origin.

veteran
veteran
Ok The Dark Urge looked promising, but if you really can't play it as a conflicted character who resists those urges.. count me out.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Siege664
For instance, in the gale's hand scene from pfh the selected dialog choice was "fantasize about hacking off the hand". And I'll only speak for myself and the PC (as he did react with shock), but I was fairly surprised when that 'fantasy' became reality. And I think that was the purpose of that particular scene in the pfh to set our expectations of options with that origin.
Yes, I also was surprised at the fantasy becoming reality. This should be the moment for the player to realise that he or she is playing a sicko crazy not always under the player's control.
This happens just after coming out of the Nautolid, 30 minutes of play or so, no sunk cost yet, so ... Start New Game.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Ok The Dark Urge looked promising, but if you really can't play it as a conflicted character who resists those urges.. count me out.
I mean if the Durge can be any class and stay as that class, including Devotion Paladin, I imagine they won’t just force you to break your oath without choice.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Originally Posted by 1varangian
I mean if the Durge can be any class and stay as that class, including Devotion Paladin, I imagine they won’t just force you to break your oath without choice.

Once again to reference the Gale scene... although I was surprised with how that particular choice played out, there were 4 other choices to choose. I'm sure there will always be a choice to truly resist available.

veteran
veteran
I presume Devotion Paladin Dark Urge will get some special dialogue options that helps him avoid his fits of murderous rage. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
journeyman
journeyman
I think the main issue is that people aren't really understanding what it is. Even Cas at Fextralife is basically marketing it as an MC with more options. We don't know what happens as you begin to 'recall more of your memories' as you progress through the game deeper and deeper into Act 2 and 3. It seems to be consensus that you will carry out atrocious acts without any control over your character. There will be moments you can intervene and obviously decide to choose how far to go, but other moments you will not have control.

It seems there is simply not enough information as to whether this is a character that is "basically Tav with a backstory and more dialogue/choice options that lean evil" or if this is a "primarily evil playthrough but you can control how evil it is going to get", a lot of people are speculating that it is former, but it could just as easily be the latter, in which case if they are expecting a goodie two-shoes Tav with more of a backstory and some strong redemption arc then they may find themselves quite disappointed.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by zanos
I think the main issue is that people aren't really understanding what it is. Even Cas at Fextralife is basically marketing it as an MC with more options. We don't know what happens as you begin to 'recall more of your memories' as you progress through the game deeper and deeper into Act 2 and 3. It seems to be consensus that you will carry out atrocious acts without any control over your character. There will be moments you can intervene and obviously decide to choose how far to go, but other moments you will not have control.

It seems there is simply not enough information as to whether this is a character that is "basically Tav with a backstory and more dialogue/choice options that lean evil" or if this is a "primarily evil playthrough but you can control how evil it is going to get", a lot of people are speculating that it is former, but it could just as easily be the latter, in which case if they are expecting a goodie two-shoes Tav with more of a backstory and some strong redemption arc then they may find themselves quite disappointed.
Fextra has seen the game though, while the hivemind forming a consensus and preconceived notions about the game haven’t… there isn’t enough information, but I’m leaning towards the guy that has actually played the game versus people that haven’t.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Originally Posted by zanos

Fextra has seen the game though, while the hivemind forming a consensus and preconceived notions about the game haven’t… there isn’t enough information, but I’m leaning towards the guy that has actually played the game versus people that haven’t.

Fex has seen some of Act 2, and some of Act 1, he beelined through Act 1 to get into more Act 2, he spent, as he claims, roughly 8 hours in Act 2, he also skipped over the 33% additional content in Act 1. This means he played a very tiny subset of the overall content as the Dark Urge, which means his opinion that is it is just 'main Tav with more choices' is based on a relatively small dataset of information. I like Cas, love Fextralife and use it frequently, but I am very skeptical of his claim on this. If he was allowed to play all of Act 1 and Act 2, that would be a very different story, but 8 hours is pretty marginal in the grand scheme of things here.

Last edited by zanos; 15/07/23 09:37 PM.
N
stranger
stranger
N
Perhaps they might create a 'Light Urges' character, a strange and mysterious loner who finds themselves compelled to weave daisychain wreaths and cook waffle breakfasts fir his enemies and the big reveal is that his controlling deity turns out to be, gasp!, Twinkatella, the Chaotic Good Goddess of Free Spa Coupons and Vegan Medicine.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by nuncle
Twinkatella, the Chaotic Good Goddess of Free Spa Coupons and Vegan Medicine.
I'm tempted to use that as Charname smile

In the gaming circles I'm in - the Dark Urge character 100% would need a warning. I think the biggest piece of information is that it is "not for the faint of heart" and that anyone who poses it as Tav+ or how larian intended to play is someone who doesn't exist in the fandom portions of the player base. It's naive and uninformed.

It 100% needs a warning, otherwise there will be as much uproar about it as Astarion's racism towards the Gur.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Personally, not a fan of the total lack of ability to resist some of the things

Considering what the urge is and how it worked for Gorions ward, there's literally no reason to not always give the choice. There should also be a distinction between thinking bad things and carrying them out, the Gale scene is a good example of bad setup. In BG2 you have points where you can do bad things (less so in BG1) and they're presented in a way to show its something inside you all the time. But we also know that multiple characters in a similar situation flat out don't commit such acts.

The interesting narrative for many will be actively resisting, there should be a cost - lack of access to powerful things (which is actually a thing to be fair), but it should always be the players choice if they want to resist, with at least a saving throw involved every time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard