Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
journeyman
journeyman
E
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Yea, this is getting to my 'stop looking at the forums' point now. Fextralife postings are getting way too common, and that guy will spoil anything and everything

Ditto! If I had more willpower I would already stop consuming bg3 information and go live in the woods for the rest of the month or something. :P

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
The more i hear this video, the more i feel like he should make another one and reupload ...

Shadowheart being good? O_o
SINCE WHEN? laugh
Shes always been good, anyone who has played EA can tell you that.

veteran
veteran
Just don’t ask her about the ritualistic cannibalism

journeyman
journeyman
Shadowheart's morality is a bit complicated. Generally she prefers good options UNLESS they interfere with getting the tadpoles out. If you stumble upon a situation and have to make a choice then and there she prefers the good choice. If a good choice leads you off on a tangent then she disapproves

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
Well, in my 989,3h ... she was anything but. laugh

She aprooved lying, murder, torture, being rude on people, being secretive and i believe even stealing.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Well, in my 989,3h ... she was anything but. laugh

She aprooved lying, murder, torture, being rude on people, being secretive and i believe even stealing.
Stuff like this really does make one question if you have played EA.

Shadow almost always pops approval from good actions. The only classically good things she doesn't approve of is telling everyone and their mom about the tadpole.

L
L
I don't see more of Alfira than just a potential camp follower... As for other "companions," it seems we'll get the ability to have the Guardian join with us in certain scenes but that might be more like a temporary companion or summon than anything else. Personally, I'm just holding out hope for a Viconia and maybe Imoen cameo...

7d7 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I see SH as a neutral character. She will approves whatever doesn't cost her much. Doesn't make her truly good. Then again we only saw her at the beginning of the story. I hope we could move her either way depending on how the narrative unfold.

veteran
veteran
I don't agree with what he says about Wyll and Gale: they are not good aligned. Maybe Wyll after the change, but he was more than willing to torture an innocent man for information and he didn't care at all about Barcus on the windmill, until he got what he wanted from that goblin.
Gale can sell you out to Raphael, if you don't do exactly, what he wants, for example giving him magical artefacts.

I really hope, he is right about one or two more companions and I really hope, those companions are from the smalelr races and/or halforcs or dragonborn. I really am tired to only see elf, humans and in-betweens.

Oh and I find the ladies downtime clothing really skimpy, really not my cup of tea. SO until I find different clothing for them, they will keep their armor on in camp.

Last edited by fylimar; 16/07/23 09:01 AM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Okay, I'm not watching this one as it sounds far too spoilery. I'm sure I'll pick up titbits anyway in discussions here, but just a reminder to everyone to pop things in spoiler tags if you think people might not want to know them in advance.

That's not at all pointed, by the way, as I've not seen anyone failing to spoiler tag anything they obviously should have, but just something I thought worth us all bearing in mind given all the stuff coming out now.

Tbh there is nothing in there, that wasn't already discussed here, apart from one info about Minsc, I found kind of strange and which made me curious. Maybe I'll play with MInsc in my group for once to see, how that plays out. But when the part about Minsc comes, you have enough time, to skip it, because he first introduces Minsc as what he is and then goes into the otehr stuff (just a short mention).
Other than that, he speculates and gives his opinion about what he thinks, the companions alignment could be and what might keep them happy, but that is mostly speculation.

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fylimar
I don't agree with what he says about Wyll and Gale: they are not good aligned. Maybe Wyll after the change, but he was more than willing to torture an innocent man for information and he didn't care at all about Barcus on the windmill, until he got what he wanted from that goblin.
Gale can sell you out to Raphael, if you don't do exactly, what he wants, for example giving him magical artefacts.

I really hope, he is right about one or two more companions and I really hope, those companions are from the smalelr races and/or halforcs or dragonborn. I really am tired to only see elf, humans and in-betweens.

Oh and I find the ladies downtime clothing really skimpy, really not my cup of tea. SO until I find different clothing for them, they will keep their armor on in camp.

Hmm, I always give him the magical items so I'venever seen him take Rafael's deal. But from what I understand he sells his own soul and only that, which I consider a different thing. It's a bad deal sure, but it only impacts himself really, and considering what he's dealing with it's really a best of bad options situation. Is that what you're referring to or does he do something else more overtly trecherous? And in fairness for the skimpy wardrobe, given the circumstances it's probably literally their underwear, which is amusing to consider.

Originally Posted by 7d7
I see SH as a neutral character. She will approves whatever doesn't cost her much. Doesn't make her truly good. Then again we only saw her at the beginning of the story. I hope we could move her either way depending on how the narrative unfold.

I'm still operating underthe impression that she's neutral evil until I see real evidence otherwise. She's just neutral evil with a soft spot for urchins and the downtrodden. And all that means is that she buys into the good points of her religion. We've only seen her when there's not much to gain from doing evil. Joining up with a cult isn't exactly something a very religious person would be interested in after all. And she's not the least bit surprised or upset about the remains of the canibal feast you run across in the underdark.

People keep pointing out that you can change these character's alignments in play as though that changes the fact that they're starting from somewhere. They aren't coming into this world as morally blank slates. They have beliefs and feelings and ideals that are currently informing their actions. That you can change them through your own actions doesn't change the fact that if left to their own devices, they'll be something. Shadowheart, if left to her own devices, will continue to worship an evil religion with zero hesitation or compunction. Gale will continue to be at best a hubristic fool who'll probably endanger whole cities because of his certainty that he has everything under control. Lae'zel will be typical githyanki and Astarion will be sadistic, cruel and hungry for power so he can topple his former master and probably take his place as an equally terrible monster. Wyll (pre rewrites at least) would probably go on being an easily manipulated tool of his patron. This is who they start out as, and however much you can change them, if you take issue with those starting points then you may not connect with them enough to WANT to see them change.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
the only party member in EA who is not shady is Lae'zel. She is just a Githyanki with little respect for life in general lol.

Shadowheart: Unless she makes a break-up with her god she will never be good, or even neutral for that matter. However the way she appears in early access is distrustful, but not evil. Yes, she is a trickster but still something doesn't quite fit. I really hope there is a good reason for this, and it is not just bad writing and lack of coherence.

Looking forward to party member quests, I understand that this is an option in full release? I hope we then get to address all the dark secrets and solve their problems. Who knows? Maybe I'll sometime end up with party members that are in balance and can be trusted? But I'm guessing that until we get rid of those tadpoles we'll never fully stop being paranoid lol. And I have the feeling that won't happen before the end of the game. But we'll see.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost

Hmm, I always give him the magical items so I'venever seen him take Rafael's deal. But from what I understand he sells his own soul and only that, which I consider a different thing. It's a bad deal sure, but it only impacts himself really, and considering what he's dealing with it's really a best of bad options situation. Is that what you're referring to or does he do something else more overtly trecherous? And in fairness for the skimpy wardrobe, given the circumstances it's probably literally their underwear, which is amusing to consider.

Yeah, that was it. ANd who the hell runs around adventurung in bondage attire (Lae'zels 'underwear') - that is unpractical and just downright silly imo.

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Solarian
Shadowheart: Unless she makes a break-up with her god she will never be good, or even neutral for that matter. However the way she appears in early access is distrustful, but not evil. Yes, she is a trickster but still something doesn't quite fit. I really hope there is a good reason for this, and it is not just bad writing and lack of coherence.

I don't think there's really any lack of coherence. Shadowheart's evil serves a purpose, elevating Shar and Shar's ideology. So it makes sense she's not just gonna be engaging in random acts of cruelty, especially since she's got more important business - first getting rid of the parasite, then handing over the artefact. She has nothing to gain by doing evil out here, and just because she's willing to do evil things doesn't mean she's constantly hungry to be cruel and malicious. She could very well be looking at those tieflings and thinking "they'd be better off following Shar." She may well be thinking that once she gets to Baldur's Gate, she'll tell her people about them, since the downtrodden and lacking in resources would make good ground for finding potential converts.

veteran
veteran
Well, if there is one thing clear, its that WotC made right decision, when they decided to remove Alignments ...
People clearly dont understand the concept very well.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
S
S
Shadow almost always pops approval from good actions. The only classically good things she doesn't approve of is telling everyone and their mom about the tadpole.

If I remember correctly she approved of robbing the fishermen in EA. She is all about getting to the goal with a minimum of complications but enough means. She is not 'good'. I don't have enough evidence to call her 'evil', despite her service for Shar, though.

Gale seems quite neutralish to me. In EA he is quite easy to satisfy: just give him two artifacts and he would love you.

I would actually love to be possible to push the new Wyll on a darker path. I think if you save the tieflings but support what Mizora wants from the new Wyll, at least for the time being, you might get that. I need a fourth character in my Dark Urge run. One who I both like and fits mechanically with the group. Problem is I don't like Lae'zel and she clashes with SH, Gale works fine with SH and Astarion but is a bit bland. Minthara... unless she falls from grace with the Absolute is a difficult proposition. And yes, I really have to mess up in the tiefling camp, which s possible but in general, the tieflings & Halsin (one of the druids will even allow you loot the treasure of the Grove) offer a way better deal than Minthara, at least in EA.

Last edited by Scales & Fangs; 16/07/23 10:00 AM.
veteran
veteran
People keep pointing out that you can change these character's alignments in play as though that changes the fact that they're starting from somewhere. They aren't coming into this world as morally blank slates. They have beliefs and feelings and ideals that are currently informing their actions. That you can change them through your own actions doesn't change the fact that if left to their own devices, they'll be something. Shadowheart, if left to her own devices, will continue to worship an evil religion with zero hesitation or compunction. Gale will continue to be at best a hubristic fool who'll probably endanger whole cities because of his certainty that he has everything under control. Lae'zel will be typical githyanki and Astarion will be sadistic, cruel and hungry for power so he can topple his former master and probably take his place as an equally terrible monster. Wyll (pre rewrites at least) would probably go on being an easily manipulated tool of his patron. This is who they start out as, and however much you can change them, if you take issue with those starting points then you may not connect with them enough to WANT to see them change.
This^. So this.

Frankly I am baffled by so many people's inability to understand this point. It's not a complicated point. So I have to wonder, is it really that people don't understand this, or is it that they do understand it but don't want to acknowledge it for whatever reasons.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
This^. So this.

Frankly I am baffled by so many people's inability to understand this point. It's not a complicated point. So I have to wonder, is it really that people don't understand this, or is it that they do understand it but don't want to acknowledge it for whatever reasons.

WHat is there to understand? I'm pretty sure, most people are very aware about that point - that is for example, why I don't like Astarion, because he comes across as a jerk from the beginning. But I personally have no issues with Shadowheart, because she is very practically from the beginning, same with Lae'zel and Gale, while Astarion is busy attacking you.
So it boils down to what you are ok with and what not.

Doctor Who
apprentice
apprentice
I wish devs would stop giving Fextra review copies of their games. He's a complete moron with no idea what he's talking about with pretty much everything that isn't a FromSoftware game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
This^. So this.

No one is left to their own devices. We are all subject to the stimulus of our environment.

The Shadowheart in your game is not the Shadowheart in my game. There is no absolute truth as to who Shadowheart is.

to my understanding, there will come a time when Shadowheart has to make a choice, when she's visited by Shar as she's going through one of the waypoints. What will this choice be? Will Shadowheart follow the command of Shar blindly or not? Well, that probably depends on all the things that have influenced her thus far. She is a product of her environment and decisions going on all around, hers, yours, others.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard